Shedding: Should I increase my Finasteride Dosage?

D

Dude,Where'sMyHair

I have been on Finasteride 1.25 mg for 2.5 years.

I have shed before and recovered.

However, this time my shed is considerably worse than any of the other sheds I have experienced in 2.5 years on Finasteride.

Should I ride it out or increase my dosage to 2.5 mg of Finasteride?

Thanks in advance for all the responses.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
There is probably no added benefit from increasing that doseage.

You might consider dutasteride, some people have had success with it.

zeroheat

Established Member
Reaction score
no need to increase, it won't make a big difference.. finasteride has relatively flat dose response. just ride it out

D

Dude,Where'sMyHair

At present, I think Dutasteride is a last line of option.

Most reputable surgeons either recommend increasing to 5mg or 2.5mg of Finasteride now, especially after the asian Dutasteride trials were inconclusive regarding concerns of sterility.

Surely, someone has experience with an added finasteride dosage?

hairrific

Established Member
Reaction score
Dude said:

However, this time my shed is considerably worse than any of the other sheds I have experienced in 2.5 years on Finasteride.

Do Soakings every day with nizoral and also head in shoulders or any zinc type dandruff shampoo till you stop shedding.

You can increase your dosage it all depends on your body. My experience has been that the small dosage increase does reduce your DHT levels according to my dht test from 21 to 16 that is. I don't know why everyone is so stuck on this dose response curve so much. I increased from 1mg to 1.6 5 months ago and had nut aches and less shedding within a week. It was like I never had never tried any finasteride before in my life.

D

Dude,Where'sMyHair

Question 7,

It was a Korean trial for Dutasteride. Perhaps I should not have said "went nowhere." The study was flawed and did not examine sterility issues. Some doctors are refusing to consider Dutasteride at all now b/c of sterility issues or concerns. See the following link: http://www.baldingblog.com/2009/07/30/n ... ce-part-1/

D

Dude,Where'sMyHair

hairrific said:
Dude said:

Do Soakings every day with nizoral and also head in shoulders or any zinc type dandruff shampoo till you stop shedding.

You can increase your dosage it all depends on your body. My experience has been that the small dosage increase does reduce your DHT levels according to my dht test from 21 to 16 that is. I don't know why everyone is so stuck on this dose response curve so much. I increased from 1mg to 1.6 5 months ago and had nut aches and less shedding within a week. It was like I never had never tried any finasteride before in my life.

How did you cut your pills to 1.6 mg?

Also, are you still taking this dosage?

How often do you test your DHT?

Did you monitor your DHT Test results long enough to notice an increase on the DHT Test while on 1 mg such that this is what prompted you to increase the dosage?

P.S. Sorry for all of the questions...lol.

KeepTheHair

Established Member
Reaction score
zeroheat said:
no need to increase, it won't make a big difference.. finasteride has relatively flat dose response. just ride it out

This.

hairrific

Established Member
Reaction score
Dude said:
hairrific said:
[quote="Dude,Where'sMyHair":190bl5wd]I have been on Finasteride 1.25 mg for 2.5 years.

How did you cut your pills to 1.6 mg?

Generic Proscar 5mg from Walgreen is a rectangular caplet shape, you cut it into 3 parts with a razor blade, 5mg divided by three = (3), 1.6 mg pills. Inexpensive too!

Also, are you still taking this dosage?

I take 1.6 mg every morning. Have great hair now, life's good.

How often do you test your DHT?

Spaced three DHT test since I started finasteride for the first time around 2 years ago to monitor levels.

Did you monitor your DHT Test results long enough to notice an increase on the DHT Test while on 1 mg such that this is what prompted you to increase the dosage?

My DHT went down lower when I changed from 1mg Propecia and started taking 1.6 mg generic Proscar. I also experienced all the newbie symptoms I originally did when I first took 1mg propecia a year ago. So I deduct that the .6mg increase in finasteride was the cause.

My summation is that I always loved the results I got from the 1 mg propecia for the past year so why not up the dosage and go cheaper too. Sure enough I love this even more.

P.S. Sorry for all of the questions...lol.[/quote:190bl5wd]

hairrific

Established Member
Reaction score
KeepTheHair said:
zeroheat said:

This.

Consider This too:

There is a difference when you lower or increase the dosage.

Many people cut a one milligram pill in half because they can't take the sides and have good results from that. Therefore if lowering the dosage a tiny bit helps some, THEN WHY NOT UPPING IT A TINY BIT HELP good responders even more. See my logic? Everyone is different, ONE SIZE DOES NOT FIT ALL. The industry's starting point is 1mg for the masses to keep side effect statistics at the lowest possible yet still have an effective drug to sell.

Example: 1mg is not effective for benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), 5mg IS. That little increase makes all the difference in the world from noneffective to very effective. A difference of 4mg! 4mg lowers DHT levels in the Prostate more than 1mg, enough to prevent inflammation.

This proves there is there is a difference when you lower or increase the dosage a little bit, though admittedly clinical trails clearly showed a 4mg increase just for hair loss purposes was not significantly better and worthwhile for a majority of people, (because of a relatively flat dose response).

D

Dude,Where'sMyHair

This is the first I have heard about the rectangular Finasteride in 5 mg.

I want to increase the dosage, but I am just not ready to go from 1.25 mg to 2.5 mg by cutting the oval 5mg Finasterside.

1.6 mg is seems reasonable.

I am going to look into this.

Charlie5

Reaction score
I'm someone who's been there, if 1mg is working for you stick to it. Increasing the dosage only increases the side effects, and the 3months worth of shedding you get from the increase is no fun either.

I got significant shedding, increasing my dosage from 1mg to 2mg. And also massive shedding in inreaing my finasteride dose from 2mg to 5mg.

Side effects I got:
-significant decrease in semen
-joint pains
-dry thin skin.

-these resolved after decreaing the dose to .25mg daily