Scared to order Generic Propecia

bodysnatcher

Established Member
Reaction score
Im in the UK and have been on Propecia for about 2 years now and my prescription cost has just gone up to £44 per month (for 28 tablets)

Thats crazy!

Anyway i been looking to buy it online and so far the only website i can find is inhousepharmacy.co.uk.

They sell

Propecia 84 Tablets for £102.58
&
Finpecia (Generic Finasteride) 180 Tablets for £53.76

I'm considering getting the Finpecia but am worried if switching from Propecia to Finpecia might cause a shed or even not work at all!

I understand that the active ingredient (1mg Finasteride) is in both but I don't think there have been any tests or trails done on finpecia.

Are all the other ingredients exactly the same?

I there definatley 1mg of Finasteride present in Finpecia?

Are Finpecia tablets coated like Propecia to stop them dizzolving too early?

Has anyone who switched from Propecia to Finpecia experienced any problems?

Any problems with inhousepharmacy.co.uk?

Anyone in the same situation as me and paying through the teeth for Propecia when they can get Finpecia for 20% of the price?

bodysnatcher

Established Member
Reaction score
Just found this at http://www.myhair.co.il/finasteride.html

Finpecia / Fincar

Manufacturer: Chipla.

Active Ingredient: Finasteride.

Dosage: Finpecia - 5mg/day, Fincar - 1mg/day.

Let's start with a little background on how drug patents are registered in the Pharmaceutical industry. A Pharmaceutical company that develops a new drug can register it as a patent, which will allow them to sell it exclusively for a duration of 20 years. After that period of time any other pharmaceutical company can manufacture and sell that drug under a different name. These versions are usually much cheaper then the origin and are referred to as Bulk, or Generic.

Since Merck patented Propecia in the late 90's, generic versions of it are only likely to be sold many years from now.

In India however, that international patent law does not apply. They have their own local law under which a patent can be registered only for the manufacturing process of a drug. This means that Indian pharmaceuticals companies can produce and market any patent protected drug as long as they can come up with a different way of producing it.
Chipla, an Indian pharmaceutical firm, takes full advantage of that law to manufacture their cheap generic versions of many patent protected drugs. Finpecia and Fincar are their versions of Propecia and Proscar.

These generic versions can be found in India, but it is relatively easy to obtain them from online drugstores.

There are no known studies conducted by Chipla aiming to prove their generic Finasteride is Identical and as efficient as Merk's original one, but from a pharmaceutical company of their magnitude one can assume that it is.

:pensativo:

Private Ryan

Established Member
Reaction score
bodysnatcher:

the website you posted not only bash India made finasteride but also original proscar... from their point of view, you have no choice but to use original propecia and as you say it is going to be expensive...

go to success story forums... you will find many people are having success with India made finasteride and proscar...

so don't worry too much... remember thousands and thousands of people in India use it for enlargement of the prostate gland... if fincar does not work, they are in trouble...

Solo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I use fincar, and I´ve used proscar before.

IMO, the price they charge for propecia is abusive.

kalbo

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this article has been posted here before, but it basically states that Cipla is recognized by the WHO (world health organization) as a leader in producing effective generic drugs as a cheap alternative to brand name drugs. So this may ease any anxieties in using Cipla products.

PARIS, March 20 — In a move that could help bring down the price of AIDS medicines for poor countries, the World Health Organization today released its first list of manufacturers of safe AIDS drugs, which included a large Indian producer of generics and three smaller European ones.

The decision represents a setback for the pharmaceutical multinationals who want only patent-holders to decide what discounts to offer on their most expensive and profitable products. The medicines on the list are approved for United Nations purchase, and it will encourage price competition in poor nations by telling health officials which of hundreds of generics suppliers make safe drugs.

"This is a breakthrough," said William F. Haddad, a generics maker who helped create the cheaper off-brand industry in the United States in the 1980's. He said it was the first time the World Health Organization "has had the nerve to challenge the multinationals by listing generic versions of drugs that are still on patent."

Dr. Peter Piot, director of the United Nations AIDS agency, said he hoped the list would help patients "gain greater access to affordable H.I.V. medicines of good quality."

The list includes 41 different formulations of drugs, among them 11 antiretroviral drugs and five drugs for infections that often accompany AIDS. Of the total, 26 come from major manufacturers: GlaxoSmithKline, Bristol-Myers Squibb Company, Roche Holding, and Abbott Laboratories.

But 10 were from Cipla Ltd., the generic drug maker based in Bombay, India, that was the first to try breaking Western patent monopolies in February 2001 by offering AIDS therapy for $350 a year to charities and African governments.

Before that, AIDS treatment in Africa generally cost the same as it did in the West, $10,000 or more. Only a handful of countries had negotiated prices in the range of $1,000 a year after lengthy negotiations with the patent-holders, who sometimes required them to keep the lower prices a secret.

"I am delighted," said Dr. Yusuf K. Hamied, the chairman of Cipla. "This proves that we adhere to good manufacturing practices on a par with other companies. It says Cipla is kosher, so now the multinationals can't throw at us what they have said: `They're Indian, they're Third World, the quality might be iffy.' "

Cipla products that the World Health Organization accepted include the antiretrovirals nevirapine, zidovudine, better known as AZT, and lamivudine, better known as 3TC. These three drugs make up one common AIDS cocktail. The health organization also accepted Cipla's acyclovir for shingles infections, ciprofloxacin for bacterial infections, and vinblastine and vincristine sulfate for Kaposi's sarcoma, a skin cancer.
http://www.accessmed-msf.org/prod/publications.asp?scntid=21320021030313&contenttype=PARA&

Bod

Reaction score
His based in the UK so what's the point in ordering from India when he can get the real deal on his doorstep.

powersam

Reaction score
whats wrong with you kids?

to the original poster. qhi.co.uk

the genuine article at a good price

powersam

Reaction score
well qhi has 28 tabs of genuine proscar for 46 euro. dunno how hat compares but it sounds alright to me