scared sh1tless

Reaction score
been on finasteride for about 5 months lost hair consisently since then, about 20-30 per day(don't know if this is considered a shedd). month into treatment noitced that i am thinning not only in crown but the sides and back and i actually have a thin patch way at the back (where the neck meets the head), about an inch long and inch wide. but for that past two days i started to lose about 50 per day and i think it is cause i took a mutli vitamin for those two days. don't know if it is because i haven't taken a vitamin for two hyears and that my body is in shock or something worse is happening. anyways tonight i am not gonna take it and see what happens. what do you guys think?

htownballa

Established Member
Reaction score
u might have diffuse unpatterned alopecia, which means u might eventually bald completely and utterly going beyond Norwood 7

Consult a doctor though, as it may be related to health deficiencies

Reaction score
o, by the way, i had just about enough of my itchy scalp so i said FUk IT ran my fingers through my hair like 6 times and shedded about 50 hairs and a bunch of flakes was well. Man...its like Telogen Effluvium and male pattern baldness at the same FUKing time. anyways, i have been on nizoral and tgel and head and shoulders for months now but its still flaking and itching. my question is, when you guys shampoo, do you use your finger tips to massage the shampoo in or use your palm and gently rubb your head. also, is it normal that i use head and shoulder, nizoral, and t gel and still have bad itching and flaking? i think if you don't work the shampoo in your scalp then the effects of nizoral won't be as effective. all i take is 1/4 finasteride and its been like 5 months.

Reaction score
Hawaii male said:
its normal to loose 50-100 hairs a day

normal as in mathematically? because i never came close to losing that much before my male pattern baldness kicked in and it kicked in when i was about 23 years old. so it anit normal its male pattern baldness kicking some serious follicle ***. its only normal to lose that much hair IF AND ONLY IF you have been losing that much hair since birth.

beaner

Reaction score
newguytothisforum said:
Hawaii male said:
its normal to loose 50-100 hairs a day

normal as in mathematically? because i never came close to losing that much before my male pattern baldness kicked in and it kicked in when i was about 23 years old. so it anit normal its male pattern baldness kicking some serious follicle ***. its only normal to lose that much hair IF AND ONLY IF you have been losing that much hair since birth.

No...the average human being loses 50-100 hairs per day sometimes as many as 150 and this is completely normal. It is just that those that have male pattern baldness the hair is continuously replaced by a thinner and thinner until it is almost invisible. Not quite sure where you got the idea for your last statement. You have to realize that 10% of your hair at any given time is in the telogen phase and is going to shed within 90 days...the percentage is even higher when you have male pattern baldness. Now if you have 100,000 hairs on your head, you have about 10,000 hairs that are going to be shed over a 90 day period.

Reaction score
Could you post a picture of your flaking skin and hair?[/quote]

no but you can imagine what flakes look like right? my question is how long does it take for nizoral, t gel, and head and shoulders to kick in? i have been using these three for that last 5 months and my scalp is still dry, flaky, and itchy.

to the comment made by beaner, 10,000 hairs will shedd in 90 days??? and its normal? i hope so becuase i felt a little sadistic JUST now and ran my fringers to my head about 6 times and all kinds of sh*t started to fall out. dandruff and about 50 hairs. o, and i just came out of the shower, used nizoral, left it on my head for about 3 mins. after i came out my head felt itchy again and i couldn't take it anymore so i sctrached and ran my fingers through it. i didn't get ruff becuase i didn't have to cause my hair is buzzed with a #6 trimmer. i only stopped because i started to get scared and that there seemed to be no end in sight, hairs would have just shed and shed.

i hope this is normal only becuase i never ran my fingers through my head ever since i noticed i was thinning and this was 3 years ago nor did i ever use a comb snice then.

beaner

Reaction score
Well...it is a fact that 10% of ones hair is in the telogen phase at any given time....I just estimated the 10,000 hair figure based on a 100,000 hair count of the average human head. It may or may not be that many within 90 days...but I dont think that it is too far off the mark. Also realize that the hair you lose each day is not only the hair you see in the tub or on your pillow...it falls out all the time and you will not notice most of them. Also...and this is just my opinion....watch out for Nizoral...I think a lot of scalps cannot handle it and people just continue to use it because these forums say its good for male pattern baldness. Regardless of its possible benefits for male pattern baldness...it is still an antifungal drug meant for a certain purpose, and slathering it on a scalp that doesn't need it may not be the best thing....and again, that is just my opinion of Nizoral....and not just because I personally cannot use it due to an allergic reaction caused by it.

blandflabbis

Reaction score
I know this thread is slipping away into oblivion, but I have to say that's good advice Beaner. There are so many people who see hair falling out as a sign of male pattern baldness when it's completely natural and everyone - from a 70 year old man to a 20 year old girl - loses hair. Personally I don't buy into the whole concept of shedding with respects to Propecia or any other drug, the only time that excessive shedding occurs is when there is some medical condition - such as an allergic reaction to something, stress or some other condition - which as a symptom causes hairloss. Never is the hairloss caused by Propecia acting correctly and it's very rare that someone would take an adverse reaction to it which would cause their hair to fall out.

G

Hawaii Man, yes, it's normal to lose 50 to 100 hairs a day. The problem is if you only have about 500 hairs left on your scalp, and possibly 100 wispy, microscopic hairs spread out over your increasingly visible dome. Guys with thick hair have nothing to worry about. If, on the other hand, you are getting very rapidly bald, 100 hairs a day spells BALD. No way around it.[/b]

Hawaii male

Established Member
Reaction score
dukshyboy said:
Hawaii Man, yes, it's normal to lose 50 to 100 hairs a day. The problem is if you only have about 500 hairs left on your scalp, and possibly 100 wispy, microscopic hairs spread out over your increasingly visible dome. Guys with thick hair have nothing to worry about. If, on the other hand, you are getting very rapidly bald, 100 hairs a day spells BALD. No way around it.[/b]

gee.. you think?

Thanks for giving us your personal experiance :D