smaller increment dumbbells at the gym

CCS

Reaction score
My gym's dumbbells are in 5 pound increments above 40 pounds. I want 1.25 pound increments, or at least 2.5 pounds.

My solution is to use a drawstring bag that is either clear, or course netting, so they don't think I'm trying to steal a 2.5 pounder. It needs to be just big enough (11 inches wide) to open around a 7 inch wide dumbbell weight, but also not too deep. I want to put a 2.5 pound weight in it, then put the mouth around the dumbbell side, and pull the drawstring. I have one of the pinch things that holds the string. That's how I'll add finer weights to the dumbbells. Anyone else have an better idea?

I know some people just add reps, and then weight. But I prefer to add small weight increments, and keep the weight the same. If I have to I just promote one set at a time.

CCS

Reaction score
I'm sure PowerSam would just use blue tack.

Maxpwr

Established Member
Reaction score
CCS said:
My solution is to use a drawstring bag that is either clear, or course netting, so they don't think I'm trying to steal a 2.5 pounder. It needs to be just big enough (11 inches wide) to open around a 7 inch wide dumbbell weight, but also not too deep. I want to put a 2.5 pound weight in it, then put the mouth around the dumbbell side, and pull the drawstring. I have one of the pinch things that holds the string. That's how I'll add finer weights to the dumbbells. Anyone else have an better idea?

You'll probably get the shits with this before long. Just grab a set of each of the dumbbells - your regular ones and the ones 5lbs heavier and use the heavier ones for the last set only, to failure. Once you get comfortable with that start using the heavier ones for the last 2 sets, to failure... Continue this until you are using the lighter ones only for a warmup, or the first set. After some time you will just be using the heavy ones and can start doing your final set with even heavier dumbbells.

That's gotta be easier than having something swinging off your dumbbell... I suppose it also depends on what exercise you are doing it with.

CCS

Reaction score
I know, but when I'm doing lateral shoulder raises with 12.5 pounds in each hand, even doing 15 pounds for one set is a big jump. I feel like I'm straining when I do it, whereas the 12.5 pounders are comfortable. I like hanging my 500mL (1.1 pound) water bottle from the the dumbbell to give me 13.6 pounds, which is a very smooth intermediate weight. I then use it on the first set, and 12.5 pounds on the next two sets.

I might be able to get away with the 5 pound jumps with dumbbell flyes at 60 pounds each. But I can tie a 2.5 pound weight on to the handle just like I'd tie my shoes. It is very close so not much swinging. I scratched the drawstring idea for the simpler shoes string tie.

I agree doing 60,60,60, 65,60,60, 65,65,60, 65,65,60, 65,65,65
is more simple than 60,60,60, 61.1,61.1,61.1, 62.5,62.5,62.5, 63.6,63.6,63.6, 65,65,65,
but which do you think would build muscle better?