Situational Advice Required

sm1234

Reaction score
I posted this in another area of the forum which I later realised was probably the wrong section. Your comments are much much appreciated:

Hi All - Hope everyone is doing well! My name's Ari and I have come on the net for some hair loss advice. This seems like the place as it looks like there are some very knowledgeable people here. I have a problem in which I'd like some personal advice so will make it as quick as possible.

In Feb '06 I started using Propecia as a precuationary measure (I had a great head of hair). Within a few days of using finasteride two mean spots of acne appeared on my face and then noticed hair falling out (prior to that I would never shed in my hands, on the pillow or in the shower).. and for the next few weeks continually shed until I threw in the towel at 30 days in.

Went and saw a derm a few weeks later who basically diagnosed a Telogen Effluvium and said that the falling out will stop and I "should" recover the 20-30% of scalp hair I lost.

Anyway, 6 months down the track, and I'm still shedding and I have not recovered any hair, and continuing to thin at an accelerated rate which I'm sure propecia instilled.

I now have realised that I should maybe give treatment another go. I weigh 60kg (yes, small...) so thinking maybe the 1mg of finasteride I was using was overkill... and was the cause of this "bad reaction" (shedding, acne)... could this be possible?

I remember the Kaufman study from long ago where 0.2mg was showed to have the same efficacy as 1mg (or thereabouts) in terms of DHT reduction. Maybe it was this extra 0.8mg which gave me the sudden loss of hair and acne (sorry for the laymans)... is this a possibility?

Or what about other treatment options? I have read about the Immortalhair regimen over at Regrowth.com. Would this work in a different way to propecia and maybe not give me the same bad results?

Could anyone think of any other reason for why finasteride didn't work for me?

Sorry for the length of this email... responses from you guys is much appreciated as always. Cheers, Ari.