SadMom's Story

SadMom

Established Member
Reaction score
Well.. I never had a head of thick hair. In my family, thin and fine are more common. But it was normal. I've had some symptoms of horomone irregularity over the years. But nothing I took too seriously or that was a real problem.

After I had baby #6, my hair started shedding really badly. It finally stopped about 6-7 mo after. And I thought I was seeing regrowth and a rebuilding of density, although it hadn't returned to normal, it was getting livable. Then, this past spring, it went crazy shedding worse than ever. It went on like that until August, when it finally slowed down, but still not to normal levels.

I was hopeful then, that between my thyroid being regulated, and whatever else, that maybe this would be ok. But because I have been so thin all over, I couldn't decide which type of hairloss I had. I finally had a scalp biopsy in August, which confirmed Androgenetic Alopecia. I still don't understand why I'm thin everywhere. My stylist says I'm no thinner on top that anywhere else really, it's just more obvious.

But this past week, the shedding is beginning to slowly increase again. Today was the biggest shed day in months! And I'm so depressed.

I am being treated for PCOS but I refuse Rogaine, or spironolactone, other other non pregnancy and breastfeeding friendly treatments. I'm taking Metformin, several herbs, and progesterone cream to try and lower my insulin levels and balance my male/female horomones as I believe that's the route cause of my problem. My labs look fine, although my ferritin levels haven't been checked, and I'm going to have that done in a couple of weeks when my thyroid needs rechecking. That's the only thing I haven't investigated.

I'm feeling really hopeless today. I've been seeing lots of little hairs coming in..... when I look in the mirror or the sunlight shines on it I can see lots of hairs of all different lengths growing. But....... not enough to replace the thousands and thousands I lost. And, now it seems it is preparing to go like crazy again.

I'm humiliated. I can't imagine a good reason to lose hair. But if it were a *medical* condition, you might get some sympathy. No one will feel sorry for me because I'm fat, have facial hair, and am balding. That's just a freak of nature to people. I worry what my husband and children think.

I try and remind myself it isn't fatal! I can do anything I want without a full head of hair. But facing the mirror everyday that's easier said than done.

teester

Reaction score
Hi Sad Mom,
I feel and have the same thoughts you do. We are not alone. It has given me some relief to know that.

G

Hi SadMom,

Thanks for sharing your story. We all know the feelings of despair and hopelessness, and everybody is here to help. Even though it is a confusing and difficult journey to hair regrowth, getting on the internet and trying to find information or support is part of the process in figuring out a good plan of action for your treatment. I hope your ferritin test goes well, let us know!

Laura