Sorta messed up my supply of RU58841. Any chance of salvage?

lizardwizard

My Regimen
Reaction score
Warning: Embarrassing stupidity.
Sup y'all, I've been using RU58841 sporadically because I was cheap and only bought one bottle and was too broke to order more, so it was essentially useless. When I got paid again, I ordered two more premixed bottles, and then the raw powder as a separate order so I wouldn't have to keep buying premixed, since Im going to need this for a long time.

Long story short, I got a different solution from the first bottle, and made my hair feel waxy and I didn't like it. For some reason I thought it was a good idea to put a drop of water in my premixed RU and quickly realized that was dumb as hell because the powder undissolved and made the liquid cloudy. Overnight, there became a pile of powder at the bottom. I know this is useless now. I don't know why I put water in it without doing research, but there's no use crying about that now since I already did it.

Is there any chance of fixing this or making it usable? I highly doubt it, but I need to ask. Could I strain the powder, let it dry, and reuse it? Or is that silly too?

Please don't be mean, I've learned my lesson, thanks.

corkmeister

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the effects were of adding water to it but if you wanna salvage it I would

Let the entire bottle of whatever liquid is left evaporate so you end up with only the powder
Dissolve the powder in some ethanol/PG vehicle

lizardwizard

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the effects were of adding water to it but if you wanna salvage it I would

Let the entire bottle of whatever liquid is left evaporate so you end up with only the powder
Dissolve the powder in some ethanol/PG vehicle
Yeah that's basically what I did. I strained it in a mesh bowl or whatever it's called and left it out for like a little over 24 hours. It almost definitely lost some potency being left in room temperature conditions but I tried to keep it dark for most of the time.

I got the solution to be pretty clear, I already had Everclear and PG for my impending new powder, which hasn't arrived yet, or else I would be using it. It wasn't as much liquid as I started with, and again Im sure it is not quite as strong... but it's better than letting the whole thing go to waste. Evidently you lose some powder while straining because it'll stick to the utensils.

To anyone googling this or having made the same mistake as me, you can try this or do yourself a favor and never consider water in the first place. My original mix was in KB Solution from Anageninc and I thought it would have retracted the waxy unpleasant texture left on my hair. Don't ask why, I never looked it up before doing it.
2.5 grams of powder per 50 mL of PG/Ethanol solution, starting with 35 mL of Ethanol (Everclear in my case) and 15 mL of Propylene Glycol.