Select-Tech Dumbbells : kickass

DarklyCharming

Established Member
Reaction score
Ordered the Select-Tech dumbbells so I can blast arms at home. These things rock. You can change the weight from 2 pounds to 52.5 pounds with a turn of a dial. If you are home gym guy like me and lazy about driving to the gym, I recommend these. They aren't cheap though. Around 400 bucks.

The Gardener

Reaction score
I was tempted to order the same.... but their only problem is that they max out at 52 lbs. After a few months of working out, you'll be wanting those 60 and 65 lb bells for the chest press...

Then again, buying some 65 lb bells separately when you reach that level should keep a challenge for a year or so. And the selectrex is still workin for the other excersizes on your menu, pretty much all the other excersizes, where the weight range is still on the menu.

DarklyCharming

Established Member
Reaction score
Yea agreed Gardener. I got them for home but I also still have a gym membership. These are mainly for arms so I can keep the 17 inch guns. I'll do shoulder work and lunges with them as well. Nothing beats throwing up insane weights at the gym for bench press. These however let you do almost all of your dumbbell workout at home. I really recommend them for a beginner lifter as well.

ix

Established Member
Reaction score
in all honesty it's not worth it for the price.. it costs 400 dollars.. you can buy all the weights it provides for almost the same price

DarklyCharming

Established Member
Reaction score
ix said:
in all honesty it's not worth it for the price.. it costs 400 dollars.. you can buy all the weights it provides for almost the same price

Yea you can. For me, having two dumbbells instead of 30 helps me save space. Now I just have a bench and these for home gym.

drinkrum

Reaction score
DarklyCharming said:
ix said:

Yea you can. For me, having two dumbbells instead of 30 helps me save space. Now I just have a bench and these for home gym.

Worth it if you value the space and convenience. You can get a bench that stows and use these weights and not need another room -- just slide everything under the bed or in a closet. Clearly, much harder to do if you have ten sets of weights.

I think I'll wait for the price to go down or something to make the same thing cheaper, though.

D.

drinkrum

Reaction score
By the way, DarklyCharming, how's the weight gain? Has it subsided yet? And how are you unequivocally sure that it is the finasteride?

D.

DarklyCharming

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Drinkrum,

Weight gain is slowed down. I'm not unequivocally sure its the Propecia, it just seemed to coincide, which I know is faulty logic. Whatever the cause, Propecia or my ex-frat boy beer intake, I've put on a definite beer gut. Arms and chest never looked better though.

drinkrum

Reaction score
DarklyCharming said:
Hey Drinkrum,

Weight gain is slowed down. I'm not unequivocally sure its the Propecia, it just seemed to coincide, which I know is faulty logic. Whatever the cause, Propecia or my ex-frat boy beer intake, I've put on a definite beer gut. Arms and chest never looked better though.

How's the hair? Propecia doing its thing for you?

D.

DarklyCharming

Established Member
Reaction score
Yup, holding strong. Haven't seen any more regression and if I can hold this until HM comes out, no one will ever know I was ever balding. That's a definite comfort. Since I'm 23, even if it takes ten years to get HM up and running, I'll be 33 with a full head of hair. That almost makes me skip. Almost.

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
drinkrum said:
I think I'll wait for the price to go down or something to make the same thing cheaper, though.
Just get yourself a couple of dumbell bars and a selection of weight discs. Okay it's a bit more of a hassle switching round the weights for different exercises but, on the plus side, they're cheaper and have a higher weight limit. One tip though is to get the 16" bars, rather than the standard 14", as this gives you more room to add weight without having to use quite such large-diameter discs - which can be awkward for certain exercises.

Slarti

drinkrum

Reaction score
Slartibartfast said:
drinkrum said:
Just get yourself a couple of dumbell bars and a selection of weight discs. Okay it's a bit more of a hassle switching round the weights for different exercises but, on the plus side, they're cheaper and have a higher weight limit. One tip though is to get the 16" bars, rather than the standard 14", as this gives you more room to add weight without having to use quite such large-diameter discs - which can be awkward for certain exercises.

Slarti

Yeah, although the weight for the SelectTech would only apply for me for bicep exercises, my girlfriend can use it for almost everything. I would need to get 80-100 lb weights for the chest and 60 lb ones for the shoulders, so maybe I will just get those separately along with the SelectTech. Space is a real concern for me.

Does anyone know what the difference between the Nautilus Select-Tech and Bowflex SelectTech is? They look the same but Bowflex's is $50 more expensive on Amazon.

D.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and check EBAY. There are a few listings which are all cheaper than $400.

drinkrum

Reaction score
Already did. Shipping is a b**ch on eBay though. Anyway, regardless of price, what's the difference b/w the Nautilus Select-Tech and Bowflex SelectTech?

D.

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
Never used them so I've no idea what the difference is but, as a general rule, price variation between virtually identical products comes down to either build quality or paying for the brand. Find somewhere that sells them in the real World so you can have a proper look at them, go ahead and try them out if the shop allows.

Slarti