Salon prices, is this cut in quote too high?

Nigelw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am about to begin wearing again for the first time since before Covid hit. I was sourcing through my previous salon and so the prices were all inclusive with the services plus the units.
I am now ordering my own units and will only use salon for cut in service.
I was quoted at one place $100 which seemed very reasonable and even low.

But the next two places quoted me $200, and the third said between $225 and $250 but she couldn't tell me for sure until she saw me and the unit in person.

Over 200 dollars, and possibly up to $250 for just a cut in seems high to me. I understand the salons need to make their money and especially if I am not purchasing hair through them, but is $225-250 high, or is this normal these days?

Smidgeon

My Regimen
Reaction score
250 dollars to give you a 15 dollar hair cut? eeek.

By cut in do you glue the unit to your head and then go to the salon and they cut your hair for you?

Sure, I mean it's slightly different to cutting a normal head of hair but 250 sounds insane for what accounts to a standard mens hair cut. if I were you I would not go to any of them, email your local hair dressers giving them a pic of the unit telling them it will be fully glued to your head and all you need is a quick hair cut. I'm sure it would end up being closer to 40 dollars.

Edit - also worth mentioning that the units I have bought online (stock units) all three of the suppliers i have used charge about 40 dollars to cut the base to my size and give it the haircut of my choosing. So perhaps in future you should get the supplier to cut the hair for you rather than buying plain stock units then having to pay extra for hair cuts. As for your bio hair, there are plenty of videos on youtube on how to easily cut it yourself with clippers.

Last edited:

Nigelw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
250 dollars to give you a 15 dollar hair cut? eeek.

By cut in do you glue the unit to your head and then go to the salon and they cut your hair for you?

Sure, I mean it's slightly different to cutting a normal head of hair but 250 sounds insane for what accounts to a standard mens hair cut. if I were you I would not go to any of them, email your local hair dressers giving them a pic of the unit telling them it will be fully glued to your head and all you need is a quick hair cut. I'm sure it would end up being closer to 40 dollars.

Edit - also worth mentioning that the units I have bought online (stock units) all three of the suppliers i have used charge about 40 dollars to cut the base to my size and give it the haircut of my choosing. So perhaps in future you should get the supplier to cut the hair for you rather than buying plain stock units then having to pay extra for hair cuts. As for your bio hair, there are plenty of videos on youtube on how to easily cut it yourself with clippers.
Sorry for double posted thread.
Yes, they cut the base to fit my template, then cut the system hair to my specifications.
It's not about the bio hair, I do all of that myself anyway, it's about cutting the system hair properly.
The issue is this, these salons make their money by taxing the heck out of these systems they buy at wholesale prices. So if you are not purchasing through them, and are instead bringing in your own, they have to make it worth their while.

But I agree, 250 is ridiculous but it may be my only option

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry for double posted thread.
Yes, they cut the base to fit my template, then cut the system hair to my specifications.
It's not about the bio hair, I do all of that myself anyway, it's about cutting the system hair properly.
The issue is this, these salons make their money by taxing the heck out of these systems they buy at wholesale prices. So if you are not purchasing through them, and are instead bringing in your own, they have to make it worth their while.

But I agree, 250 is ridiculous but it may be my only option

The wholesale cost for hair systems has in some cases more than doubled since the start of the pandemic. Is is increasingly hard to get supply, and especially lace, in a decent quality.

Again, no one is forcing you at gunpoint to go there. Just because someone charges MORE than you feel like you should pay doesn't make them a cheat. Do you think how difficult is was for these folks when on lockdown? These small business don't have much cushion. They don't have enough insurance to cover closures. Or reduced clientele. I know folks who devastated what little retirement they had just to stay afloat.

Being on the other side of this, I see clients absolutely unwilling to face the reality of the situation that we are in. The incredible hurdles that suppliers face with getting raw materials, workers, logistics, etc. It's a miracle we can get stuff out at the rate we are, despite everything we are facing.

Nigelw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The wholesale cost for hair systems has in some cases more than doubled since the start of the pandemic. Is is increasingly hard to get supply, and especially lace, in a decent quality.

Again, no one is forcing you at gunpoint to go there. Just because someone charges MORE than you feel like you should pay doesn't make them a cheat. Do you think how difficult is was for these folks when on lockdown? These small business don't have much cushion. They don't have enough insurance to cover closures. Or reduced clientele. I know folks who devastated what little retirement they had just to stay afloat.

Being on the other side of this, I see clients absolutely unwilling to face the reality of the situation that we are in. The incredible hurdles that suppliers face with getting raw materials, workers, logistics, etc. It's a miracle we can get stuff out at the rate we are, despite everything we are facing.
Deja vu

Rijad

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think it depends on their skills that reflect the price. I would check their reviews online to see how good they are. $100 but you get a bad cut/style is definitely a big no from me. I always get the hairstyling service from those online suppliers anyway. Not so expensive, so you can give it a try this way maybe ?

Angilaroy45

My Regimen
Reaction score
Each stylist is at a different point in their career. When stylists have reached a certain number of years, their prices are raised to reflect their experience, skills, and education. Our Style level stylists have 2-5 years of experience, Senior stylists have 6-9 years and Master stylists have 10+ years of experience.
It may also depend on the types of services they provide depending on the location. For example, you can't charge the same price for villagers which you charge the person living in cities. However, you can check the salon rates yourself and make your choices which you can afford. salon rates help you to find the best salon and their rates with services online.

Last edited:

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It is a lot of money and the salon I use has put their prices up recently too. In the UK we can pay the equivalent of $200 - $400 for a complete fit and cut-in on new systems. Of course it is a huge amount of money, but the job takes at least 2 hours and then you only have to do it once for each new system. So on average I might pay 2 or 3 times a year for this service.

ChickenStranger

My Regimen
Reaction score
They are ripping you off big time,avoid them.

When I used to do the hair replacement salon thing. A cleanup,haircut etc was £45.

They were skilled stylists who did an excellent tapered fade in look with my bio hair to blend with the hair system.

The company was Optima Hair in Birmingham,UK.

Shame they only did thin skin bases with a lace front. And were expensive or might have stuck with them.

The same price Hair4all charges £45 for a regroom, I just checked.

And top stylist and company MG Ford(Mike Ford) only charges £60 for a regroom.

Last edited:

Mystery411

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My unit + cut in is $500 at my salon. I get about 9 months out of it. So, while some may think it’s expensive, I rather pay extra for piece of mind.

Mystery411

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Yeah, the owner of the salon I go to would hustle to get units (last year). So, props to all of you in the industry who have kept it alive.

noblesources

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Send in a template to your hair system provider, they charge 20 bucks or something extra to do a cut-in, you get the base pre-cut, apply it to your head, go in to a salon for a standard haircut (who deals with hair systems preferably)

now you override the bullshit costs