spironolactone instead of minoxidil?

harey

Established Member
Reaction score
I had to stop minoxidil before starting dutasteride, a) because the minoxidil was causing rapid heartbeat, even in smaller amounts, dry hair, etc., but also because b) i wanted to dutasteride's effectiveness on it's own.

There has been crown shedding, my most affected area as it was, and some slighter frontal thinning, and i've been pretty much shedding for the past 7 months. The shed from the minoxidil should have stopped a long time ago. I'm hoping to see the shed dutasteride hair come back.

Anyway, a) does spironolactone effect blood pressure, which ultimately changes your heartbeat? i thought i remember reading somewhere that it does.

b) if i can't use minoxidil, would it be wise to use spironolactone, as mopping up the additional testost. may not lead to regrowth the way minoxidil does, but should lead to some benefit?

you can do a search for spironolactone to see success stories. but like most threads on this site, they always dissolve into some other disucussion that has nothing to do with the original question.

thanks.

Goingat20

Reaction score
hey harey i dont think spironolactone effects blood pressure, but can someone else clarify this. spironolactone will definately help while using dutasteride. I have been using it now for a month and it seems ok, too early to see changes but it hasnt caused a shed. i would recommend using spironolactone 2% twice a day and 5 % on hair light at night, this will help your hair a lot. Goodluck

harey

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks. i don't have enough of a bald spot to use 5%, that's the problem, just a bald spot on the crown, and i guess my hairline. problem is, 2% is too expensive for me, being a poor social worker, and i can't even follow the explanation for making it yourself, despite being a generally bright individual.

i'm thinking about taking 25 mg. of oral spironolactone. i know that in lessening the chance for sides i'm lessing the chance for positive results, but i'm wondering if 25 of oral would at least mop up *some* of the extra testost.

Goingat20

Reaction score
after reading some posts on oral spironolactone i wouldnt recommend it. Dont worry im a student and all the products i use take up all my savings. The 5 % cream is good value and it will last for a while. You could use it on the crown

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
harey said:
b) if i can't use minoxidil, would it be wise to use spironolactone, as mopping up the additional testost. may not lead to regrowth the way minoxidil does, but should lead to some benefit?

I'll say the same thing about spironolactone versus minoxidil that I do about finasteride versus minoxidil: minoxidil is better in the short-term, spironolactone is better in the long-term. That's because minoxidil probably doesn't interfere with the fundamental balding process, whereas spironolactone (and finasteride) DO interfere with it.

Bryan

powersam

Reaction score
now would be the perfect time for tynan or someone to post that offset of regrowth graph thingy that was flying around about minoxidil