Somebody push me

Failing Follicles

Reaction score
Hello my balding brothers

I'm new to all of this but hope you'll bear with me despite the fact you've probably heard it all before. Mine is the usual story: began losing my beautiful, thick and glossy hair at 20, discovered Toppik aged 25 and spent the next four years choking on an increasingly thick cloud of the stuff in an effort to cover the thinning as my hair continued to desert in disloyal droves. I know much success is written about finasteride but I've read the stories of impotence and Lord knows what else - no thanks. Anyway 8 months ago the Toppik had to stop as I'm by now a definite NW6 with a gleaming, shiny head so in a fit of madness I switched to a "system" (why do they call them that? It's a bloody wig, end of) which has been the worst mistake of my life - despite doing my homework, getting a top quality unit and a great stylist, half the time I still look like there's a small furry rodent glued to my head and have discovered all the horror stories about sideways glances and smirks from strangers, paranoia, colour / blend difficulties and hours in front of the mirror to be true.

I'm so pissed off with the stupid thing that I'm almost at the stage where I bin the rodent (or burn the damn thing, even better) and shave my head. Trouble is I've tried this before and discovered I look worse than Uncle Fester on a bad day - my skull's all knobbly and there are huge moles everywhere (remember the Ferengi in Star Trek?!). However after 8 months of living under the dead rat (it's not living though is it? It controls you and everything you do) I reckon the Ferengi look is the lesser of two evils and I just need a little push to pluck up the guts to be rid of this ridiculous, vain attempt to hold on to my youthful appearance and take my life back.

If anyone's done this do you have any words of wisdom? I so want to be rid of this all-controlling, demonic, frizzy little life-wrecker but can't quite take the plunge... somebody push me... please... :firing:

MichiganBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
If you cant get it to look right, or your stylist cant help, then yes you should ditch it and move on.
It is likely that if it dont look so good to you, then it looks like a rug to others too.

This isnt for everyone, and hey if after a few years there becomes a better hairpeice or something you can always go back to it if you wanted.
There are some guys who have taken it off and went with the shaved look, but the thing is they rarely come back to the forums after that.
Heres some links to other discussions where guys have done it and are happier now-

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/mess ... adid=76813

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/mess ... adid=38029

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... hp?t=14609

This next guy (great chef) wore one a long time ago, took it off and shaved, and is now back to wearing again-
http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/mess ... adid=58743

So yes, take it off and shave it if at least just to take a break from it.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Failing Follicles said:
in a fit of madness I switched to a "system" (why do they call them that? It's a bloody wig, end of) which has been the worst mistake of my life - despite doing my homework, getting a top quality unit and a great stylist, half the time I still look like there's a small furry rodent glued to my head and have discovered all the horror stories about sideways glances and smirks from strangers, paranoia, colour / blend difficulties and hours in front of the mirror to be true.

I'm so pissed off with the stupid thing that I'm almost at the stage where I bin the rodent (or burn the damn thing, even better) and shave my head. Trouble is I've tried this before and discovered I look worse than Uncle Fester on a bad day - my skull's all knobbly and there are huge moles everywhere (remember the Ferengi in Star Trek?!). However after 8 months of living under the dead rat (it's not living though is it? It controls you and everything you do) I reckon the Ferengi look is the lesser of two evils and I just need a little push to pluck up the guts to be rid of this ridiculous, vain attempt to hold on to my youthful appearance and take my life back.
If anyone's done this do you have any words of wisdom? I so want to be rid of this all-controlling, demonic, frizzy little life-wrecker but can't quite take the plunge... somebody push me... please... :firing:

This is the wrong section to be postong a anti hairpiece post.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Failing Follicles said:
I'm new to all of this but hope you'll bear with me despite the fact you've probably heard it all before. Mine is the usual story: began losing my beautiful, thick and glossy hair at 20, discovered Toppik aged 25 and spent the next four years choking on an increasingly thick cloud of the stuff in an effort to cover the thinning as my hair continued to desert in disloyal droves. I know much success is written about finasteride but I've read the stories of impotence and Lord knows what else - no thanks.

So because of some horror stories (that supposedly are experienced by only 2% of users) you never even attempted to try the one thing that could have saved your hair?
Its more likely than not that had you got on finasteride years ago you would'nt be writing this post.

Failing Follicles

Reaction score
S.A.F. - I don't quite see the point in saying
Its more likely than not that had you got on finasteride years ago you would'nt be writing this post.
Like that never crossed my mind... anyway have a look at the link below and maybe you'll get more of an idea of why I'm disinclined to go the finasteride route. Bear in mind it's a forum for UNRESOLVED problems.

http://www.propeciahelp.com/forum/

Who knows what 50 years on the stuff (assuming it's still available in 2058) will do?

I'm not having a go at finasteride users so don't take it the wrong way. Btw, I assumed that a hairpiece post, good or bad, was best placed in the "hairpiece" forum, as opposed to transplants or wherever. It you would prefer this post to appear elsewhere, just say and I'll stick it up there as well.

Meta-Monster!

Reaction score
If you feel that a shaved head is the better of the two routes, then by all means go for it.

I have a few questions I'd like to ask regarding your hairpiece:

1) Is the base made entirely of fine swiss lace?
2) Does its hair color and density match that of your back and your sides?
3) Does the direction of the hairpiece hair match the direction of your natural hair?
4) Are you gluing it down to the top of your head? (i.e. not using tape or clips)
5) Was the template your piece was made from concave in nature? (i.e. made to form the actual, 3D shape of your head)
6) Are you picking a realistic hairline that suits your level of baldness?
7) Are you replacing your piece in a timely manner? (i.e. a new piece every 3-4 months instead wearing of the same one for 8 months straight)

If your answer to most of the above questions is no, then I'd certainly imagine your hairpiece would look terrible.