Side Effects Related to 5 α-Reductase Inhibitor Treatment of Hair Loss in Women

parisienne

Established Member
Reaction score
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27050696

The medical community's interest in prescribing 5ari to women is increasing and so does the number of studies related to it.

"A review of 20 peer-reviewed articles found that very few side effects, or adverse events, related to sexual function have been reported in studies in which dutasteride or finasteride has been used to treat hair loss in women."

(
:woot:)

g.i joey

Reaction score
I think the biggest concern is that woman should never be around broken tablets due to reproduction issues.

parisienne

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, that's for sure. It's a really REALLY rare situation when a doctor agrees to prescribe finasteride or dutasteride to women in child bearing age.
In the studies exploring that possibility, finasteride or dutasteride are always coupled with a BCP.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you Parisienne for the input. I understand now you said before.
Have a nice day

parisienne

Established Member
Reaction score
It weird. Because they go back and forth with women. First they say finasteride is useless to them.

Then they say for men, it's 100% safe.

Now they say it stays in the system for a very long time.

Hi :) yes indeed it's been proven ineffective for women at 1mg per day. However more studies shows some exciting results at 1.25 mg/day or even 5mg. It is also the case with dutasteride, at 0.5mg and 0.15 mg. Can't link the studies right now as I'm on my phone, but I can do it later if you want to see.

parisienne

Established Member
Reaction score
Parisienne,

I think that's definitely good research. Women can take much stronger anti androgens than men.

I know you don't want to try spironolactone. It's your body, so you have to do what's best for you.

K9, I am not trying spironolactone because I'm already taking another stronger AA, but it's obviously still too weak, so I know spironolactone can't work on me. I'd try the less risky solutions if I could !

mitch1211

My Regimen
Reaction score
You must have terrible genes if you lose hair as a woman. That is almost an anomaly to be a woman losing hair due to DHT. Impressive.

Norwood One

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Doesn't seem like a good idea to give to women. Even trace amounts of it in the system after cessation could be devastating to an unborn male fetus.

Now if you've had all the kids you are going to have as a woman, then it seems like it'd be fine.

parisienne

Established Member
Reaction score
Doesn't seem like a good idea to give to women. Even trace amounts of it in the system after cessation could be devastating to an unborn male fetus.

Now if you've had all the kids you are going to have as a woman, then it seems like it'd be fine.

Indeed. dutasteride stays in your body for eight months after cessation of treatment. But even after, not sure if I would take the risk, unless I make every possible test able to let me know if that would be safe or not.

stupidkoko

Reaction score
Indeed. dutasteride stays in your body for eight months after cessation of treatment. But even after, not sure if I would take the risk, unless I make every possible test able to let me know if that would be safe or not.

Interesting, I didn't know that. Is there any study proving this?
Also do you happen to know how long finasteride stays in the system after discontinuation of the drug?