So I Met With Dr. ******** Regarding Fue In The Crown

spooon

Established Member
Reaction score
So i met with ********. He says i have diffuse hair loss in the crown. The loss area measures 15cm by 17cm which gives a circular area of 200cm2. In order to achieve 25FU/cm2 density (i'm not sure how this looks cosmetically?) i would need 25 x 200 = 5000 FU. Apparently 25FU/cm2 is sufficient to not look like you're balding but my own research says this will still be 'see-through'. He went onto say that it is never advisable to go for 5000 in the crown and advises keeping some powder dry for the front. So he recommends 2500 FU from the head and 500 from the beard (apparently my beard hair is similar to my head hair). The hair density of my hair in two non-balding areas is 70 FU/cm2 which is apparently 'average'. Amazingly the density in my thin crown is also 70cm2 it's just that the hair is too weak and thin to have any cosmetic effect. I asked about shock loss and he said even if i lost the the existing hairs it would be no great loss since they had no cosmetic benefit. He also observed that my 'safe donor zone' wasn't what it might be due to my diffuse crown having a V shape at the back leaving the gap between the V and the nape less than ideal. Apparently i have retrograde alopecia at the nape but i don't agree since I ask my barber to raise my hair line deliberately so it's just short.

Thoughts please? If only i could find a way to thicken up my existing hair.

He mentioned i might want to consider topical finasteride that is apparently commonly used in Italy primarily because the pharmacy that dispenses is based over there.

follicle2001

Established Member
Reaction score
I would proceed with caution. The crown is the "black hole" of grafts. You may spend a lot of time, money, and grafts to end up with a result you are disappointed with.