Significant hair thinning on left side of head

Nixxy84

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all

I wonder if anyone can help me. Just under a year ago I noticed that the left side of my hair is significantly thinner than the right side of my hair. I'd say the density is just less than half. Research I've done tends to bring up most people saying they have experienced thinning on the right side of their hair which tends to lead to theories of some sort of related alopecia, but I'm struggling to find results on people with thinning on the left side of their hair.

I had worn my hair in a parting to the right side of my hair for a number of years, about 8 I think, and only when changing back to a middle parting had I noticed the drastic thinning of my left side of hair. Up until this point, it was brought to my attention by my hairdresser that the hair on my left side was growing more slowly than the right side, there was a good inch or so between the two sides. It was also brought to my attention a number of years ago by a different hairdresser that my hair was breaking on my left side, but the results were not very profound at that point, so I thought no more of it.

I've had the contraceptive implant in my left arm for six years and wondered if this could be the cause. I've just had my third one put into my right arm.

Other causes that may be affecting me are that I have been under an immense strain of stress for the past 14 months, more stress than I have ever dealt with before, but I think signs of my hair breaking were before this.

I can't see any sort of patchiness/bald areas, I can just see and feel that the hair is different on the two sides. Since I noticed this a year ago, I've stopped regularly blow drying and straightening my hair and let it air dry naturally as often as I can.

So I just wondered if anyone has experienced the same or if anyone could point me in the right direction to probable causes/solutions because my hair has always been very fine and with the thinning only on one side I can't afford to lose anymore hair.

Thank you in advance for any replies/help you are able to offer.