Should i start procecia while ive got such mild hairloss?

elemenopee123

Reaction score
Hi all,
Im new to this forum so sorry if this question has been asked a million times.
Im 20, been on minoxidil for 2 years since noticing the beginings of a receeding hairline, my hair is very thick, except starting to receed on the sides. Probably a Norwood 1.5
I keep reading about people experiencing sheds while on propecia which is scaring me off using it. My hairloss is very mild and slow so far so it wouldnt be worth it if it caused me to have a shed. Ive also read people saying that after taking propecia their hairloss got worse and then over time got better, but again for me it would not be worth going on it if that happened. Can someone 'shed' some light on the possibilities of propecia causing this to happen to me?

Thanks

Pondle

Reaction score
A shed is not a permanent loss of hair. Older hairs in the telogen (resting) phase may be shed by treatments, but the hair should grow back just as strongly, if not more so. Propecia did not cause me to shed at all, although minoxidil did.

UK1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I didn't shed much at all from finasteride during my first 3 months, as soon as I started minoxidil it started raining hair, possibly from both of them at the same time. Personally I worry more about the minoxidil when it comes to shedding.

elemenopee123

Reaction score
Well my dad recently became a NW3. I think my mums dad went bald later in life.

Suppose photos would help but its seems as though im forming a new hairline; a receeded one but quite defined.

Ive decided to go onto propecia and if i dont experience any sides ill stick with it. Is there any chances of the thinner hair on the sides becoming thicker again? or is propecia all about retaining not regrowing?
Thanks for your answers

Pondle

Reaction score
More than 80% of Propecia users maintained hair, and two thirds saw some regrowth, although usually very modest.