Should I quit minoxidil or reduce usage? HELP!!!

vipergts

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Been using minoxidil (Dr Lee's Xandrox) for many years. I apply 1ml twice a day. Ever since I started using minoxidil I have had a relatively itchy, tender scalp. It's kind of painful to the touch compared to the area where I don't apply Mionox. Also my hair feels brittle, dry and *very* stiff.

Over the past week I stopped using minoxidil and my scalp feels GREAT! No itching or pain, very little shedding and I love to run my fingers through my hair all the time. Does this mean that minoxidil grows hair but ruins the state of your scalp? How many of you have felt this with prolonged minoxidil usage? The big question is should I continue using minoxidil twice a day, stop usage completely or use it only once a day?

My scalp tells me to stop right away but my research tells me I will experience massive shedding and lose a lot of hair within 3 months. I am utterly confused and looking for your suggestions.

Thanks!

Viper

G

Hey viper. If you're sure that minoxidil has given you regrowth, you shouldn't stop IMO. I know an itching scalp is f*****g HELL! :D but still if you're not even sure that it's not doing anything, keep using it. You could try and reduce the dosage to once a day, maybe you could just apply it before going to bed and wash it off in the morning. On the other hand, if you're sure it's not doing much, just drop it.

CCS

Reaction score
the itching could be from the PG. try the foam. My brother can't use regular minoxidil but can use the foam.

powersam

Reaction score
go to ppg free or the foam and use it less. this is hearsay gathered from experienced posters on this board and others but if you use it once a day two out of every 3 days, you'll avoid the shed. nb/ anecdotally derived information.

or maybe only use .5 or .2 ml once a day.

but yes you will shed like a chernobyl safety engineer if you cut it out completely.

vipergts

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks fellas! I think I am going to go with 0.5 ml of minoxidil twice a day to see how it goes.

By the way I already tried the foam and it made me shed like crazy for 2 months straight. That's why I had to stop.

Viper