Scalp problems

marco

Reaction score
Guys.....This is my situation I'm currently taking propecia 2mg a day for about 4 yrs now. about 6 months ago my scalp has become very sensitive. I get this pinching sensation like someone is sticking needles in my scalp followed by itching and then leads to hair loss. I'm not on any topicals and I rotate shampoos often ( PM green tea and nizoral ). I cant see anything on the surface and I dont know what could be causing it. Can someone plz help. also I have oily hair can someone plz rec. a solution Thanks

G

marco said:
Guys.....This is my situation I'm currently taking propecia 2mg a day for about 4 yrs now. about 6 months ago my scalp has become very sensitive. I get this pinching sensation like someone is sticking needles in my scalp followed by itching and then leads to hair loss. I'm not on any topicals and I rotate shampoos often ( PM green tea and nizoral ). I cant see anything on the surface and I dont know what could be causing it. Can someone plz help. also I have oily hair can someone plz rec. a solution Thanks

Question, why 2 MG per day?

Second-what does your scalp look like, red, irritated.

I would certainly start Nizoral every third day for 3-5 minutes . See if that does the trick. 1% Nizoral is in any drug store.

Good luck.

marco

Reaction score
Bruce.....My scalp looks fine I seen a derm. about 2 weeks ago and she said she didnt see anything wrong although she wanted to inject my scalp with cordizone (pardon the spelling) I refused not knowing what the results would be. I really dont know what to do at this point. I started taking 2mg because I was convinced by someone that propecia was dose dependent. dont know if it is and I'm not crazy about the idea of reducing the dosage to 1mg I figured people are taking 5mg of proscar 2mg of propecia couldnt be to drastic

G

marco said:
Bruce.....My scalp looks fine I seen a derm. about 2 weeks ago and she said she didnt see anything wrong although she wanted to inject my scalp with cordizone (pardon the spelling) I refused not knowing what the results would be. I really dont know what to do at this point. I started taking 2mg because I was convinced by someone that propecia was dose dependent. dont know if it is and I'm not crazy about the idea of reducing the dosage to 1mg I figured people are taking 5mg of proscar 2mg of propecia couldnt be to drastic

Not true on the dosage. Please go to the research section of this website and check out the data on this. At the very least, you are wasting a lot of money with this dose. At worse, you are setting yourself up for more side effects than you need to.

There is no support for taking more than 1 mg per day, in fact, the data suggests you need less than that for male pattern baldness purposes.

That of course may have nothing to do with you scalp issue but who knows. I would drop to 1 MG today.

And I would add nizoral right away and see if this impacts your scalp issues. While you on the research section, read about nizoral too.

And lastly, you were wise to stay away from the cortisone injection. That is what Docs do when they are clueless what to do.

Good luck

Reaction score
My derm prescribed me a topical cortizone (and propecia) because he wasn't sure if I had alopecia areata or male pattern baldness. He ran no tests whatsoever; should I see this as a cue to see another dermatoligist or call him back and demand tests be run?

G

LactoseFactory said:
My derm prescribed me a topical cortizone (and propecia) because he wasn't sure if I had alopecia areata or male pattern baldness. He ran no tests whatsoever; should I see this as a cue to see another dermatoligist or call him back and demand tests be run?

I woyuld find a derm who knows something about hair loss.

Reaction score

Easier said than done.

Using AAD's "Find a Dermatologist", any derm in my tri-state area that has a profile doesn't list alopecia as a specific speciality. Calling the other dermatologists is all but worthless, as it is difficult to get any useful information out of a receptionist. Is there something I'm not doing right or is it really this difficult finding a qualified dermatologist?

G

LactoseFactory said:

Easier said than done.

Using AAD's "Find a Dermatologist", any derm in my tri-state area that has a profile doesn't list alopecia as a specific speciality. Calling the other dermatologists is all but worthless, as it is difficult to get any useful information out of a receptionist. Is there something I'm not doing right or is it really this difficult finding a qualified dermatologist?

I think it IS difficult. Try a Google search to see if you can uncover one. Might be worth travelling a bit to find the right one.

lovely711

Reaction score
marco said:

I had EXACTLY the same sitiation as you. Just like someone pricking with a needle and heavy itching on that area. I met lot of doctors, but none of them knew what was going wrong, and situation just worsened.. finally one derm discovered that I am having alopecia areata. I never had that in my life. What my suggestion is that do what your derm says. Try that cortisteroid ointment. If it is alopecia areata you will start feeling a huge relief within a week.

I am not blaming propecia for my AA.. But defenitely there is food for thought.. AA can be caused by many reasons, it is just that all of a sudden something triggers body's immune system to attack the hair follicles. In a recent study I have heard that a hormonal disorder can very well initiate AA.. So in that event, since I did not ever had AA in my lifetime, and none of my family members ever had this problem, I would believe there is defenitely food for thought..

bombscience

Reaction score
I have the pins and needles feeling too... this is really weird, I have another dermo appointment coming up, I'll see what they say then.