shrtyzl's Story

shrtyzl

Reaction score
hey, i'm 19 years old and in college. ive been losing my hair since i was about 16. when i was 18 i immediately jumped on propecia, and had great success after a few months, regrowing almost all my hair within about 10 months-a year (at least as far as i could tell). unfortunately, since the beginning of the summer i started losing it again. do you think my body began overcoming the effect of the propecia that quickly? it seems too long to be a shed. this could also be due to my somewhat inconsistent taking of the pill, or the fact that i was off nizoral for a while. anyway, ive been taking nizoral for the past couple weeks (scalp's still a little flaky) and been on finasteride consistently for at least 3 weeks. anyone have any opinions on whats going on? should i switch to avodart or start using rogaine? thanks for any replies.

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: dave's story

shrtyzl said:
this could also be due to my somewhat inconsistent taking of the pill, or the fact that i was off nizoral for a while. anyway, ive been taking nizoral for the past couple weeks (scalp's still a little flaky) and been on finasteride consistently for at least 3 weeks.

Just my opinoin, but it is important for you to stay on a known regimen. These are drugs. You need to control and know exactly what you are putting into your body. You cannot know what you are doing, if you haphazardly take things here and there. Keep a log. This is the most contructive thing I can say to everyone on this board.

My advice: you should stay on propecia, and note your results. Don't rush to take dutasteride. Based on my understanding of the mechanism, I have no doubt that it should be effective in most cases. BUT no one knows what the long term effects are. Which may be significant in a young man such as yourself.

I would also say start the minoxidil 5%. It has been shown to regrow hair in a small population. Still, don't expect any miracles. I know I don't.

BTW - Did you notice shedding when you started Propecia? And if so, how long did it last?

shrtyzl

Reaction score
thanks

to the first post, im a diffuse thinner(? - i lose hair all over), so its kind of just thinning all over. to the second, yeah i really wish i could go back and be consistent with my times. in my defense, it's not like i would take it twice a week or anything, but sometimes i would take it one evening, and then miss a day and take it the next morning or something like that, just because i would forget (mostly because i was so happy with the results i guess). as for the dutasteride, its definitely not the wisest move but its something. mostly i guess i just dont want to do minoxidil, esp. living in a dorm and all. but i think i might do it.

shrtyzl

Reaction score
also when i started propecia i shed as i did before starting the treatment, nothing big. and then i had a shed for maybe 4 weeks around month 5.