Snarfleflous's Story

Snarfleflous

Reaction score
Hey dudes,

I'm 24, and I started losing my hair at around 18 or 19. I had longish curly hair at the time, and my then-girlfriend gently pointed out that my hair was thinning on the crown of my head. About six months after that I went on Propecia, and have been on it ever since, with the exception of a few spells here and there when I'd forget my pills on overnight trips or have trouble renewing my prescription. I can't say for sure that my hair hasn't thinned any more, nor can I really say that it has. My hair style has changed several times over these past years, mostly as part of an effort to minimize the visibility of my scalp, which further obscures any kind of objective evaluation of my progress.

Within the past year or so I've become more conscious of my hair loss--it SEEMS like its getting worse, but that might all just be in my head (so to speak). I've seen the crown of my head on security cameras in stores, and have been rather taken aback at the visibility of my scalp. It seems that in the past two years I've had to take extra care to style my hair to minimize this visibility. And yet, my scalp is always still partly visible through the hair on my crown. I can't really tell where I am on the Norwood scale because I basically still have a full head of hair, but if I had to geuss what I would look like in 20 years without any treatment I'd say a 6 or 7.

Keep in mind that I've had to deal with a nasty breakup with a long-term girlfriend, graduating from college, new jobs, etc., and I don't consider myself to have been in the best state of mind in the last 18 months or so to evaluate the severity of my hair loss. During this period I was self-conscious and depressed, not to mention panicky and desperate, and I bought a bunch of herbal products that I thought might augment the benefits of the Propecia. After starting on Procerin (and continuing on Propecia) things continued without much loss or regrowth. Recently however, after using Procerin for 6 months, I noticed new growth at the hair line and temples, and went online to reorder.

My financial situation has taken a downturn in the last few months, so the price of the Procerin looked even more daunting. Cautious, I did a little googling, and that's when I stumbled on this site.

Perhaps I'm just catching my hair in a regrowth cycle or something--I've never experienced what I'd describe as a "shed", but maybe I just haven't really noticed it. After reading the info on this site I decided not to re-order Procerin, which even if the saw palmetto DOES have some benefit, is still a rip-off. I'm definitely going to get some Nizoral, but I'm wondering if I should go for the "big 3" and try the minoxidil as well. And, since the first real signs of regrowth I've ever experienced only appeared after I'd been taking saw palmetto for six months, should I try to find some cheaper saw palmetto tablets to replace the Procerin?

Basically, my goal is long-term maintenance, in that if I had to live with my current hair-count for the rest of my adult life, I'd be happy. But what would really knock me out is if I could get a little regrowth so my hair didn't look so thin on top.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

damnthis

Established Member
Reaction score
Well if you want a litlle regrowth the minoxidil could do that for you, what it does is give you an offset of extra growth but does not interfere with the fundamental balding process.

If the saw palmetto helped or you think it did, then why not pick up some cheaper ones.

so how long have you been on propecia now?

good luck and keep us updated

Snarfleflous

Reaction score
God, I guess I've been on Propecia for well over four years now. I'm looking into a cheaper finasteride. For awhile it was covered by my insurance, which kicked ***, but then they stopped covering it, and now I don't have any insurance. When I think about all the change I've dropped on that stuff it makes me want to pull all my remaining hair out.

Britannia

Reaction score
Hi. What ever you referred to above that has appeared as ******* is a scam. Thats why it appeared like this. Saw palmetto and treatments or supplements containing it are highly controversal - there is absoloutley zero scientific evidence supporting its use in hair loss. As you are taking Propecia, even the claimed benefits for Saw Palmetto would have no effect on you, because you are already reducing DHT in your system.
As to the cost of Propecia hammering you, theres a simple solution. Use Finpecia manufactered by Cipla. It can be found here: http://www.inhousepharmacy.com . Its the exact same drug as Propecia.

Snarfleflous

Reaction score
1 year update

I started minoxidil last march. I didn't notice any SEVERE shedding, but eventually I saw some small fine hairs growing around my hairline. This gave me hope.

In the summer I continued to maintain a decent head of hair with no severe problems. Nevertheless, I decided to add Folligen in the fall to strengthen my regimen with a copper peptide.

Now it's January, and I'm pretty sure my hair has been thinning more rapidly, ever since this past November. I still seem to be growing a few new hairs around my hairline (mostly very fine and colorless), but my scalp is more visible than ever. I don't have a camera so I haven't really been able to track my progress objectively.

My questions now are:

Is shedding common even after having spent several months on the various treatments? Is it common to continue to go through cycles of shedding even after months or years of consistent treatment?

Is shedding at all seasonal? I seem to be more aware of my scalp in the winter months...has anyone else experienced this?

WorldofWarcraft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Snarfleflous said:
During this period I was self-conscious and depressed, not to mention panicky and desperate, and I bought a bunch of herbal products that I thought might augment the benefits of the Propecia.

Panicky and desperate are a great way to discribe it. How about, entering the worst nightmere you can imagine in real life? Or how about, watching the possibility of a decent life die as your hair falls out?

Life is a sack of sh*t. I can't wait for the coming time-period when the sun burns out and ends this cruel joke of life forever so that no living person has to suffer this sh*t.

Snarfleflous

Reaction score
Wow nice does of negativity!

Hair loss sucks, but even if I'm bald it doesn't mean I don't have the right to live my life to the fullest, and f*** anyone who says otherwise.

I'm just trying to do the best I can to keep my hair, because I like it. Beyond the best I can do, I JUST HAVE TO ACCEPT IT.

I know its hard, and there've been plenty if times when I've felt just like you...there's a folder for venting isn't there?

barcafan

Reaction score
WorldofWarcraft said:
Snarfleflous said:
During this period I was self-conscious and depressed, not to mention panicky and desperate, and I bought a bunch of herbal products that I thought might augment the benefits of the Propecia.

Panicky and desperate are a great way to discribe it. How about, entering the worst nightmere you can imagine in real life? Or how about, watching the possibility of a decent life die as your hair falls out?

Life is a sack of $#iT. I can't wait for the coming time-period when the sun burns out and ends this cruel joke of life forever so that no living person has to suffer this $#iT.

Buddy dont worry about it, because maldecenas / susskinds theory indirectly states that life after death is possible ^^

Snarfleflous

Reaction score
Okay, well I'm HOPING that I'm perhaps experiencing a shed from the Folligen regimen that I started several months back?

Anyone experienced a shed after starting copper peptides?