Spoke with Hairloss Clinic again...

Reaction score
If you've read my previous posts, I've mentioned that I'm going to a local "hair loss clinic" because I figured that they would be more knowledgable than your average dermatologist. I'm beginning to question that greatly.

After a five minute phone conversation in regards to my initial consult, they're finally giving me Propecia and telling me a few interesting things that I think will be amusing to all of you:

1. Saw Palmetto works. There are multiple studies in Europe that claim that it is even more effective than finasteride (the European part apparently being why my research has not shown this for a Yank like me).

2. Some European studies show that Saw Palmetto is even more effective than finasteride.

3. Saw Palmetto blocks receptors that control hair loss (when I mentioned that I was doing research, I said that I found out that saw palmetto blocks the wrong kind of DHT. They differed).

4. Saw Palmetto and finasteride taken in tandem are doubly effective.

5. Minoxidil makes you shed somewhat, but finasteride does not.

Anyone else find all of this to be just a little bit strange coming from a hair loss clinic?

tpeter

Established Member
Reaction score
IM sure they had those studies in their back pocket waiting for someone to ask.

Berserk

Reaction score
No,No, No! Saw Palmetto does not work. When are people going to stop being so f*****g stupid.

Reaction score
Im not going to use Saw Palmetto after everything I've read.

I didn't ask them for the studies because I was over the phone, but I will when I'm back in there.

The Gardener

Reaction score
MW,

From the previous discussion string we had, I don't think that the Hairloss Centre is a ripoff joint, but I do believe that they are using some common marketing hooks to steer you to their own proprietary products instead of allowing you to get the same active ingredients in products available on the open market at a much cheaper price.

As for Saw Palmetto, they can show studies until they are blue in the face. On paper, Saw Palmetto should have some inhibiting effects on some sorts of DHT. However, the Saw Palmetto they were attempting to sell you in their 'DHT Blocking Shampoo' was a topical application of SP. There are many chemicals that might have some impact on human body functions when taken internally, but when applied topically, nothing! Collagen, for example, is widely (and falsely) marketed as something that is good for skin if taken in a lotion form. The problem is that in order for collagen to have any impact, it has to make its way beneath the epidermis and into the inner layers of skin, which never happens when applied in lotion form because collagen molecules are NOT absorbed by the skin. It's a waste!

If they offer you documentation of SP, ask them if it is from internal or topical application. I doubt that any measurable amount of SP, when applied for a few minutes as part of a shampoo and then rinsed off, has any beneficial impact on hair. I doubt the internal effects of SP as well, so claiming that topical application could be better than finasteride is just plain irresponsible, in my opinion.

Glad you are here at this website. Most of us are finding stuff that WORKS for us, hope you find the right combination for you too.