shock loss

ruhkus

Reaction score
I just had a hair transplant... I know that my hair should start falling out again at about 3 weeks from "shock loss" ...I have read that some people dont actually loss any hair from it..

I was just wondering what small percentage of people don't lose hair from the shock?

G

ruhkus,

Shockloss as you stated does vary from patient to patient. What are the variables?

First, it depends on not only how much natural hair that is left in the recipient areas, but also how diffused that hair is. Some patients tell me that they hardly had any shockloss at all, but those patients typically had little natural hair left to begin with, no offense. Obviously the more natural hair present in the recipient area, the more there is subject to shock. The real underlying cause of shock is related to how the scalp responds to the overall trauma from the surgery. It is a culmination of the recipient incisions, excisions, and extractions. So, if the incisions are increased (larger sessions), there is more relative resulting trauma. Some patients experience some shock in the donor area as well. Shock in the donor zone is not as prevalent as the recipient areas.

The closer the incisions are to each other, again the more resulting trauma. That being said, the industry has progressed to the point whereby custom sized blades are being used, the incisions can than be placed closer togethor and also allowing the surgeon to increase the preciseness of the angulations. And I'm referring to both coronal and saggital incisions to create that aesthetic naturalness. The relative degree of angulation to the scalp surface can be hyper-angulated to produce more visual coverage. This is especially helpful to the patient in the higher classes of loss, and also has fine hair caliper. Further, the improvements in the instrumentation also allows docs to do utilize a stick and place approach. So, decreasing the sizes of the incisions can make a big difference. These are good questions to ask the doctors when in consultations, because not all of the hair transplant surgeons out there are up to speed with the most recent technology and methodology. :roll:

With microscopic dissection, those grafts can be cut much leaner and allows the surgeon to custom size his blades to the circumference of each graft. Ask your surgeon how the grafts are dissected and prepared. If he or she does not utilize microscopic dissection, RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!! :freaked2:

You are correct in that most patients will begin to experience shockloss approximately 3-4 weeks post-op. Even that can vary somewhat. Some docs are of the opinion that those adult male patients already on finasteride (Propecia), tend to have less effects from shock. Minoxidil too, although most docs will pull you off minoxidil before surgery. Or, putting it another way, those male patients "not" already on the hairloss meds tend to have higher levels of shock. :shock:

Would you mind sharing with us what Norwood class you are in, how many grafts you had placed, and how much natural hair was in the recipient area, and is it a diffused thinning pattern? Are you on finasteride now?

Hope this helps and best wishes on your yield! :wink: :hairy:

ruhkus

Reaction score
Thanks for the great info... I had my surgery done by Dr. Victor Hasson. I had 5008 grafts done, I was between a 2 and 3 on the norwood scale (I think). I had descent amount of hair left in certain areas. Now 12 days after the surgery and cutting my hair to a #3 I realize that my density through out my whole head looks pretty equal. So there are a lot of grafts near my natural hair. I started avodart before the surgery.....I really like the way it looks right now and I am fearing yet expecting "shock loss"

P.S Any tips for helping the scar heal. My scar looks pretty good, but I wanted to help it as much as possible...

Thanks

fnlostish

Established Member
Reaction score
I had a fair amout of locks before I had my transplant 2 years ago.

I definitely think if you have hair in the surrounding areas and go under the knife .... shock loss is indeed a reailty !!! oh yes .........

G

Without a doubt, you were in great hands! :wink:

The scar in the donor? That will take the longest to heal and often is the most sensitive area post-op. If you heal normally, there will be great stride made in the next several months. But let's talk about the now.

Start supplementing with Vitamins C and E. Most will take 1000 mg of each for two months post-op. The antioxidants will facilitate the healing process, and help produce a good environment for the grafts grow in.

Be careful not to scratch or pick scabs at your sutured area. Healing brings itching with it. When shampooing, use a side-to-side motion across the linear scar. Never rub in an up and down manner. You can spray saline or copper peptide. If you really want to go to the nth degree, you can purchase some "hair cycle" products that contain proteolytic enzymes which will eat away at the scabs. Just do a search on it. It works pretty good in getting rid of lingering redness too!

It's going to take some time for the hair around the scar to grow out, so when you get haircuts, have your stylist cut around the area until the hair grows back.

If you work out, be careful not to move in any motion that will cause tension or pulling of your scar. Things like situps, stretching of the neck, etc. The inside layer of scalp tissue (dermis) is softer and takes longer to heal than the outer layer (epidermis).

The best is yet to come, THE YIELD, so HAPPY GROWTH!!! :hairy: