spanish speakers where you live

CCS

Reaction score
Many people here speak spanish all the time. They are bilingual. I don't mind. They are intelligent people going to school, and in good shape. But I often feel left out when they are speeking spanish next to me and I don't know what they are saying. All the more reason to learn spanish though. If they don't know I understand them, I might be able to get honest feedback by hearing what they say about me.

CCS

Reaction score
Not a problem though. They speek english to me when they want to. Seem nice enough. One of my spanish friends once told me if I want to learn spanish fast I should get a spanish girlfriend. Sounds tempting.

ali777

Reaction score
Learning a language from a gf doesn't work.... take my word for it... I've tried it and it ends in an argument :dunno:

You have to differentiate between a gf and a personal tutor. The moment she gets the feeling of being a "personal tutor", she'll make you pay for it.

Do you watch Scrubs? Have you ever seen nurse Carla Espinoza teach Dr Turk Spanish??? Whoever wrote the script knows couples do not cooperate that way.

I'm not saying a gf wouldn't teach you Spanish, I'm saying it's more likely to end in a disaster.

The Gardener

Reaction score
You don't know Spanish, CCS? Please don't tell me you took French in High School... lol...

This is an opportunity for you... does the city you live in have a parks and recreation program? In my city, the city offers foreign language classes that are reasonably priced. I suggest you sign up for a Spanish class, if not through your city, then perhaps through a local community college, as a walk-on. Walk on's, or "extension" students (those taking classes piecemeal and NOT in pursuit of the awarding of a degree) often get discounts on course fees.

But MOST of all, this would be a great way of meeting more girls!

Ian Curtis

Established Member
Reaction score
Lol, or you could take portuguese lessons and you'd know both languages at the same time :woot:

CCS

Reaction score
I took 2 years of spanish. That is enough for me to understand every other word or every 3rd word, or a few phrases, and take to them a bit in spanish. I'm far from fluent.

I would be good to learn another 2 years or more. If nothing else, I could take an english girl with me to south america and do all the translating.

The Gardener

Reaction score
Okay, CCS... here is the money line:

"Esta llevaba pantalones de astronauta?.... porque su trasero está FUERA de este mundo!"

ali777

Reaction score
^
|

I'm gonna learn that....

I think I'm like CCS, I understand some words, but I'm far from speaking Spanish...

TBH, learning Spanish just to use it on an occasional holiday in sunny Espana sounds like waste of my resources :innocent:

patagonia

Established Member
Reaction score
The Gardener said:

"Esta llevaba pantalones de astronauta?.... porque su trasero está FUERA de este mundo!"

el senior Gardener es muy romantico....

Ian Curtis

Established Member
Reaction score
The Gardener said:

jejejejejejeje