Shedding doesn't indicate anything for me.

G

I am on 'le grand trois' and think I am doing pretty well - got a 'looking really thick' from an ex girl friend I hadn't seen in a long while.

But I still shed like hell - I am growing my hair out so it notices much more. I shed from all over my head - if I brush my hand through the horse shoe/donor area I can get >10 hairs - 20 times a day! And the hair at the back of my head is thick as hell

I don't really know why this happens - my mum and sister shed lot's of hair and I have a similar hair type.

I shed from the top as well and it seems like as my hair has improved on the finasteride etc, my shedding has increased.

I have to cut my nails every 2 days to keep them at the same length and I havn't taken MSM for weeks! MAybe I just have a fast metabolism or something.

I don't know why I'm saying this - I guess I've just learnt to ignore the hair in the shower or the comb/brush and look at my head instead.

Goingat20

Reaction score
Do you think you have male pattern baldness?

G

oh yeah - for sure - my norwood area is much thinner than my horseshoe. luckily it looks OK still but I have recession on the temples and when it's wet it can look pretty rough.

But if I took evey hair that falls out of my head to seriouly I would go (even more) crazy.

I don't know why I wrote that message - just to say that even though I shed like crazy I have as much or even more hair on my head than a year ago.

arjun17

Reaction score
quite right

It is the quality of shed hairs which matters, not quantity (unless the latter is super-high, like 200+ hairs everyday). However, if you shed very little or none at all but you are noticing thinning in the Norwood areas (temples, front, top, crown) then YOU HAVE male pattern baldness. That's all there is to it.
Cheers,
Arjun

Master Chief

Established Member
Reaction score
coldcrush said:
oh yeah - for sure - my norwood area is much thinner than my horseshoe.

Sorry if I'm lame but what do you mean by saying your norwood area is thinner than your horseshoe? the norwood is the horseshoe, right?

G

Tjena chief,

Sorry to cause confusion - I don't think norwood area is a technichal term - I just use it to describe the area that goes bald (eventually) on guys - top of head basically. I call the bit of hair round the back and sides that is left - the horseshoe.

Arjun - I know I have male pattern baldness and have done for some time. I do lose 200 hairs a day. I don't have patchy thinning or any thinning at the back or sides - I have some recession on the temples and a bit of diffuse on the top. I have improved my situation a lot with my big three regime whic I have been on for more than 18 months.

Luckily with my hair type - dark brown and curly/wavy - typical dark welsh/irish genetics hair (plus pale skin!) - often mistaken by foreigners and spanish/italian when I have a tan - it does not show very much although it is for sure thinner.

The point of my message is - I lose so much hair every day but I don't seem to be getting balder since I've been on my regimen. It took me a long time but I've just had to sope worrying about the hair I see in the shower or on my hand/brush.

I was just trying to reassure people that just because you still see hair falling out when you are on finasteride/minoxidil etc - it doesn't mean it's not working.