Rye&Ginger Story (pics soon)

Rye and Ginger

Reaction score
First post, longtime browser like most.
Pictures will be added within the next few days (looking for somewhere to store them)

---Basic Info---
-22 Year old male, started noticing loss at 21. At first, attributed to stress.
-Ignored for months. Upon turning 22, really began to realize I had a problem.
-Discoverd this site, and it has helped me cope. Went through a bit of a depression phase around christmas when hair loss evident (vain, I know...).

----Where I stand---
-Norwood scales are useless to me, therefore i will just describe it.
-Starting to receede at temples, generally thinning at front
-Overall have diffuse thinning, scalp visible if not styled well/volumized.
-At crown, hair is concerningly thin. Need a bit of TOPPIK to hide the
-Anyone looking at crown would notice that it was becoming fairly thin.
-NO slick spots yet. Overall, I am a DIFFUSE thinner, with some loss and thinning at the front.

---Other Notes on the Hair (individual hairs)
-Individual hairs noticibly thinner.. Grown my hair much longer than normal (it looks better with my type of diffuse thinning... at this early stage anyway)
-You can actually see a gradient of thickness along the longer hairs (I figure show a 4.5 month timeline) suggesting that the hair is thinning?
-The hairs are much darker at end, lighter and thinner from midpoint-bulb.
-I realise this MAY be seasonal differences, but it is fairly consistent on all the hairs and thickness/color differences is fairly significant
-QUESTION: Anyone feel this time period is too short to see a significant thinning of individual hairs due to male pattern baldness? ie, is this some other factor?

----The regimen:
finasteride:
-Started proscar (1/4 daily) 2 months ago. Costs me 4$/month with plan :)
-Overall, have a slightly decreased libido. It genereally doesnt affect performance/erections. Just decreases my drive and I get erections less frequently (goodbye morning wood).
-Actually noticed and increase in ejaculation volume over the first 1.5 months (significantly more... quite the opposite of the alleged decreased volume reported on finasteride. I can not explain this). This has settled and back to normal.
A brief minoxidil fuckup
-During the initial drive to do something, i also started minoxidil with my finasteride.
-Used for 2 weeks, then decided I should back off and just try finasteride.
-Brief use, no shed, completely off now.
Results
-Obviously none, its been 2 months.
-Seem to be losing more hairs/day now.. not counting, just obviously more coming out when i run my hands through my hair (very gently).

Cosmetics
-Anticipating shed when i started finasteride, so I purchased Dermmatch and toppik.
-Toppik fibres conceal my diffuse thinning perfectly... I still have enough hair that I don't need that much help yet. Mostly just need help with crown.
-I sprinkle toppik on, shake hair a bit to help it settle.. I usually put a little of my wax on trouble spots just before applying to help it stick
-Haven't even tried dermmatch yet.. Not severe enough/happy with toppik

Cheers. This forum / website is excellent. Miles ahead all other hairloss sites in the abyss of the web.
Kudos to those of you who post, and actually care. Your selflessness on these forums is admirable.

Rye and Ginger

Reaction score
Questions

Questions
1. I am not using Nizoral. I have had difficulty filtering through all the messages on here regarding nizoral. Is it JUST to relieve itiching symptoms? If ithcing not an issue for me, can I just stick with good volumizing shampoo
2. hairs falling out all seem to have the white bulb at the end... This has been discussed elsewhere on the forum, but everyone seemed sketchy about it. Anyone have any comments?
3. I have far to many hairs falling out... Seems to me that the male pattern baldness process of miniaturization in my case is more of a fall-out-and-never-come-back problem.. These hairs that are falling out, are the majority of them a lost cause? Or should DHT clearance allow these falling hairs to regrow (and thicker) .. I mention this hair falling out because it is greatly exceeding the 'normal' no male pattern baldness loss, and the hair shafts are very then at the base.
4. I'm noticing quite a few more hairs falling out lately. This is still early (2 mos on finasteride).. Too early for shed?
5. I understand that it takes up to a year to see results from finasteride useage... but I understand this is because it takes several cycles for the follicles to recover and reverse miniaturization. My question is how long does it take to clear the DHT? ie, shouldnt the progression of the loss stop once finasteride is started and any hair loss following this is simply due to the existing DHT buildup? (im sure im very confused/wrong about this)
6. Will my mother still love me when im bald.[/b]

maintainence1

Established Member
Reaction score
Definately get on Nizoral right away. It clears excess sebum on your scalp and prevents the synthesis of DHT on the scalp as well.