SOD, whats the point?

morpheus

Reaction score
tell me someone what is the pointin taking oral super oxide dismutase?

it is a complex protein molecule, an enzyme, and as many might know, proteins are chopped in in the small and large bowels by enzymes such as peptidase, the intact protein molecule, is initially cleaved into long chain peptides, then into its constituent amino acids, so it can then be absorbed across the gut membrane into the blood stream.

these amino acids, such as alanine, glycine, arginine, tryptophan etc are now singal amino acids with no memory of the protein they originated from, so it is physically an impossible they they will reasemble once again back into superoxide dismutase... only DNA can assemble proteins from constituent amino acids.

I am a scientist, ive done a phd in protein chemistry, so i konw what im on about, so imho oral tablets of SOD are a complete con...

unless the intact protein can be absorbed across the membranes... very unlikey, the acid in the stomach starts braking protiens down by acidcatalysed hydrolysis, just tthough yow lot might like to know that before you spend stacks on SOD tabs for oral ingestion, unless theres something i dont know about

G

morpheus said:

it is a complex protein molecule, an enzyme, and as many might know, proteins are chopped in in the small and large bowels by enzymes such as peptidase, the intact protein molecule, is initially cleaved into long chain peptides, then into its constituent amino acids, so it can then be absorbed across the gut membrane into the blood stream.

these amino acids, such as alanine, glycine, arginine, tryptophan etc are now singal amino acids with no memory of the protein they originated from, so it is physically an impossible they they will reasemble once again back into superoxide dismutase... only DNA can assemble proteins from constituent amino acids.

I am a scientist, ive done a phd in protein chemistry, so i konw what im on about, so imho oral tablets of SOD are a complete con...

unless the intact protein can be absorbed across the membranes... very unlikey, the acid in the stomach starts braking protiens down by acidcatalysed hydrolysis, just tthough yow lot might like to know that before you spend stacks on SOD tabs for oral ingestion, unless theres something i dont know about

I dont know any credible support for oral SOD in male pattern baldness.

morpheus

Reaction score
its just that SOD oral tablets are readily available, not sure what people do here, ive crushed them, and disolved them then applied, I cant really comment on topical use, there certainly wont be the same concentrations of peptidase and other protein breakers in the scalp, so im sure it wont hurt, wether the protein (SOD) is absored to the bits that matter around the hair follicle is open to debate,but large proteins arnt readily absorbed through the skin, they are just too big, not sure how big SOD is, but im sure its active site contains colated Cu (copper), so it sure isnt a small enzyme, not sure how many KDa its is though, or wether there is a gate thru the skin for a certain size of protein, but i think its unlikely

G

morpheus said:
its just that SOD oral tablets are readily available, not sure what people do here, ive crushed them, and disolved them then applied, I cant really comment on topical use, there certainly wont be the same concentrations of peptidase and other protein breakers in the scalp, so im sure it wont hurt, wether the protein (SOD) is absored to the bits that matter around the hair follicle is open to debate,but large proteins arnt readily absorbed through the skin, they are just too big, not sure how big SOD is, but im sure its active site contains colated Cu (copper), so it sure isnt a small enzyme, not sure how many KDa its is though, or wether there is a gate thru the skin for a certain size of protein, but i think its unlikely

Since there are forms of topical SODs that DO get absorbed such as folligen, NANO etc, why don't you use them?

morpheus

Reaction score
i will try folligen if its had results for people in my situation, all the articles on HairLossTalk.com dont actually state that folligen is or contains SOD, just copper sulphate (CuSO4) and hydrolysed soy protein, with sulphated urea and some fillers plus aloe vera, so it doesnt actually contain structural super oxide dismutase, there may be articles indicating that its a SOD mimic, cant find them, and is there any science behind them?
it states folligen acts like a barrier...

G

morpheus said:
i will try folligen if its had results for people in my situation, all the articles on HairLossTalk.com dont actually state that folligen is or contains SOD, just copper sulphate (CuSO4) and hydrolysed soy protein, with sulphated urea and some fillers plus aloe vera, so it doesnt actually contain structural super oxide dismutase, there may be articles indicating that its a SOD mimic, cant find them, and is there any science behind them?
it states folligen acts like a barrier...

Dr. Pickart is very good about answering emails. If you cant find the references on skinbiology.com, email him up.

I am very convinced that folligen assists in fighting male pattern baldness from my personal experience. Moreover, it very def helps prevent hair from graying.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
morpheus said:

There is none. None whatsoever.

morpheus said:

You are correct, of course. As Durk Pearson and Sandy Shaw pointed out 20 years ago, oral SOD is digested to the tune of about 99.99%. I'm amazed that you can even still find the stuff for sale in health food stores.

morpheus said:
unless the intact protein can be absorbed across the membranes... very unlikey, the acid in the stomach starts braking protiens down by acidcatalysed hydrolysis...

Oh, does stomach acid SLOW DOWN proteins (it "brakes" them)??

Sorry, I just couldn't resist! :D

Bryan

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
morpheus said:
i will try folligen if its had results for people in my situation, all the articles on HairLossTalk.com dont actually state that folligen is or contains SOD, just copper sulphate (CuSO4) and hydrolysed soy protein, with sulphated urea and some fillers plus aloe vera, so it doesnt actually contain structural super oxide dismutase, there may be articles indicating that its a SOD mimic, cant find them...

You are correct: when we talk about "SOD" on hairloss sites, 99% of the time we're actually referring to SOD mimetics (copper peptides, PBN, TEMPOL, etc.), not the actual human SOD protein. We really ought to be more precise about that, because it sometimes causes confusion and misunderstanding.

morpheus said:
...and is there any science behind them?

Yes. I've posted in the past about some human and animal trials that used topical copper peptides successfully.

Bryan