Should I Start Taking Finasteride? Advice Needed

Dyodikow

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello, i posted last month about my receding frontal hairline and most of the replies said that i should monitor it closely, but now i am starting to suspect minor crown recession but i do not really know if it has been like that before, i am 18.5 yo so should i start taking finasteride now? and will it keep my current hairline?i have seen some posts saying that it makes hairloss worse before having effects, what is your advice?

Dyodikow

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, do it now before it gets worse. If you're considering getting on finasteride then you will 100% do it eventually even if you decide against it now. Once your hair loss gets worse it's not even a question, you'll be popping those pills like candy, but at that point it's too late usually. If you do it now you will 99% maintain what you have now for ten years. Don't worry, finasteride usually does not make hair loss worse initially, if it does it will only be for a few months.
I am hesitant to start taking it because of my age, some say it will have bad sides.
Can you please tell what do you think of my hairline now? i think i should start the treatment

Attachments

• 20191203_001432.jpg
    20191203_001432.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 155
  • 20191030_135120.jpg
    20191030_135120.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 170
  • 20191203_001550.jpg
    20191203_001550.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 176

Nounours

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey, first of all, I understand how stressful this must be. I'm not going to tell you not to stress as people were always telling me that and it didn't stop me from stressing! What I will say is that it is probably not as bad as you think it is!
My advice may be unpopular on this forum. You are still quite young and your body is still developing. Starting long-term finasteride use at your age could be detrimental to your hormonal profile.
I suggest starting with topical minoxidil first!

Dyodikow

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey, first of all, I understand how stressful this must be. I'm not going to tell you not to stress as people were always telling me that and it didn't stop me from stressing! What I will say is that it is probably not as bad as you think it is!
My advice may be unpopular on this forum. You are still quite young and your body is still developing. Starting long-term finasteride use at your age could be detrimental to your hormonal profile.
I suggest starting with topical minoxidil first!
Thank you for your advice, i considered minoxidil but it is not effective on the temporal region, what do you think of my hairline? is it badly receding ? i don't want to regret ignoring this problem.

Nounours

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you for your advice, i considered minoxidil but it is not effective on the temporal region, what do you think of my hairline? is it badly receding ? i don't want to regret ignoring this problem.
I think it looks perfectly fine to me! It's normal to recede a bit, and your hair still looks thick to me. However, it's not about what I think, it's about what you think. If you're not happy with it, you're not going to suddenly become happy by not doing anything. You either need to change your mental outlook on it, or actually do something more concrete about it. Doing both is best of course.

As for topical minoxidil. They say it doesn't work on the temples as no/little research has been done on its effectiveness on temples. However, many people have seen success on using minoxidil on their temples, so there's no harm in trying!

Dyodikow

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think it looks perfectly fine to me! It's normal to recede a bit, and your hair still looks thick to me. However, it's not about what I think, it's about what you think. If you're not happy with it, you're not going to suddenly become happy by not doing anything. You either need to change your mental outlook on it, or actually do something more concrete about it. Doing both is best of course.

As for topical minoxidil. They say it doesn't work on the temples as no/little research has been done on its effectiveness on temples. However, many people have seen success on using minoxidil on their temples, so there's no harm in trying!
I will go to a derm in the next few days, but i am not certain it is balding because no one in my family started to bald this early, my maternal grandpa and uncles still have their juvenile hairlines, but my paternal uncle is bald and the other has a mature hairline so it is really hard for me to tell.

Dyodikow

My Regimen
Reaction score
Minoxidil does work on the hairline, it just can't be advertised for it because when they did testing for FDA approval they only tested it on the vertex. Minoxidil does not stop hair loss though, it just helps your hair grow a little better which is enough to counteract the balding process for a short time. Blocking DHT is the only way to really stop it. Finasteride works better in young people. Studies were conducted on men from 18-41, so you are ok starting at your age.
Judging by my hairline should i start applying it on my temples?

Dyodikow

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, but be prepared for it to get worse before it gets better, and to continue using minoxidil for at least a year. If you start using it and then stop all you will have done is made the situation worse.
I would really hate to increase my recession for a slim chance of regrowth, i think i will wait 6 months and start finasteride if it is the only way to keep my hair.

Dyodikow

My Regimen
Reaction score
You will not increase your recession if you stick with it. You will only shed hair the first few months and then those hairs will grow back thicker. If you are a responder to minoxidil then you will get regrowth as long as you are also on finasteride. If you are not a responder then you won't lose any ground either, and it will be just like putting water on your head. Minoxidil only works if you have sufficient amounts of sulfotransferase enzyme. If you do then it will work really well, but if you don't then it won't do anything.
Thank you for your help but i think i will wait until i get an appointment with a derm, i hope he will be competent enough to give a treatment plan.

OldnBald

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you are worried, get on topical finasteride. You'll likely get less or no sides, and you'll still spot reduce dht in the scalp, where it's needed. Limited studies have shown that it works, maybe not quite as well, but it does. Then in a couple years, switch to oral finasteride. Either way, you'll be fine.

But do not wait, your hair for 18 sucks. by the time you're 20, it's bye-bye birdy.

Dyodikow

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you are worried, get on topical finasteride. You'll likely get less or no sides, and you'll still spot reduce dht in the scalp, where it's needed. Limited studies have shown that it works, maybe not quite as well, but it does. Then in a couple years, switch to oral finasteride. Either way, you'll be fine.

But do not wait, your hair for 18 sucks. by the time you're 20, it's bye-bye birdy.
Thanks for your reply, but it is so weird that none of my friends nor my barber noticed this recession, i would say it is super bad now, 4 years ago my left temple started receding so i used to comb my hair to cover it but now my right temple is receding it really sucks to be in denial. I made up my mind, i am going to risk taking finasteride after visiting a derm even though my beard is not fully grown yet.