Shedding after 8 months on propecia

kobayasi

Reaction score
Currenly on 0.5 mg propecia(8 months),minoxidil 5%( bed time only), nizoral 1%(three times a week)
Had pretty good results, almost stopped hair loss for first 7 months. But in last three weeks start shedding a lot. Anybody else had similar situation? Is this normal? :cry:

notgay

Reaction score
Umm, read the forums man, many ppl had the same story as you, and around 7 months they have a big shed but it grows back thicker and stronger.

talbin

Reaction score
Yeah man I'm in the same boat as you. The itch pretty much completely stopped and none of my hair was falling out the first 7 motnhs. Now as of the last month, I'm shedding like crazy and my hair looks kind of shitty. I hope it grows back thicker!!

nervx

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same spot. Going into the 7th month now and i'm shedding like mad. If the hair that i've shed so far grows back thicker and stronger it should be a good improvement because i've lost a lot lately.

Dick Hyman

Reaction score
you guys NEED to post how this plays out. I read so any of these posts where people are shedding x amount of months into treatment and then everyone responds saying the same thing but NO ONE EVER POSTS ABOUT HOW IT PLAYS OUT.

PLease let us know what happens. I would recommend posting a new thread in a few weeks letting us know.

thanks!

fallicule

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, yeah. I noticed that too. So many posts talking about these huuuge 7-8th month sheds. Then everyone responds saying how its normal and your hair will grow back. Never really hear from the people again though; seldom, if ever, do I read about people experiencing these massive sheds and reporting back here that their hair is thicker than ever. My point is not a negative one... just saying... please follow up.

I too am shedding like crazy now and i'm in about my 8th month on finasteride. Been about a month and a half and i'm still shedding. I'll update.

shoRt sHanKs

Reaction score
Month 9

Shedding at month 9 here...when I shed at month 3...and month 6, people told me the same exact thing however the hair hasn't come back thicker and fuller it just stopped falling out for a while. You don't have much choice other than to keep at it really. Continue your meds so you at least have a CHANCE at this elusive regrowth(at least for me its elusive! :x )

KipWinger

Established Member
Reaction score
i shed at mounth 6 till mounth 9 or 10. in the firsts mounths so great success. but after shed my hair is a misery. at the mounth 10 the shed stopped. now i am in one year mark, and my hair still a sh*t. no hair coming back stronger.... i am so frustated becouse the firsts mouths my hair really became to a way that i never seen him before! i was loving it.

nervx

Established Member
Reaction score
Yay my shedding seems to have slowed or stopped. I'll have to take pictures weekend and then every other month from after to see if things improve.

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
Real Value of Propecia?

shoRt sHanKs said:
Shedding at month 9 here...when I shed at month 3...and month 6, people told me the same exact thing however the hair hasn't come back thicker and fuller it just stopped falling out for a while. You don't have much choice other than to keep at it really. Continue your meds so you at least have a CHANCE at this elusive regrowth(at least for me its elusive! :x )

This is my impression as to what is going on with some of us; it is not a prognosis. Just something I'm trying to piece together, based on the anecdotes on the board. It is my impression on P's cosmetic value, and not a statement on anything else.

Propecia seems to trigger episodes of Telogen Effluvium very quickly in patients, hastening the loss that you might have experienced more gradually over time. It is true that it is hair you would have lost anyway. You just lost it quicker.

If this is the case -- losing hair you might have lost more gradually -- then the value of Propecia becomes obscure. The whole point is to maintain a level of cosmetic experience for as long as you can. Propecia may actually be accelerating a degree of hair loss, because there is no assurance that any of that hair you lost through Propecia-induced Telogen Effluvium will grow back.

This suggests to me that you might have been better off waiting to take P until you reached a point where hair loss is unacceptable to you. This is where I am beginning to disagree with the CW. Taking it sooner might not be better from a cosmetic standpoint. Shedders may actually be "negative responders."

The problem with this entire post is obvious. Since no one can predict what is going to happen, you don't know if it makes sense to keep taking Propecia or not. Based on the percentages Merck quotes, it does make sense. An 83% chance of staving off the inevitable is better than none. However, this does not remove that daily question we all face: Is it really working? Or am I just fucked?

These are not trivial questions, because the answer is one year away. You can't say for sure whether it is working or not until that one year is up. This puts you in a state of continuous doubt for a period of one year. One year! For those of us who are acutely sensitive about our appearance, this degree of doubt becomes unbearable.

Again, this is just an observation. I am not suggesting that anyone quit therapy. What I am trying to do is balance things. What is infuriating is that I cannot seem to get any professional perspective. The doctor I spoke to doesn't seem to know that this early Propecia-induced Telogen Effluvium is going on. Nor did he seem to care.

Thin

Established Member
Reaction score
fallicule said:
Yeah, yeah. I noticed that too. So many posts talking about these huuuge 7-8th month sheds. Then everyone responds saying how its normal and your hair will grow back. Never really hear from the people again though; seldom, if ever, do I read about people experiencing these massive sheds and reporting back here that their hair is thicker than ever. My point is not a negative one... just saying... please follow up.

Huh? First you said that you don't hear back from people talk who about 7-8th month sheds and in the end you said you "never 'really' " and "seldom" read about people reporting back here that their hair is thicker than ever.

Do you or don't you hear back from people? Make up your mind.

fallicule said:
My point is not a negative one... [/qoute]

I don't get your point.

smacky

Reaction score
i have the same problem. after 7 months i have major shedding. will it grow back??? plz post what happens next.

souldoctor

Reaction score
weirdly enough i've also been shedding loads recently, and im in my 7th month of taking propecia (7th 'real'month that is...although im on my 8th 28-pill box)

i started in May 2005, everything was fine up 'til about mid august, then it started thinning so i got a hair cut...when the hair grew back to normal length by late oct/early november it was good for a bit...got it cut short again, and since then (past 3 weeks) i've been shedding LOADS..all kinds of hairs - dark,pale, long, thick, thin....from all over...hope it bloody grows back!!

SD

FCKW36

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Exact same thing for me, I'm also in month 7... Mybe it wasn't the RU which I stooped for some weeks. WhatsW going on with this 7-8 months shedding?

Ummwhat

My Regimen
Reaction score
Currenly on 0.5 mg propecia(8 months),minoxidil 5%( bed time only), nizoral 1%(three times a week)
Had pretty good results, almost stopped hair loss for first 7 months. But in last three weeks start shedding a lot. Anybody else had similar situation? Is this normal? :cry:

Was starting to get great results and started shedding like crazy at the 8th and 9th months. After about 6 weeks it just stopped. I've had pretty good results. I'm about 1 year in on 1mg finasteride and minoxidil foam 2x a day.

I'm leaving this here because a lot of people report they are in the middle of a crazy shed but no update on what happened next.

dmitry

My Regimen
Reaction score
Was starting to get great results and started shedding like crazy at the 8th and 9th months. After about 6 weeks it just stopped. I've had pretty good results. I'm about 1 year in on 1mg finasteride and minoxidil foam 2x a day.

I'm leaving this here because a lot of people report they are in the middle of a crazy shed but no update on what happened next.
Hello!
I had hair loss at the 8 month on finasteride too. And now I hope it ends.
How do you feel today?