Soy and Tofu-Stopping DHT?

rill

Established Member
Reaction score
In the new york times (I think!) there was an article with a professor from Colorado who had researched along with his team about Soy and Tofu.
They found out that a biproduct from soy and ofu inhibited DHT and they where optimistic that this could help against enlarged prostate and ofcourse male pattern baldness.
Dont get your hopes up but a glass of soy wont hurt, personally Im using soyproteinpowder directly after Workout.

DANOBLASTER

Reaction score
i eat soy on a daily basis. Soy burgers, soy chicken, soy milk, soy everything. I'm a vegetarian. none of this soy seems to be doing jack for my hairline.

peterteg1999

Reaction score
DANOBLASTER said:
i eat soy on a daily basis. Soy burgers, soy chicken, soy milk, soy everything. I'm a vegetarian. none of this soy seems to be doing jack for my hairline.

Me 2...

I am chinese, my mom use to make Tofu everything. Tofu tomatoes soup, tofu egg soup, tofu vegetables, etc etc.. .i drink soy milk everyday...

Still losing hair like all of you...

George Costanza

Established Member
Reaction score
Soy is suppose to only work for hairloss if a chemical called equol is produced in the intestines. It's equol that keeps dht from binding to androgen receptor sites. The problem is only 35% of people produce equol after consuming soy. At least that's what a recent study showed.

Odelay

Established Member
Reaction score
f*****g hell, now I am going to have to go out and get some type of soy milk or a soy suppliment. I know it is a very long shot this info isn't total BS, but I guess soy is good for you anyways which might make it worth a try for a few months. Damnit!

rill

Established Member
Reaction score
It was only supposed to be an interesting fact so dont quit finasteride just yet...

kiwi1973

Established Member
Reaction score
well maybe one day they will make a super strong soya pill that will help fight hairloss
other then that i dont think drinking a bit of soya milk will do much,cant hurt i guess

Odelay

Established Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about just getting a Soy I.V. hooked up to my scalp, I figure it might look odd, but it's worth the risk.

George Costanza

Established Member
Reaction score
Seriously though, we may see an equol product on the market some day which would keep dht from binding to AR sites systematically without effecting t levels or dht levels. Here's that recent study again.

Soy consumption could help prevent prostate cancer and male pattern baldness
Posted on Monday, March 29 @ 09:28:58 PST by bjs

A team of scientists has discovered that a little-known molecule created in the intestine when soy is digested is a natural and powerful blocker of a potent male hormone involved in prostate cancer and male pattern baldness. In fact, the molecule, equol, completely stops in its tracks the male hormone dihydrotestosterone (DHT), which normally stimulates prostate growth and causes male pattern baldness.

From Children's Hospital Medical Center of Cincinnati:

Soy consumption could help prevent prostate cancer and male pattern baldness

A team of scientists has discovered that a little-known molecule created in the intestine when soy is digested is a natural and powerful blocker of a potent male hormone involved in prostate cancer and male pattern baldness. In fact, the molecule, equol, completely stops in its tracks the male hormone dihydrotestosterone (DHT), which normally stimulates prostate growth and causes male pattern baldness.

"This molecule is remarkable," says Kenneth Setchell, PhD, director of Clinical Mass Spectrometry at Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center, who first identified equol in humans 20 years ago. "These findings are of immense clinical importance because blocking the action of the potent androgen (male hormone) DHT has been one of the holy grails of the pharmaceutical industry as a strategy for treating prostate cancer and other related diseases. This natural metabolite made from soy isoflavones, which are found in high amounts in soybeans, does this very effectively."

The study, which tested the response to equol in rats, was conducted at Colorado State University, Brigham Young University, and Cincinnati Children's and appears in the April edition of Biology of Reproduction.

In recent years, the pharmaceutical industry has developed drugs that inhibit a certain enzyme that converts testosterone to DHT. Unfortunately, these drugs have side effects. Equol, on the other hand, doesn't prevent DHT from being made but prevents it from functioning. It puts "handcuffs" on DHT, preventing it from binding to the androgen receptor and thereby preventing the prostate from growing. This may be particularly important for men who have been diagnosed with either an enlarged prostate (benign prostatic hyperplasia, or BPH) or cancer of the prostate.

"Directly binding and inactivating DHT without influencing testosterone gives equol the ability to reduce many of the harmful effects of androgens without affecting the beneficial ones," said Robert J. Handa, PhD, senior author of the study and professor in the department of biomedical sciences at Colorado State's College of Veterinary Medicine.

"The novelty of equol is that it both inhibits androgen hormone and influences estrogen hormone action," adds Edwin Lephart, PhD, professor of physiology and developmental biology and director of the Neuroscience Center at Brigham Young University. "We do not know of any other molecule that possesses these important biochemical properties."

Two experiments demonstrated that injections of equol into male rats reduced the size of the prostate. In one study, the testes of male rats were removed, thereby eliminating all DHT production. When investigators injected DHT into rats, their prostates grew. When they gave rats equol, nothing happened at all. When they injected rats with both equol and DHT, the equol prevented the DHT from functioning as it normally would – as a stimulator of prostate growth.

In other words, equol did not change hormone levels but completely blocked the effects of DHT in rats. This could explain why men in Japan, who eat more soy than American men but suffer equally from BPH as they age, rarely go on to have prostate cancer, according to Dr. Setchell. Several human studies have demonstrated the advantages of eating soy in reducing the risk of prostate cancer.

So far, research has established the relevance of DHT in the growth of male reproductive organs and, given the importance of DHT in the skin, it is possible that equol may offer a means of controlling hair loss and promoting healthy skin. The researchers have initiated further studies of equol to assess its potential as a treatment for a variety of other androgen-mediated conditions. The team has filed patent applications on equol and hopes to commercialize the technology.

The lead author of the study was Trent Lund, assistant professor in the department of biomedical sciences at Colorado State.

kiwi1973

Established Member
Reaction score
so thet did the reserch at the Children's Hospital Medical Center of Cincinnati:

how many kids do you know with prostate or hairloss problems????

George Costanza

Established Member
Reaction score
Dude, reread the article. The research was performed on rats and was done at three different places.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
That's really an amazing find George, thanks for posting it.

Keep in mind guys, regular soy, when consumed has been shown to increase estrogen. So just eating soy isn't going to equivilate (is that a word?) Equol.

HairLossTalk.com

The Gardener

Reaction score
HairLossTalk.com speaks the truth. I remember a citation that BruceLee made saying the same. Consumption of large amounts of soy tends to shift the testosterone/estrogen balance in males ever so slightly in to the direction of estrogen.

Now, for most people, given the fact that soy is a vital component of diet in many areas of the world, probably does not have much in the way of side effects. But for some, it might.

Nevertheless, when I started my healthy living regime (which I started that same time I started my hairloss regimen) I have two servings of soy milk a day with breakfast. Irregardless of it's potential effects on my male pattern baldness, I eat soy because the isoflavones mentioned in the article above are fantastic for your cardiovascular system, and are anecdotally said to be cancer-fighters. Did you know that the regular soy-eating nations on the planet (Japan, China, et al) have breast cancer rates among women that are less than HALF of what Western nations have? I know, I know, not scientific.... but this fact, plus the BPH/prostate cancer factoid mentioned above, should perhaps give us notice.

By the way, what you mention is hot news. The study was mentioned on the front page of today's BBC:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3607815.stm

jblig

Established Member
Reaction score
HairlossTalk said:
That's really an amazing find George, thanks for posting it.

Keep in mind guys, regular soy, when consumed has been shown to increase estrogen. So just eating soy isn't going to equivilate (is that a word?) Equol.

HairLossTalk.com

So the consumption of what kind of soy can stop baldness? If this type of soy isnt consumed than the whole notion is somewhat fallible.

Fuzz

Reaction score
The Equol byproduct is created in the intestine when (the soy isoflavone) daidzein is digested. Best bet are supps.

Check out: http://www.lef.org/newsletter/2004/2004_03_29.html

LEF's Mega Soy Extract providse more than twice the amount of active soy isoflavones consumed daily in Japan, including daidzein.

You could always try other brands, if you consider using this as a treatment.