Silly Question: Does Itching Mean I'm Going Through A Shed?

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Been on nizoral 2 months, finasteride about a month, Tricomin about 2 months. Just started MSM and waiting for my Emu Oil (Bluestuff takes forever to ship) to arrive. I also just bought some T/Sal and will use it during my next shower. I just shaved my head without a guard about a week ago so I can't really tell if I'm shedding.

So my question is, am I shedding and is this a good sign?

G

Yes, it is a good sign. I think that the itching feeling we all report has something to do with the treatment and that affect it is having on the hair. I think it could also mean that either the hair is going to fall out or in fact the hair is pushing through and it's growing. It could be the fact that the itching is the hair fighting it's way through the scalp. That's what I woule like to believe anyway.

Maybe someone else could comment.

Shave my poodle

Established Member
Reaction score
I usually think the itching is caused by DHT attacking and eating away the follicles :freaked:

G

9 days into a finasteride famine, scalp starting to itch :freaked: :freaked:

Whoome?

Established Member
Reaction score
from my experience, I think itching = bad news.

You've gotta fight the itching to maintain scalp health.

According to my experience and many other posts i've seen, hairloss rate usually go hand in hand with scalp irritation and scalp oiliness.

I suggest you keep using finasteride, and make sure ya use nizoral 2-3 times a week.

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I use nizoral 3-4 x per week, leave on 5 min. Hopefully the T/Sal will take care of the itch. The itching just came back after a few months off, so I think it may be a shed or maybe even regrowth! Some Tricomin users have reported regrowth in as little as 2 months. *prays*

Whoome?

Established Member
Reaction score
well temples .. call me a skeptic but i really doubt the regrowth abilities of Copper pep.. I think the most it does is just scalp health.

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well, I hope your are wrong because I've read many posts online where ppl had regrowth with Tricomin. It's also listed on this Web site as a proven treatment.

Whoome?

Established Member
Reaction score
cp causing regrowth itself, is extremely rare. But as an addition to minoxidil is more likley.

Whoome?

Established Member
Reaction score
btw show me the users who saw regrowth from cp only. The few that i've seen were either on finasteride or minoxidil.

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
As I mentioned in my first post in this thread, I'm taking finasteride along with nizoral as well as Tricomin (see my regimen).

Again, I don't see why it would be listed here as a proven treatment with four stars if it didn't work. It also has FDA trials to back it up.

Whoome?

Established Member
Reaction score
just because its proven doesn't mean that it is a powerful growth stimulant. There are many other proven products that weren't' listed in the proven section.. instead it is listed under *other hairloss treatment*

I have looked on tricomin's site there are no claims whatsoever saying that it has "FDA trials to back it up".

The only mention of any research studies that showed cp stimulated hairgrowth was
Trachy, et al. Phototrichogram analysis of hair follicle stimulation: a pilot clinical study with a peptide-copper complex. Dermatologic Research Techniques. H. Maibach, Ed. CRC Press. 1996.

That was no FDA trial btw.

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
They completed phase II FDA trials but didn't have the money for phase III.

From HairLossTalk.com:

Tricomin is a therapy spray that is applied topically. It is part of a suite of products that include a shampoo, conditioner, and conditioning shampoo Tricomin made it into our list of clinically efficacious products because it is one of the few products to have actually stimulated growth in intensive partial FDA trials. In Phase II clinical studies, it had very positive results on some of the 36 men who applied the treatment topically twice a day for 24 weeks. It uses a technology known as the "Copper Peptide Technology" to do this.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Spidy, scroll to the bottom of this page, which shows photographs from, and references, the clinical trials. It did indeed undergo partial FDA trials, and they did document results. So while I can't call it "Proven" i can't really call it unproven. Its probably the one product that sits a little bit in both realms.

http://www.tricomin.com/pages/why.html

HLH also references that Tricomin completed through Phase II of FDA trials.

Here we interviewed Robin Carmichael of ProCyte and asked about the FDA trials. Use the whole URL and scroll down to where "FDA Trials" is higlighted on the page:

http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cache:0L ... ials&hair loss=en

HerAlopecia.com also references it:
http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cache:bZ ... ials&hair loss=en

HairLossTalk.com

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
HairLossTalk.com, has anyone ever found out what the deal is with them using a stronger/different concentration of copper peptides in the trials than what they sell commercially? Would this be as effective? If it's true, that is.

Whoome?

Established Member
Reaction score
HairLossTalk.com, the only mention about FDA trial results were on heralopecia.com out of the 3 links you gave me.
And all it said was "it had very positive results on some of the 36 men who applied the treatment topically twice a day for 24 weeks."
Did procyte actually publish their FDA trials results?

RCarmichael: "As you're aware, because Tricomin® is a cosmetic product in as much as that's how we're choosing to market it, we don't make claims that it grows hair. "

Procyte keeps changing their formulation and their delivery system, also i dont doubt the beneficial qualities of CP, but the fact remains that we dont know just how "beneficial" are the different formulations of CP out there, and does it even grow hair.

bombscience

Reaction score
Shave my poodle said:
I usually think the itching is caused by DHT attacking and eating away the follicles :freaked:

Haha yeah i have the same vision in my head.

Itching is usually a side effect of inflamation of the scalp (leading to hairloss).

Here is my advice on combating itching:
- Stay on a regular set of treatments for long periods of time (dont constanatly add treatments)
- Dont overuse nizoral (3-4 times a week at most)
- Try using a copper peptide formula 3 times a week for scalp health
- Use minoxidil formulas with less PPG (Dr. Lees)
- Reduce your DHT (not scientifically proven, but since i have reduced my DHT levels my scalp has itched less)

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
HLH mentions the FDA trials as well. Two of the three links I gave you mentioned them.

The study was never finished so the data wasn't published.

This is all part of why I keep Tricomin at the bottom of the proven treatments list and near the top of the "Might also help" list... rather than moving it up alongside Rogaine and Propecia.

HairLossTalk.com

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Can anyone answer my question?!