Should I Drop Topical Minoxidil And Continue Taking Oral

Slid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
So 2 days ago I started taking oral minoxidil.Since I always had issues with topical(flaking and itching),should I drop it?Im currently taking 2.5mg oral.Could I expect some shedding or?

Kambrira159

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well if you're taking oral minoxidil yes you should stop using the topical.

Slid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@pegasus2 Tried it yesterday and my scalp again turned into a white brick.Maybe 2.5mg 2x a day could solve that?

baba_yaga

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you're okay with the oral route, definitely go for it. Oral>topical (effectivness)

daniel jones

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is taking 5mg daily going to have any higher risk than 2mg? I got a script for 5mg but the sugeron said take 2mg

sonnytle

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm currently applying 3ml x 2 topical daily and now considering switching to 2.5mg x 2 oral but worried I'd either have initial shedding or lose ground. Can anyone please share your experience?

StevenGerrard

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm currently applying 3ml x 2 topical daily and now considering switching to 2.5mg x 2 oral but worried I'd either have initial shedding or lose ground. Can anyone please share your experience?

you will shed for sure if you were to start taking oral minoxidil (for at least 6 weeks)

StevenGerrard

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What about after the shedding period, would the hair grow back and the oral be as effective as liquid?

I mean.. I can't say for sure but from what I have read yes, loniten is arguably just as powerful as Duta (as far as hair loss medication goes) -- it's a growth simulator as opposed to a DHT blocker. If you are not bothered by the idea of developing unwanted/undesired body hair I say go for it, if I didn't have a heart condition myself I would definitely be on it.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
1) There is not a single study showing that oral give better results than topical, and we are talking about a drug with to many studies and that is almost 40 years old drug.
2) If you want better results with minoxidil, add tretinoin, that will activate the enzime that convert the minoxidil into active minoxidil in you body ( minoxidil sulphate ) .

NorwoodingMyWay

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
1) There is not a single study showing that oral give better results than topical, and we are talking about a drug with to many studies and that is almost 40 years old drug.
2) If you want better results with minoxidil, add tretinoin, that will activate the enzime that convert the minoxidil into active minoxidil in you body ( minoxidil sulphate ) .
When you think about it, Oral minoxidil is definitely more effective than Topical minoxidil. The reason being is that minoxidil needs to interact with the sulfotransferase enzymes to covert into minoxidil sulfate, the necessary compound that does all the work.

Some people have the sulfotransferase enzymes in their hair follicles, one of the reasons being Topical minoxidil works for them. However, alot of people lack such enzymes in their follicles, a plausable cause of why Topical minoxidil has a low success rate. Plus, even if you were to possess such enzymes in you follicles, it depends largely on their quantity.

Orally, minoxidil has more than enough of the needed enzymes when being metabolised by the liver. Thus, the success rate of Oral minoxidil would theorically superceed Topical minoxidil, and it may even deliver much more regrowth compared to the Topical version.

Instead of opting for tretinoin to boost minoxidil's abroption, i find the Orall pills much more attractive and very convinient. Saving me from the dryness/ flakiness of the Topical + not having to wait 4 hours at least to let it dry.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
When you think about it, Oral minoxidil is definitely more effective than Topical minoxidil. The reason being is that minoxidil needs to interact with the sulfotransferase enzymes to covert into minoxidil sulfate, the necessary compound that does all the work.

Some people have the sulfotransferase enzymes in their hair follicles, one of the reasons being Topical minoxidil works for them. However, alot of people lack such enzymes in their follicles, a plausable cause of why Topical minoxidil has a low success rate. Plus, even if you were to possess such enzymes in you follicles, it depends largely on their quantity.

Orally, minoxidil has more than enough of the needed enzymes when being metabolised by the liver. Thus, the success rate of Oral minoxidil would theorically superceed Topical minoxidil, and it may even deliver much more regrowth compared to the Topical version.

Instead of opting for tretinoin to boost minoxidil's abroption, i find the Orall pills much more attractive and very convinient. Saving me from the dryness/ flakiness of the Topical + not having to wait 4 hours at least to let it dry.

Where is the Study that shows that the sulfotransferase enzymes in the follicle and not systemic ?
Again, Oral minoxidil is broscience .

TRETINOIN do not boost absortion, it active the sulfotransferase :
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30974011

And with this excelent study, you can see the real thing. This study is one of the best ever perfom studies done in human for Hair loss. And is this from this year, no body talk about, but yes, about oral minoxidil.
Plus, again, it was already tested by many hair loss forum posters on 2000s ( me include it ) . It don't work better and give side effects. ( simple google for old post in hairlosshelp and in hairsite ) .

NorwoodingMyWay

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Where is the Study that shows that the sulfotransferase enzymes in the follicle and not systemic ?
Again, Oral minoxidil is broscience .

TRETINOIN do not boost absortion, it active the sulfotransferase :
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30974011

And with this excelent study, you can see the real thing. This study is one of the best ever perfom studies done in human for Hair loss. And is this from this year, no body talk about, but yes, about oral minoxidil.
Plus, again, it was already tested by many hair loss forum posters on 2000s ( me include it ) . It don't work better and give side effects. ( simple google for old post in hairlosshelp and in hairsite ) .
The study you quoted literally speaks about follicular sulfotransferase.."The large intra-subject variability in follicular sulfotransferase was found to predict minoxidil response and thus explain the low response rate to topical minoxidil in the treatment of androgenetic alopecia."

Thus, concluding that to some extent, there are some enzymes in the outer sheath of the hair follicle. It may be the main reason to predict Topical minoxidil's success. Oral minoxidil is no broscience, it's been proven to work at even doses of 1,25mg to 5mg, in women and men, with higher success rates. Simple seaches would lead to you to all this.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
The study you quoted literally speaks about follicular sulfotransferase.."The large intra-subject variability in follicular sulfotransferase was found to predict minoxidil response and thus explain the low response rate to topical minoxidil in the treatment of androgenetic alopecia."

Thus, concluding that to some extent, there are some enzymes in the outer sheath of the hair follicle. It may be the main reason to predict Topical minoxidil's success. Oral minoxidil is no broscience, it's been proven to work at even doses of 1,25mg to 5mg, in women and men, with higher success rates. Simple seaches would lead to you to all this.

Again, they didn't compare in the same study minoxidil topical to oral . They should do like it was done in this study. Give topical minoxidil, then to not responder, give oral minoxidil and check it it works. So simple like this.

The two news oral minoxidil study were conducted like it was the 80s , we are in 2020, and this new studies were done in 2019 .
The two main questions are not answer :
1) it is oral minoxidil more effective than oral minoxidil ? no answer
2) If you use oral minoxidil, there is more sulphate minoxidil reaching the follicles ? not answer .

Last edited:

CalvoSalvo

My Regimen
Reaction score
i switched from topical to oral 1 month ago. i take 2.5 mg twice a day, totasl of 5 mg. 3 dayas a week i apply topical in the morning after taking my pill. so far ive experienced no shedding. my hair just feels better. i noticed some more body hair growth but not much since im not naturally a hairy guy. no sides experienced. i noticed a carpet of small vellus hairs extending down to where my nw0 hairline once was. im 40 yrs old and started balding about 21. i literally didnt do sh*t for my situation until 39 yrs old. i regrew a sh*t ton of hair using finasteride, minoxidil and ru. plus oral castor oil, vitamins scalp massages and derma rolling. basically the kitchen sink approach. goodf luck brother, its def an uphill battle

he_who_dares_wins

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was using a similar dose 2.5-3 ml x2 daily and switched to oral (starting with a low dose and gradually going up to 5mg). That was around 4-5 months ago and I'm still shedding. I've lost some ground, cant' tell if the lost hair will come back, but I seem to have a lot of velus hair.

Finasteridegyno

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was using a similar dose 2.5-3 ml x2 daily and switched to oral (starting with a low dose and gradually going up to 5mg). That was around 4-5 months ago and I'm still shedding. I've lost some ground, cant' tell if the lost hair will come back, but I seem to have a lot of velus hair.
Oh f***, do u still shedding? Do u feel the switch was a good idea to grow more hair than with topical alone ?

he_who_dares_wins

My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh f***, do u still shedding? Do u feel the switch was a good idea to grow more hair than with topical alone ?
Yeah, I'm still shedding especially in the sides and the back of my head. Safety aside, I think oral is better than the topical one. I tell you this: I have retrograde alopecia and with oral I have definitely grown much more hair in the sides and the back of my head. Front is another story cause I am very Androgenetic Alopecia prone, but denser sides and crown gives the illusion of a fuller head of hair. For the front, I started using some topical finasteride and I'm slowly getting some additional growth.