Samsam's Story (Telogen Effluvium)

samsam

Reaction score
Hello folks. My name is Sam, I am a 27 year old grad student and I have just experienced a bout of what they call "telogen effluvium", and I am utterly puzzled as to why so few men with no past history of hair loss/male pattern baldness and a bout of Telogen Effluvium have not posted their own "success stories" on internet forums such as these.

First let me tell you a little about myself and my situation: I have absoltuely no male pattern baldness in my family, my maternal grandfather was part Native American and both my mother and I (although we look and consider ourselves Caucasian) both inherited the characteristic dark, thick hair. I guess you could say I have a "George Clooney" type hairline. I have no chest hair and I can barely grow a beard.

Last semester, I went through one of the most stressful periods of my life, with the following problems occuring AT THE SAME TIME within a brief period:

1. break-up with girlfriend
2. I found out my mom had cancer
3. final exams
3. a one-month battle with a severe cold/headache/cough (don't know really what it was, to tell you the truth. flu?)
4. A winter break internship in DC that I had to get up every morning at 5am for, despite my illness, my worrying about my mother, and my general depression.

After about 2 weeks into the internship, I noticed I started to shed massive amounts of hair in the shower, easily about 150-200 each morning. Almost overnight, my hair went from black to brown, I was thinning all over, and I noticed the front area was limp and I could not style it "up" in a quasi-pampodour fashoin like I used to, even with hair gel. I noticed my part was getting bigger, and I could actually SEE MY SCALP in the mirror when my hair was wet, something which I could not do before.

By the time I finished my internship, I was exhausted, I felt spent and fatigued. Even though I got over my ex-girlfriend, my mom survived her cancer, my mild illness went away, and I aced my finals, I was still worried about my hair, which seemed to be getting progressively worse.

I read all the literature on the net and I told myself I had telogen effluvium. I relaxed a little bit, since my hair loss was all over and not in the classic male pattern baldness pattern. I cut my hair shorter, started taking multivitamins, and relaxed.

Within the 3rd or 4th week into my hair loss (which was mid-january), I also started to notice something else: a fine fringe of hair started appearing on my hairline and strangely enough, my part appeared to be getting better and I could no longer see my scalp, although my hair was still extremely thin all over and I was still shedding massive amounts.

I was worried that the hair growing back appeared thinner than usual, but within a week or so, that fine fringe of new hair on my hairline turned thicker, and my hair stays up without hair gel like it used to and it is getting progressively darker and thicker all over (even though paradoxically, I was still shedding MASSIVE AMOUNTS).

Just 2 days ago, after purchasing a chlorine water filter, I took the dreaded shower after 3 days of not washing my hair, and I only lost around 70 hairs MAX! Needless to say I was pretty psyched and I have noticed that my hair on the hairline and temples is "filling in" and turning into a jungle as the new growth is thickening.

Thats all for now, I just wanted to post my story because I know someone on this site is lurking around, wondering if they will ever grow their hair back after Telogen Effluvium, and in my case it did.

PS: I stopped worrying about my hair in January because all the literatre I read suggested that it took anywhere from 6 moths to a year to see new growth, but in my case it took only 2 months. I guess thats because my hair is thick and grows very fast

samsam

Reaction score
oh and another thing: even though I first suspected telogen effluvium combined with male pattern baldness due to my thinnening hairline, I now have a theory as to why the front appears to be thinning dreadfully faster than the rest of my hair.

The front hairline has no "support" like the rest of the hair does and is most evident since its "out there by itself" and the forehead creates a sharp contrast to the frontal hair growth. Since the hairline is "out there by itself", diffuse hair loss with create the impression that the hairline is receding, even though it is getting thin just like the rest of the hair

razorwest7

Reaction score
hey man , I'm happy for you and you success story, and I pray that I will have the same fortune as you.
I'm pretty sure that I suffered telogen effluvium as well, my hair transformed over 3 months for the worse, in 2004 whilst I was going through a real trumatic period, which to this day I dont think I have completley got over. I started losing hair over on the frontal region on the right side of my head. The patch has remained to the day. I'm only 22, and I was know during my time in universtiy for my looks and my hairstyles and popular with the ladies, but since my hair has worse I don't feel as confident as I used to. I don't think I suffer from male pattern baldness , as the areas where there is a loss or thin hair is in various patches. All the doctors I have seen , have told me that there is not really a problem but that they expect the hair to recovery itself, but i feel that the Telogen Effluvium has now become a permenant thing.

svarun

Reaction score
Hi sam,

What are all the medicines u took?

I am 24 yrs old male. I had headfull of hair 3yrs before. 2006 june i have joined coaching class for national level xam. so i had office time frm 9-6 and coaching clas 6-9:30. like tht i have prepared fopr xam about 8 months.during tht period i dont think i took healty fud and also duting tht period my hair was turned to brown in color and i was lossing hair gradully. in jan-feb 2007, i was stresd alot since xams were nearing. till june i was running here n there, for intrview to get admision. in jan 2007 i had fever with joint pain etc. i took medication i ddint consider seriosly.

in july 2007 , i have joined in one of the institute. there as well in first sem it waz tough and i used to sleep 4Am -10Am. i used to study at nights . so mostly if the time i missed my break fast. n dec2007 i started losing lots of hairs and in march i lost 50% of my hair. the loss in one the top of head and also its not even ( but not patches). theres no male pattern baldness n my father and mother side.however my side my uncles hav frontal receding line only but thy have heda ful of hairs..thy r in 60's now.

i had receding hariline. but tht line is stil in same position after 6 yrs. but the only problem is the density at the top of the head reduced to 50%. i can see my scalp. really am worried abt lot.

the density of hairs above ears also reduced. wil Telogen Effluvium cause this as weel.

i have scalp itching problem as well. white patches are coming out while scartchi and also sometimes scalp paining.

I can say its Telogen Effluvium, bcaz in male pattern baldness the miniaturaisation will be gradual. but n my case lost sudeely in 3-4 months. stil am losing i think. am 25 runnign now....plz somebody help me.

Sam tell me about ut medications and if any therapeis etc.

thanks

Varun