sal1's Story

sal1

Reaction score
I have not posted here for a long time. I think this forum is so very important for sharing the stress and concerns of hair loss. There are some great success stories, however some sad ones too. I feel terrible for the young people in their early 20's that are going through the stress of hairloss. And those who have opted for hair transplant's at an early age and had bad results makes me feel horrible. So maybe my story will help someone in some way I hope.

My story is this. I had no problem with hair loss until I was 28 years old. I had plenty of hair and it was thick. Someone made a comment to me saying "you dont have to worry about losing that mop on your head". Well that was it. No more than a couple of weeks after that comment I started to lose my hair in the crown. I couldnt believe that I was approaching 29 years old soon and now I'm going bald?

I rushed out and got the topicals, propecia, special shampoo and anything else I could get my hands on. But at the rate my hair was coming out it put me in a panic. So I looked into a hair transplant and I was sold. I'm getting my full head of hair back!!! It was not what I expected. Very thin coverage and a wide donar scar. Now I felt worse. I went to a different Dr. and he said he could fix me up by giving me better coverage in the crown and fix my fat donar scar. He did do a good job at reducing the size of the scar, over time however the coverage still was not what I hoped for in the crown.

I get into my early 30's and now my front hairline starts to fall out. I again could not believe it. I thought if you got past 25 years old you were safe from going bald. I thought wrong.

My frontal hairline was going quickly so back to the Dr. I went. No pills or lotions were going to help me at this point. I had another hair transplant session in the front and in the back. I was about 36 years old at that point. As time passed I was very happy and relieved with my results. Better than I expected.

Fast foward to now. I'm now 39 years old. Am I still happy with my results? Pretty much yes. The frontal work looks very good and natural. I'm very happy with it.

The crown however is a different story. I lost what natural hair I had left over the past 3 years and now its thin again. When the grafts first grew in and mixed with my existing hair it looked fine.

I will say this. I think hair transplant's are a good solution for some people. Not all people. If you're young I'd wait and see what you can do before opting for surgery. You will continue to lose hair over the years. I have read some heated threads here by some who say dont get hair transplant's at a young age. I have to agree. Even in you're 30's it should be well thought out. You will continue to lose hair. It seems like everyone is shaving their heads these days. At times I wish I did.

The stress gets so intense with hairloss at any age I suppose. It did for me. All I can say is read, ask questions, visist Dr.s and meet some of their clients in person so you can see their results in person. Once you cross that line of a hair transplant there is no going back. But again I've seen some incredible results with hair transplant's. But make sure you're a good candidate for the procedure.

sal1

Reaction score
bubka said:
why did you not, or still not, get on finasteride?

I did take it from the very start. It was one of the first things I did. I took it for several years. Before and after hair transplant surgery.