Rogaine Lifespan

Sir Guy of Frizzbourne

Established Member
Reaction score
I've heard a lot in the past that Rogaine/minoxidil can stop working after a period of time. Is it realistic to hope that it will continue to work for me into old age, or does it pretty much stop working for everyone within a few years?

beaner

Reaction score
There is no evidence that minoxidil ever stops working. It continues to do it's job as long as you use it, however, male pattern baldness may become more aggressive to the point where minoxidil can no longer "keep up". That is why drugs like finasteride are recommended because they actually go to work at the "root' of the problem so to speak...that is they reduce DHT in the scalp allowing hair to become healthier. minoxidil/finasteride combination is the best for maintenance with regrowth. I see you started finasteride this year, so you may be seeing some really good results soon.

Sean68

Reaction score
great name sir guy. almost as imaginative as mine! :hairy:

Snoogans

Reaction score
if you read the studies of rogaine on hairlosstalk.com youll see that the

roagine initailly bossts hair thickness and quantity and begins to fall again at

the same rate as natural male pattern baldness would, except you have a new start with much

thinker hair....prolly gives you a good 5 or 6 years more of hair

bababa

Established Member
Reaction score
I have read that it will give you an initial burst for about 3 years, then drop quickly after that to base level and continue dropping fast after that.

In combination with finasteride, it will last many many more years... I don't think there have been any comprehensive studies into how long it will take for you to get back to base level (when you started), but on a combination it is suggested that it could be twice that of finasteride on its own (and finasteride can last around 12 years till you get back to base), so maybe around 20 years? maybe more