Shedding on non-affected areas - this is normal right?

mr_sparkle

Established Member
Reaction score
Just double checking...

I've been on finasteride since August, after quitting propecia which I had been on for aroudn a year and a bit, quitting it for 9 months. I then restarted on 2.5mg, but about 4 or 5 weeks ago dropped to 1.25 due to sides which never went away.

I've basically noticed shedding at the front of my head. My hairloss has mostly been on the crown, which I've not really noticed much difference so far- perhaps a bit thicker. But it's shedding at the front, almost looking like diffuse thinning....and it's got quite a bit worse the last couple of weeks.

Now, I don't see why reducing the dosage would affect these hairs, because they weren't an area affected by male pattern baldness. Am I right in thinking this is just a shed to make way for stronger hairs, it's just a co-incidence of time? Bearing in mind most sheds occur around 3 months in, which is where I'm at.

It seems strange for an area that was absolutely fine to be affected. I've read up a lot about shedding but I was initially under the belief it was the actual thinning areas that shed, but it seems it can be other areas too, which are being strengthened further..

I buzz it v short so it's very easy to notice any changes. I don't actually notice hairs falling off in the shower, but that's due to it being so short.

It's also odd as I didn't notice shedding on my first go on propecia, BUT as it was longer it was harder to notice. And it was only 1mg, so perhaps that extra dosage is helping