Sauna and Steam room

googler

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been getting some good results at the gym but I was wondering is it worth using the sauna and/or steam room after a work out? Does the steam room actually help you lose fat, or is just a myth? How long should you use either to see benefits?

Britannia

Reaction score
I use the steam room after a work out. I dont know the scientific explanation but if you use a steam room after a work out, your muscles dont ache the next day. I cant use a sauna as it gives me severe acne on my chest and shoulders.

jeffreyt21

Reaction score
Both the steam room and the sauna have their benefits. I love the steamroom too because, like Britannia said, it helps muscles to relax by improving the blood circulation to them. The sauna however, makes me more relaxed and calm. I consider it a good stress reliever as one of the best methods to excrete toxins from the body is through profuse sweating. Britannia, have you tried showering right after leaving the sauna? Usually, the break-outs are due to the body sweating out a bunch of crap, and once that dries on the skin the pimples appear.

Britannia

Reaction score
Yeah Ive tried that, even using an industrial grade body dcrub afterwards but still acne. Maybe Im just non-sauna compatible :cry:

googler

Established Member
Reaction score
I must say my mild acne does seem to clear up when I use the sauna, but I rarely have the time or patience to use the sauna after a work out because I work out in the evening and by the time I'm finished the gym is closing up.

bluntman

Reaction score
Ive been trying this steam room at the local 24-hr fitness and let me tell ya, you really feel refreshed and energized when you get out of thier. i like to go in there before i hit the weights and try to warm up the body a bit and loosen up the muscles.

Jupiter1

Reaction score
using a sauna/steam cleanses by opening up the pores. Lactic acid build-up is also reduced if used after a workout.

Axon

Reaction score
I use the sauna or steam room because it feels bad *** when you walk out and the room temperature air hits you.

Felk

Reaction score
I heard the sauna was good for skin and acne.... i never heard of anyone breaking out from it.... damn i was looking to use it for my skin!

Freestyle

Established Member
Reaction score
Steam rooms are excellent for skin clarity and health.

Buy a pair of exfoliating gloves, and scrub yourself down while you're in there. Do it for about 10-20 minutes and you should have a good amount of toxins and oils out of your body.

Then hit the showers -- hot water at first, to open up the pores and scrub any excess surface oils/toxins off.

Finish it off with a COLD blast for a few minutes, to get circulation going and to restrict the pores from inviting in more crap.

You skin will look and feel great after this.

Also, use a good quality moisturizer (I use Anthony Logistics' Oil Free Facial Lotion and Eye Cream). You'll look and feel five years younger within a month.

Felk

Reaction score
Thanks for that freestyle, ill give it a shot.

Does this benefit acne prone skin?

Ill give emu oil a shot as a moisturiser first, then check up on your recommendation.