Smokers more likely to get side effects

Skaff

Established Member
Reaction score
Dr B.J White, an Australian doctor, on Propecia.

The vast majority of my patients have encountered no adverse effects from the medication. A small number have commented that they feel a slight reduction in their sex drive. I believe that the sexually adverse side-effects are more common among smokers.

Unfortunately he doesn't elaborate on why he thinks this is the case. Anyway, just a thought for those of you who suffer sides and smoke. Anybody got any anecdotal evidence to back this up?

G

Not very surprising,

medical study after medical study has shown a link between smoking and erectile dysfunction.

i smoked as a kid but that was before i was sexually active, so, sadly, no anecdotes to report.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
I can confirm the sex drive aspect of smoking. I was a pack-a-day smoker from the beginning of my fraternity days up until 2000. Roughly 9 years. One of the benefits of quitting, aside from the obvious normal health aspects (elimination of hacking and noticeable increase in lung capacity/exercise stamina), was significantly more pronounced "energy." Harder wood, more powerful orgasms, and the ability to perform quick encores. These benefits were recognized within a couple weeks of my quit and have remained ever since. Your mileage may vary.

EDIT: My anecdotal story excludes finasteride as a factor. I believe I was off of it at the time I quit smoking. My conclusion is that smoking, in general, noticeably affected MY libido, all other things being equal. I believe the degradation of my libido due to smoking was very gradual, as I didn't recognize the effect until I quit.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have never smoked, have never done drugs, don't drink alcohol at all, and have been weightlifting since around fourteen years old. And I experienced a dramatic degree of sexual dysfunction on 1mg of finasteride daily. It got to the point where I felt much less sensation during erections, there was an overall dulling sensation, and bloodflow was greatly diminished. So at least for me, this theory doesn't hold as much water. :wink:

Although, in general, I don't doubt the theory about greater susceptibility to side effects. Patients who smoke throughout surgery actually have a more prolonged and difficult recovery/healing time. I also do know you can counteract some of the harmful effects of smoking by administering Vitamin C.

powersam

Reaction score
the only time i have every experienced diminished libido/ sexual function, was when i was smoking quite a lot.... was in scotland and everyone seems to smoke there.