Selenium, because it sounds cool

parisienne

Established Member
Reaction score
http://mct.aacrjournals.org/content/5/4/913.long : Mechanisms of selenium down-regulation of androgen receptor signaling in prostate cancer
http://mct.aacrjournals.org/content/4/7/1047.long : Androgen receptor signaling intensity is a key factor in determining the sensitivity of prostate cancer cells to selenium inhibition of growth and cancer-specific biomarkers
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2607280/
"Diets high in selenium and isoflavones decrease androgen-regulated gene expression in healthy rat dorsolateral prostate"

Supposedly useful form of selenium : methylseleniocysteine. Can be easily found on Swansons website, and it's pretty inexpensive. It may be a good addition to a topical, but no one has tried yet.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Parisienne, you're my hair loss sister from another mister.... but... aren't you going to dig yourself into a perpetual pit of frustration with stuff like this? ;) Don't we all get enough Selenium in our diets? but yes, it does sound very cool, like all the other trace elements. Can you just devise an ultimate concoction that will cure us? :dunno:

parisienne

Established Member
Reaction score
Parisienne, you're my hair loss sister from another mister.... but... aren't you going to dig yourself into a perpetual pit of frustration with stuff like this? ;) Don't we all get enough Selenium in our diets? but yes, it does sound very cool, like all the other trace elements. Can you just devise an ultimate concoction that will cure us? :dunno:

Haha. My regimen in itself is pretty good, now I'm just peacefully waiting for it to work. Thanks for worrying :) I actually like doing research and I'm also searching some other stuff not hair related (skin, health in general). And yes, we supposedly have it in our diets, but, just like for Iron, I wouldn't say no to a little boost, since it's effortless and cheap.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Haha. My regimen in itself is pretty good, now I'm just peacefully waiting for it to work. Thanks for worrying :) I actually like doing research and I'm also searching some other stuff not hair related (skin, health in general). And yes, we supposedly have it in our diets, but, just like for Iron, I wouldn't say no to a little boost, since it's effortless and cheap.

brazil nuts - I believe have like 10x the daily dose of selenium per ounce. ;)

parisienne

Established Member
Reaction score
careful there, i researched Selenium as well and it can actually cause hairloss if you take too much (which in topical form would be likely). If you search for selenium poisoning symptoms you will see hairloss at the top.

Yess ! I saw that too. Moderation is the key, I guess.
I think I'll try it orally since I don't care that much about my non-scalp androgen receptors, but for you all guys, low dose topical would sound better.

lickawrist

Established Member
Reaction score
Is this supplemental selenium? I take selenium for different reasons and it hasn't had any effect on my hair (+ or - for that matter), but interesting find.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
http://mct.aacrjournals.org/content/5/4/913.long : Mechanisms of selenium down-regulation of androgen receptor signaling in prostate cancer
http://mct.aacrjournals.org/content/4/7/1047.long : Androgen receptor signaling intensity is a key factor in determining the sensitivity of prostate cancer cells to selenium inhibition of growth and cancer-specific biomarkers
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2607280/
"Diets high in selenium and isoflavones decrease androgen-regulated gene expression in healthy rat dorsolateral prostate"

Supposedly useful form of selenium : methylseleniocysteine. Can be easily found on Swansons website, and it's pretty inexpensive. It may be a good addition to a topical, but no one has tried

I do take a mineral supplement pill that contains it. Apparently it is also good for your thyroid.
it indeed sounds cool, as it reminds the moon.
Let us hope it helps!

BTW: would you imagine if one day the perfect solution for hair was found and you realize it had been around all the time, unnoticed?
As in: "oh so it was sufficient to rub your head with concentrated foot odor powder every day for your hair to regrow? Too bad all those dead bald people are not here anymore to try this." :)

parisienne

Established Member
Reaction score
I do take a mineral supplement pill that contains it. Apparently it is also good for your thyroid.
it indeed sounds cool, as it reminds the moon.
Let us hope it helps!

BTW: would you imagine if one day the perfect solution for hair was found and you realize it had been around all the time, unnoticed?
As in: "oh so it was sufficient to rub your head with concentrated foot odor powder every day for your hair to regrow? Too bad all those dead bald people are not here anymore to try this." :)

Yes ! And for prostate issues preventions. Have you noticed any minor change, even jsut itch-wise ?
And yeah haha, actually I was thinking the same. Don't know if this would feel like a blessing or a curse.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's not so much the matter of whether you get enough of something, but rather when putting a higher amount of concentrated substance (particularly in a certain area of the body) can produce some specific effects that might be beneficial or not.

So for example, you may have enough selenium and having some of it in your head. But putting a lot more just on the head (what may be toxic in the whole body) might result in benefits for hair, or not...So, don't think about 'deficiency' but just 'chemical action'.

It is like how body builders use steroids to increase muscle gain. They don't really have 'steroid deficiency' but they seek the action of those specific chemicals for an effect they perceive as beneficial.

That's why saying "oh we get enough selenium in our diet" is kinda missing the point.

Xander94

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's not so much the matter of whether you get enough of something, but rather when putting a higher amount of concentrated substance (particularly in a certain area of the body) can produce some specific effects that might be beneficial or not.

So for example, you may have enough selenium and having some of it in your head. But putting a lot more just on the head (what may be toxic in the whole body) might result in benefits for hair, or not...So, don't think about 'deficiency' but just 'chemical action'.

It is like how body builders use steroids to increase muscle gain. They don't really have 'steroid deficiency' but they seek the action of those specific chemicals for an effect they perceive as beneficial.

That's why saying "oh we get enough selenium in our diet" is kinda missing the point.
Serum zinc levels have been found to be reduced in subjects with Androgenetic Alopecia [15] [16]. Ozturk et al. [17] didn’t find reduced serum zinc levels in male subjects with Androgenetic Alopecia, but detected significantly reduced zinc levels in hair.

Exactly what u are saying, they didnt find reduced serum levels but reduced at the level of the follicle.

Same could apply to selenium