Severity Of Alopecia In French Population and Diet

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
Two studies lumped together by yours truly.

ALOPECIA PATTERN OF MALE IN FRANCE
Cartron M1, Jammayrac O1, Bastien P1, Deloche C1, Galan P2, Hercberg S2, de Lacharrière O1
1L’Oréal Recherche, Clichy, France
2ISTNA, Paris, France

The SUVIMAX study is a French national program done in France on 4050 men, aged between 42 and 64 years and 6231 women aged between 35 and 60 years. Data were collected on hair and scalp features on the whole cohort. We present here the results of the male cohort. Based on the Hamilton scale, the prevalence of androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia) is significantly lower in the South Eastern region of France with 40% of men without alopecia in comparison to an average of 32.4% in the rest of France. In addition focusing on alopecia, we performed a multivariate analysis (MCA and PCA). This statistical approach allowed us to clarify the subjects according to their alopecia profile and also to calculate an alopecia score. The results demonstrate the existence of four different classes of men each with a different alopecia profile: Non alopecic (21.5%), Weak alopecic (31%), Moderate alopecic (32.6%) and Severe alopecic (14.9%). The higher the severity of the alopecia class is, the lower the age of onset for alopecia. Interestingly, the severe alopecia class is the only class characterized by a familial pattern of alopecia. Our results show two important findings: (i) The alopecia prevalence is not equally distributed all over France. The significant lower prevalence in the South Eastern region could be linked to nutritional habits. (ii) The familial hereditary factors for alopecia are only observed for severe alopecia, this could suggest the existence of two forms of alopecia: severe alopecia with a strong genetic influence and a weak/ moderate alopecia linked to the aging process.

Regional dietary habits of French women born between 1925 and 1950
Emmanuelle Kesse,1 Marie-Christine Boutron-Ruault,2 Françoise Clavel-Chapelon,1* and the E3N Group°
Background
Diseases distributions are not the same all over France. As diet is an important determinant of health it is essential to determine whether there was still a diversity in food habits across French regions.

Aim of the study
We examined regional differences in dietary habits and nutrient intakes among French women born between 1925 and 1950 participants in the “Etude Epidémiologique auprès des femmes de l’Education Nationaleâ€￾ (E3N) cohort.

Methods
Data were extracted from self-administered dietary history questionnaires completed by 73024 highly educated, middle-aged women between 1993 and 1995. Canonical and cluster analyses were used to identify contiguous areas of homogeneous dietary habits spanning two or more of the 20 French regions. Dietary clusters were described relatively to the entire cohort mean.

Results
Eight dietary clusters were identified. The following food items were overconsumed: cooked vegetables in the Mediterranean, fish in the West, fruit in the South-East, and potatoes in the North. The following food items were under-consumed: fish in the East, fruit in the North, and potatoes in the South-East and Mediterranean cluster. Consumption of soup and fruit increased with age, while consumption of pork, horse meat and coffee fell with age. Ethanol intake was highest in the North and lowest in the South-East; the types of alcoholic beverages consumed also varied across clusters. Total energy intake, nutrient intakes, and the contribution of carbohydrates, fat and protein to total energy intake were similar across clusters. Intake of cholesterol and polyunsaturated fatty acids varied across clusters.

Conclusion
Dietary habits and alcohol consumption show marked regional differences in this population of middle-aged, highly educated French women. Changes in dietary behaviour with age involved few food items and were similar across clusters, suggesting that regional differences in food and beverage consumption persist.

Some stuff from the archives of the EHRS conference abstracts combined with some googling of dietary variations across France. Interesting that only the worst alopecia was found to be genetic and there was such a difference apparently in prevalence between the South East andd other regions. Of course this could also reflect the higher balding rates amongst people of a Northern European background and the drift of these genes across the population. But the link with fruit and vegetable consumption is interesting since that is such a strong link in so many studies on aging and disease. Again take it for what it is - speculation.
hh

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
More on the variation of antioxidant vitamins in blood across regions of France.

Factors influencing blood concentration of retinol, alpha-tocopherol, vitamin C, and bold italic beta-carotene in the French participants of the SU.VI.MAX trial

Guarantors: S Hercberg and A Favier.

Contributors: SH and PG designed the study. HF, AF, and A-MR supervised and performed vitamin measurements. HF, PP and SB performed the statistical analysis.

H Faure1, P Preziosi2, A-M Roussel3, S Bertrais2, P Galan2, S Hercberg2 and A Favier1

1. 1Département de Biologie Intégrée Bâtiment B, CHU La Tronche BP, Grenoble Cedex 9, France
2. 2U557 Inserm/Inra/Cnam, ISTNA Conservatoire National des Arts et Métiers 5, rue Vertbois, Paris, France
3. 3NVMC, Laboratory de Biochimie, UFR de médecine-pharmacie, Av. des maquis du Grésivaudan, La Tronche, France

Correspondence: Dr H Faure, Département de Biologie Intégrée Bâtiment B, CHU La Tronche – BP 217, Grenoble Cedex 9, Rhone-Alpes 38043, France. E-mail: HFaure@chu-grenoble.fr

Received 28 April 2005; Revised 10 October 2005; Accepted 26 October 2005; Published online 4 January 2006.
Top of page
Abstract
Objectives:

The data was collected during the inclusion step of the SUpplémentation en VItamines et Minéraux AntioXydants (SU.VI.MAX) study. This article deals with the study's first stage before any supplementation. The collected data shows factors influencing blood vitamin concentrations and may reflect the vitamin status of volunteers.
Material and methods:

A total of 12 741 volunteers were enrolled in the SU.VI.MAX study 7713 women 35–60 years of age and 5028 men 50–60 years of age.

The serum concentrations of retinol, alpha-tocopherol, and beta-carotene were measured by HPLC, and vitamin C concentration was measured by spectrofluorimetry using a Technicon continuous flow analysis apparatus.

The volunteers recorded their 24 h diet by means of a specific terminal that was connected to the main central computer of the SU.VI.MAX study. Volunteers recorded the food they consumed daily and estimated its quantity by comparing pictures of dishes.
Results:

Retinol concentration was significantly higher in older volunteers, and was higher in male than in female volunteers. Smoking had no effect on serum retinol, but the latter was higher in the autumn than in the winter. Serum retinol concentrations were higher in the Southwest region and lower in the Ile-de-France and East-Centre regions. Serum alpha-tocopherol was slightly higher in older volunteers and also higher in male volunteers. Serum alpha-tocopherol was significantly lower in smokers, and former smokers showed intermediate levels. Like retinol, serum alpha-tocopherol was higher in the autumn, and higher in the Southwest as compared to the East-Centre Serum beta-carotene was slightly higher in younger volunteers, and concentrations were higher in female than in male volunteers. Tobacco smoking decreased serum beta-carotene, which was higher in the autumn, and higher in the East, West, and North regions. Serum vitamin C was higher in female volunteers, and was not age related. Serum vitamin C was lower in smokers, was season-dependant, but contrary to fat-soluble vitamins, concentrations were higher in the winter and spring. Serum vitamin C was higher in the Southeast and East-Centre, but lower in the North region.
Conclusion:

These results suggest that serum retinol concentrations depend on gender, age, seasons, and location of residence. Similarly, serum alpha-tocopherol concentrations were slightly influenced by age, but more by tobacco smoking, seasons, dietary intake, and location of residence. Serum concentrations of beta-carotene depend on gender, age, smoking status, dietary intake, and location of residence. Serum vitamin C concentrations depend on gender, age, smoking status, seasons, dietary intake, and location of residence. Contrary to beta-carotene, retinol concentrations were higher in male than in female volunteers. Such a reversed relation suggests a higher beta-carotene-retinol conversion in male volunteers.

CCS

Reaction score
harold said:
Conclusion
Dietary habits and alcohol consumption show marked regional differences in this population of middle-aged, highly educated French women. Changes in dietary behaviour with age involved few food items and were similar across clusters, suggesting that regional differences in food and beverage consumption persist.

wow, that is a profound conclusion. You really mean people in different places eat different stuff? cool. how does that relate to hair loss?

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
Um why dont you try reading what I wrote again and see if you can figure it out for yourself genius.
:shakehead:
hh

CCS

Reaction score
this time I read the whole study.

maybe fruits slow age related balding, and potatoes maybe speed it up. anti-oxidants, especially vitamin E, retinol, and vitamin C, slow down the again process, and are destroyed by smoking. alcohol also contributes to mild balding. But severe balding sets in at an early age and is genetic. Good find. Maybe my vitamin C pills will slow down my aging.

CCS

Reaction score
I think asian longevity is a result of their fish oil and leafy greens, and the fish oil extracting vitamin k from the greens.

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
Alright. Sorry to jump down your throat like that. At any rate it could all be explained by geographical distribution of genes predisposing for baldness which wouldnt really help us.
hh

tino

Established Member
Reaction score
For example,you have a polymorphysm in the androgenreceptor gen.But yours is not the type of a very schort CAG-Repeat lenght.It tends to a long repeat,but it is still shorter than the CAG-Raepeats of absoloute Non male pattern baldness Individuals.That such individuals exist,is prooven here:http://www.nature.com/jidsp/journal/v10/n3/full/5640229a.html.Your genetic is still unfavorable- under good circumstances,the outbreak of your "male pattern baldness",will beginn very sneaky at the age of 40.It is well known that aging,or age is next to genes and triggers,a important outbreak promotional factor for male pattern baldness.Your system ages because of declining hormones and encymes.Tissues and adenoids,are fail more and more to produce hormones which keepes health and youth by progressive aging.A healthy and hormone stimmulating nutrition,can help to keep the tissues and adenoids producing in an amount which helps to stay relative young and vital.So researchers found out,that for example red meat,Milk,proteine intake,citrus fruits,b vitamines,and some minerals keep the IGF-1 level high.Capsaicin and isoflavone do it too.When you nourish yourself away from igf-1 promoting food,you may adept aging earlyer than another one,who nourishs pro igf-1.Your cellulaer protection is not adequate warranted anymore.Now your androgenreceptor polymorphism ,has the chance to make damages,because the DHT-igf-1 ratio is in a bad outwight.There will be only a weak amount of igf-1 expression,which can not counteract the androgen induced tgf-beta expression,respectively,your follicles cant counteract the igf-1 deprivation due tgf-beta by secreting more igf-1 as antagonist-when we assume that such a defense mechanism exists.

So this could be one of many occurences which leads to regional differnces in poppulation/nutritive dependet male pattern baldness outbreaks.

CCS

Reaction score
my brother and I and our cousin have severe male pattern baldness. No one else in our family had it this bad. All the men on both sides generations back where NW2, NW3v, or at worst 4v at age 60. All were NW1-1.5 at 20. My cousin was NW1 a long time, then at 30 thinned out fast and at 36 is now NW6. My brother went from NW2 to NW5 in 6 months 4 years ago. I was NW3a in 11th grade.

So I don't think severe male pattern baldness is just genetic. That or we just got all the recessive genes.

That quote said red meat is good. I just eat fish, and I was a vegetarian my whole childhood. My brother was too, and now is a vegan.

tino

Established Member
Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
my brother and I and our cousin have severe male pattern baldness. No one else in our family had it this bad. All the men on both sides generations back where NW2, NW3v, or at worst 4v at age 60. All were NW1-1.5 at 20. My cousin was NW1 a long time, then at 30 thinned out fast and at 36 is now NW6. My brother went from NW2 to NW5 in 6 months 4 years ago. I was NW3a in 11th grade.

So I don't think severe male pattern baldness is just genetic. That or we just got all the recessive genes.

That quote said red meat is good. I just eat fish, and I was a vegetarian my whole childhood. My brother was too, and now is a vegan.

Meet mis also important for iron and creatin.If you have a low serum iron,you can be very sure that it will trigger your male pattern baldness process.Dr Rushton found low serum iron and ferritin,in women with diffuse alopecia.Other investigators found low Iron and ferritin in many women whith so called androgenetic alopecia,and normal iron circumstances in women whith diffuse alopecias.They speculate,that the low iron/ferritin,had triggerd the outbreak and progression of the fpb women.They think that the genetic of them is rather weak,and that missing iron favoured or initiated the process.Same in alopecia areata.They found low iron,but not in serve alopecia totalis and universalis.So they think that the light alopecia areata is also week genetic,and trigger induced.Me to,i was a vegetarian for long time,and than i found out,that my serum iron is low.I substituted,and my hair became stronger,fuller and darker.

docj077

Reaction score
tino said:
Dr Rushton found low serum iron and ferritin,in women with diffuse alopecia.Other investigators found low Iron and ferritin in many women whith so called androgenetic alopecia,and normal iron circumstances in women whith diffuse alopecias.They speculate,that the low iron/ferritin,had triggerd the outbreak and progression of the fpb women.They think that the genetic of them is rather weak,and that missing iron favoured or initiated the process.Same in alopecia areata.They found low iron,but not in serve alopecia totalis and universalis.So they think that the light alopecia areata is also week genetic,and trigger induced.Me to,i was a vegetarian for long time,and than i found out,that my serum iron is low.I substituted,and my hair became stronger,fuller and darker.

Confounding variable.

CCS

Reaction score
tino said:
That quote said red meat is good. I just eat fish, and I was a vegetarian my whole childhood. My brother was too, and now is a vegan. Meat is also important for iron and creatin.If you have a low serum iron,you can be very sure that it will trigger your male pattern baldness process.Dr Rushton found low serum iron and ferritin,in women with diffuse alopecia..Me to,i was a vegetarian for long time,and than i found out,that my serum iron is low.I substituted,and my hair became stronger,fuller and darker.

wow. yeah, my brother and I were vegitarians. I bet we had very low Iron. My brother is not responding to finasteride. I gave him my RU, but it looks like he will just go bald. I'll tell him to have his iron levels checked.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Maybe take a mild dosage of iron every other day?

Hair Loss? It May Be Iron Deficiency

WebMD Health News 2006. © 2006 WebMD Inc.

May 17, 2006 If you're losing hair, you may have an iron deficiency.

A review of 40 years of research shows that iron deficiency has a much closer link to hair loss than most doctors realize. It may be the key to restoring hair growth, Cleveland Clinic dermatologists find.

"We believe that treatment for hair loss is enhanced when iron deficiency, with or without anemia, is treated," Leonid Benjamin Trost, MD; Wilma Fowler Bergfeld, MD; and Ellen Calogeras, RD, MPH, write in the May issue of the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology.

It's a controversial issue. Not every study shows a link between iron deficiency and hair loss. Trost says there's not enough hard evidence -- yet -- to make iron-deficiency screening a routine procedure for people with hair loss.

But study researcher Bergfeld has been doing this for years. And she's finding that whatever the cause of hair loss -- for both women and men -- having too little iron in the blood makes it worse.

"What Dr. Bergfeld has found in decades of experience, is when she treats patients for iron deficiency --even in the absence of anemia -- it can maximize their ability to regrow hair," Trost tells WebMD. "It is not the silver bullet for baldness, but it can definitely help maximize how a patient regrows hair."

The Cleveland Clinic isn't alone in doing this. George Cotsarelis, director of the University of Pennsylvania Hair and Scalp Clinic, has studied iron supplementation in women with various forms of hair loss.

"From our clinic's experience, it is clear to me that if you replenish hair-loss patients' iron stores with iron supplements, they are more likely to regrow hair, or at least stop hair shedding," Cotsarelis tells WebMD. "And they don't have to be anemic. That is the biggest mistake doctors make."

An even bigger mistake would be for balding people to take iron supplements on their own. Unless you have iron deficiency -- diagnosed by a doctor -- iron supplements can lead to a very dangerous condition from iron overload.

Hair Loss May Be a Symptom of Serious Illness

A sensitive way to check total body iron stores is to measure the amount of ferritin in the blood. Ferritin is a protein that plays an important role in iron storage. As a general rule, the less ferritin in the blood, the less iron a body has stored up.

Cotsarelis and Trost say that what most doctors consider to be a normal ferritin level is, in fact, too low. Ferritin levels of 10-15 ng/mL are within the "normal" range. Cotsarelis says a ferritin level of at least 50 ng/mL is needed to help replenish hair. Trost and Bergfeld shoot for 70 ng/mL.

"Doctors see ferritin levels in the normal range, and don't do anything," Cotsarelis says. "But the normal range is wrong, I think. The normal range for women is 10-120 ng/ML, and for men it is 30-250 ng/mL. Why should a man's be lower than a woman's? Mostly because women are iron deficient. It is almost a public health problem. Hair loss is only an indication of this."

Cotsarelis and colleagues have found that women with hair loss have significantly lower iron stores than women without hair loss. Surprisingly, this was particularly true for women with alopecia areata, a form of hair loss caused by haywire immune responses.

"Our theory is that lower iron levels decrease the threshold for developing hair loss of any kind in genetically predisposed individuals," Cotsarelis says. "So people prone to develop even hereditary hair loss, if their iron levels are low, it accelerates that process. We think it's because the hair follicles grow so much, they require a lot of iron."

Women who frequently have heavy menstrual periods often become iron deficient. "If you have a healthy woman with hair loss, you can assume iron deficiency," Trost says.

Iron deficiency is less common in men and postmenopausal women than in women of childbearing age. But it's something Cotsarelis and Trost see often in people with hair loss. Especially when it gets to the point of anemia, iron deficiency can be a symptom of very serious illness. It's important for a doctor to find out why this is happening.

"If you have a man or a postmenopausal woman with iron-deficiency anemia, you need to do a workup to find out why," Trost says. "Say you have a 55-year-old man with iron-deficiency anemia -- it could be caused by bleeding due to colon cancer. Believe it or not, someone can come in complaining of hair loss, and find out it is something serious."

Don't Take Iron Supplements Without Doctor Visit

Iron supplements are not a cure for baldness. But as part of a multipronged approach, Cotsarelis and Trost say, supplements can be a big help.

So is a diet full of iron-rich foods, such as tofu, lentils, beans, oysters, spinach, prunes, raisins, and, yes, lean beef.

Trost says he and Bergfeld usually recommend these foods, plus supplementation with ferrous sulfate, 325 milligrams per day taken on an empty stomach.

It's not an easy supplement to take.

"Iron supplements cause constipation and gastrointestinal upset," Cotsarelis says. "We try different preparations, but they but all seem to have similar problems. And there is some anecdotal evidence that orange juice, vitamin C, or lysine, if take together with the iron, helps the absorption."

Do not take iron supplements unless a doctor has told you that you have iron deficiency, Trost warns.

"Iron supplements are available over the counter, but we recommend you take them only under the supervision of a doctor," he says. "It is safe, when used appropriately, but if taken when inappropriate it can cause some harm. If you take a too-high dose of vitamin C, your body eliminates it -- but iron doesn't work that way. Your body can regulate how quickly it uptakes iron, but has no way to get rid of it quickly. If you are not deficient, you can get iron overload, which can be dangerous."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOURCES: Trost, L. B. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, May 2006; vol 54: pp 824-844. Leonid Benjamin Trost, MD, resident physician, department of dermatology, The Cleveland Clinic, Ohio. George Cotsarelis, director, hair and scalp clinic; and professor of medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------