so it's been 5 years

Hoppi

Reaction score
Meh, kind of :)

I have enough faith in the human race though to believe that there are enough determined scientists out there (probably many of them suffering from male pattern baldness themselves!) who want to see the back of it!

Plus, if we care enough about it, raise money for it somehow. You would only have about 55% of the world's men on your side :)

cuebald

Reaction score
Seeing John Travolta's piece has pretty much proven to me that all 'pieces can be detected.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... r-wig.html

I mean, this guy will have probably £millions at his disposal and yet that is the best he can do.
If it can be seen with a camera, imagine what people will see when they look at you in sunlight?

You might not be able to detect the piece under incandescent bathroom light, but when you go out into bright fluorescent light I bet the piece becomes obvious. People will know you're wearing and you'll become a laughing stock because of it.
You might as well be wearing Snickers on your head like in the Snickers wig advert http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji7VmldBE_A

Hoppi

Reaction score
I think they look fine :)

Look!

http://www.hairdirect.com/video/clients/ron.aspx

and there's a ton of other stuff that looks good too. I think the longer the hair is, the easier it is to conceal that it's a hair piece or toupee or whatever.

But whatever... I mean I just don't think being bald would suit me, so I'd probably go to hair direct or virtual reality or something if I was ever in that situation :)

It's all good :)

Fender89

Established Member
Reaction score
dudemon, no offence but your opinion on the big pharm companies developing perfect designer babies and making them artificial or whatever is complete BS. Well, ok maybe it will happen.. but not for a LONG time i'm sure. Also, nobody has thought as much about it as you have. You really think some businessman sat there and thought "Right.. so we will make artificial men who can never get male pattern baldness and then we won't have to make an male pattern baldness cure"? LOLOLOL. Seriously that's a funny thought dude.

GeminiX

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of cynicism, but there is a lot of faith in what Dudemon and others say, I see it and am even part of it to a degree day-to-day.

I can't discuss too much about what I do for a living, though most of the regulars here know I work in IT. We have products in our lab/development servers which are significantly better than the products we sell, however some of the features will make our current portfolio obsolete and we would no longer make money from them. We even hold patents on applications and techologies which will simply never see the light of day, we simply make more money by holding them back and selling licenses for older, more stable products.

We're also certainly not the only company who does this and I have experience of this kind of market control going back to the early 80's (Ultimate's "Knght Lore" anyone...); It's just good business.

If we're doing it with computer software, it's fair to make the assumpion that many (most?) companies with a market lead will do the same thing.

Boondock

Reaction score
We're also certainly not the only company who does this and I have experience of this kind of market control going back to the early 80's (Ultimate's "Knght Lore" anyone...); It's just good business.

If we're doing it with computer software, it's fair to make the assumpion that many (most?) companies with a market lead will do the same thing.

This may be true in a lot of areas, and might explain why Pfizer bought the Intercytex patent.

I would say the incentive structure in hairloss is not geared up to promote this kind of denial, however. Minoxidil is more or less free game, and propecia's patent is expiring in a few years. Pharma doesn't make much money on patent-expired medication; it could make a lot out of a new treatment.

I would also say that it's one thing to sit on technology, but quite another to (as Dudemon suggests) promote a conspiracy of disinformation about hair multiplication, in order to drive people towards current hair transplants. That's just utterly, utterly ludicrous. It's like Feller and Hasson & Wong are sitting in a darkened room manically laughing at the genius of their plan.

s.a.f

Reaction score
I think that there probably is much ongoing work being done to research a cure, but the plain truth is that we're still far away from any real cure.

If minoxidil and finasteride were really effective then the 'holding back' a cure theory might be relevent but the fact is they are so unreliable that most baldies will only give them a temporary trial then give up.
Any real cure that gave a good head of hair would be a must have buy even for those guys out there who generaly accept their hairloss it would be tempting enough. The only bigger seller would have to be a penis enlargement pill that worked!
I think that any cure that will come along (and it probably wont be for 10 - 20 yrs at least) will probably be developed from an offshoot of another medical breakthrough eg skin/organ regenration for burns/cancer victims.

Ps You can imagine the guys back in the 70's and 80's thinking if only I was younger they're bound to have a cure for this sometime before the end of the century.

Nene

Reaction score
I think if you do the research you'll find that minoxidil and probably finasteride don't make as much money as you think. I doubt there is some conspiracy where big pharma is satisfied milking finasteride and minoxidil so they won't push for a bigger a cure. I think it's just not a priority atm.

Hope4hairRedux

Established Member
Reaction score
Right now, my hairloss seems to be at the back of my mind.

Its probably still one of the big issues at the moment. But at the moment, its all a blur, just like my life as a whole. Living a semi comatose - zombie lifestyle.

Ive accepted the inital shitness of it so far. Thinning on top is the real motherfucker. Everyone before is just a warm up as far as Im concerned. The reality, that if and when I start to thin on top, I will essientally have to shave the top and sides of my hair on my head of, feels me with deep foreboding.

That one way or another, Ill end up a bald, white slaphead. The thought sends shivers down my spine.

I plan to go and live in a hot country and make myself into a walnut. Better that then looking like a pasty slaphead. Or perhaps not a 'walnut'..But I feel its fairly logical to realise that having good sun all year round will make you better looking bald. Black people dont look 'bald' as such. I find the whiter you are, the worse it looks. Generally.

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hope4hairRedux said:

Its probably still one of the big issues at the moment. But at the moment, its all a blur, just like my life as a whole. Living a semi comatose - zombie lifestyle.

Ive accepted the inital shitness of it so far. Thinning on top is the real M*****F*****. Everyone before is just a warm up as far as Im concerned. The reality, that if and when I start to thin on top, I will essientally have to shave the top and sides of my hair on my head of, feels me with deep foreboding.

That one way or another, Ill end up a bald, white slaphead. The thought sends shivers down my spine.

H4Hredux I think that is something you should worry about once it actually starts happening, because TBH this is like worrying about death. It could happen, but you dont know when, but then again, it might not happen - not at least for another 20 years. At which point, you will live in regret for wasting your youth.

And for the record, I have exactly the same fear as you. Going to the hairdressers now, is such a traumatic experience, in case I find out that I have lost more ground.

I find in its early stages, a good haircut from a good stylist does absolutely wonders!

superfrankie

Established Member
Reaction score
Oknow said:
Hope4hairRedux said:

Ive accepted the inital shitness of it so far. Thinning on top is the real M*****F*****. Everyone before is just a warm up as far as Im concerned. The reality, that if and when I start to thin on top, I will essientally have to shave the top and sides of my hair on my head of, feels me with deep foreboding.

And for the record, I have exactly the same fear as you. Going to the hairdressers now, is such a traumatic experience, in case I find out that I have lost more ground.

How can it be a traumatic experience when you have zero hairloss you stupid f***. Stop wasting your time on forums like this and get serious help for your EXTREM BDD.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
superfrankie said:
Oknow said:
Hope4hairRedux said:

How can it be a traumatic experience when you have zero hairloss you stupid f*ck. Stop wasting your time on forums like this and get serious help for your EXTREM BDD.
I'm with SF on this. You are just like all the others who come here and talk like you have a problem but you still have a full head of hair. It's insulting to those of us who have legitimate hairloss and legitimate suffering. I'm just disgusted with you!