Should I use finasteride even though I have no signs of balding?

justcurious

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been looking through some of the topics here, mainly because I want to keep a full head of healthy hair for as long as I possibly can. So my question is, should I get on finasteride even though I have no signs of balding? I'm just wondering if it's a good idea at all or not. Thank you and best of luck to all you with your treatments.

SkylineGTR

Experienced Member
Reaction score
no..

if you don't have signs.. you don't need to mess with your hormones.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
On the other hand, it's especially true in the area of hairloss that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

SkylineGTR

Experienced Member
Reaction score
yeah but if he doesn't have signs then he doesn't have the messed up hormones and if he takes a blocker he might get all of the bad sides.

He might have nothing to prevent.

justcurious

Reaction score
Well, you know, as the old saying goes, "better to prevent than to lament". I read somewhere that some hockey goalie was taking finasteride to keep his hair, and he didn't have any signs of balding. Thanks for shedding some light (no pun intended).

Follically Challenged

Experienced Member
Reaction score
justcurious said:
Well, you know, as the old saying goes, "better to prevent than to lament". I read somewhere that some hockey goalie was taking finasteride to keep his hair, and he didn't have any signs of balding. Thanks for shedding some light (no pun intended).

I'm guessing the extra testosterone he'd get out of it wasn't lost on him.

abcdefg

Reaction score
There really is no answer to that question. Ive read about doctors that started on propecia shortly after it came out just as prevention because they just wanted as much hair as they could keep. Weight the risk and take a guess.

barcafan

Reaction score
I think its quite 'stupid' for lack of a better word. If you're that concerned go have your scalp mapped out for miniaturization and if you have absolutely no signs of thinning then what's the point? You can do that once a year and jump on the bandwagon if you're starting to thin.

Jm0311

Reaction score
SkylineGTR said:
yeah but if he doesn't have signs then he doesn't have the messed up hormones and if he takes a blocker he might get all of the bad sides.

He might have nothing to prevent.

i dont understand how that could work

abcdefg

Reaction score
If you have absolutely no hair loss at all or any family history then In my opinion its stupid to take a DHT inhibitor.
I should just start posting that Patrick Arnold link on DHT. DHT is very important. Science does not completely understand all of the implications of shutting down DHT in our entire bodies. Why on earth would you do that for absolutely no reason at all? Just watch it and do something if you know its happening keeping in mind a little hairloss happens to almost everyone as we age.