rogaine frontal thinning questions.

justin

Established Member
Reaction score
so a little over a year ago i noticed that the hair on the corners of my temples had stopped growing at any noticeable rate. my forelock area (i'm probably about a norwood 2ish) had thinned out ever so slightly, but not to noticeable to anyone but myself. about a month ago, i came back from a really stressful trip and noticed the the hairs going in toward the middle of my forelock area had shrunk and thinned out. still not really that noticeable to others. it seemed a little dramatic to me, though, seeing as how i just kind of expected a slow recession. so i started using rogaine foam as a precautionary method, hoping to stop or slow it down. i've also been doing some scalp excersizes that i read about on another site. it's been about a month now, and i knew to expect some shedding. i had never actually noticed any shedding before using rogaine, and i definitely am now. but more extreme than the shedding (which is mostly tiny looking hairs and not long hairs), is the appearance of my hair. i'd be lying if i said i wasn't distressed, but i'm sucking it up and sticking with it. i did kind of freak out one day and ordered generic propecia from a site that i'm not totally sure about. hasn't arrived yet. the way my hair is thinning now seems sort of bizarre. i still have my hairline, and complete coverage, but the shrinking (miniaturized?) hairs have spread further towards the middle of my forelock, especially on the right side. and the whole area i've focused on is much thinner. it's still possible to cover up, but much more difficult. now, it's difficult for me to be totally sure that this is just the rogaine shedding i've heard about and not just the natural progression i would have experienced. it seems absurd that it would be happening so quickly and so strangely all of a sudden. but then again, i sort of set myself up to not except such significant results, seeing as how i've read so much about the frontal area being tricky. it's a tough call, because maybe it's still not that big a change relatively, but it certainly seems like it to me. sucks, because i'm supposed to see an old girlfriend in a couple of days and i'm really in no good shape to do that at this point. luckily, it's winter so i've just been wearing a hat all the time.

anyways, i guess my questions are as follows:

1. does this progression seem normal or sound familiar to anyone else that's been using minoxidil as a treatment?

2. i'm really ok with a slightly receded hairline, in fact i've grown to embrace it and actually enjoy it quite a bit. i'm completely ok with a class 2 and even a progression to class 3 would be alright with me. what i'm absolutely not ok with is a thinning or non-existent forelock or the vertex/crown thinning. i began the rogaine regimen as a precaution to prevent these things from happening or at least slow them down. does this seem like a reasonable course of actions/goals? in other words, are my chances a bit better to maintain my forelock than to fill my temporal hairline in?

3. was starting with rogaine a bad idea? should i have just went straight to taking propecia? rogaine was an easier buy, so i kind of just more or less blindly went with it to see how it would go and kind of keep things in check before eventually going with propecia. i'd rather pop a pill than go through the application motions.

G

frontal shedding as welll as shedding elsewhere sometimes happens on rogaine. the hair will likely grow back and maybe grow back thicker.

i would stop the minoxidil and just start taking the propecia in consultation with a doctor.

lain

Established Member
Reaction score
justin said:
1. does this progression seem normal or sound familiar to anyone else that's been using minoxidil as a treatment?

On my 6th week of minoxidil use and my experience is very similar. My hairline, esp on the left hand side has thinned, I can see new hairs growing in areas that were bold before so its a good sign, though I would need a lot more new hairs in the bold areas to consider it an improvement.

Im going to stick it out and hope that things improve.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
lain said:
My hairline, esp on the left hand side has thinned, I can see new hairs growing in areas that were bold before so its a good sign, though I would need a lot more new hairs in the bold areas to consider it an improvement.

It's good to have areas that are bold. Your scalp needs to be strong and self-assertive.

Bryan

justin

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks for the advice, jayman. i think i just may heed it. i'll be honest, though, i've been one of those side-effects dwellers. i've got enough of an open mind about it for the most part.. it seems easy, and i'm not overly worried about most of the potential sides (especially assuming they'd go away if i decided to stop). the one thing that does worry me, though. i'm a skinny guy, but i have somewhat of a flabby chest which i atribute to possibly being a mildish case of gyne. it's been kind of a significant source of stress for me, despite being able to get by without anyone noticing or thinking it's a big deal. i would still say that it's the other being insecurity i have, aside from the potential of hairloss. having said that, i would very much not like to provoke any problem i do have in that area in such a way as to worsen it permanently (i imagine that this would be a more difficult side effect to lose after dropping the medication). it's not too noticeable now, i'd like to keep it that way. although, i guess a worse problem would be a better excuse for a surgery. heh. is it a bad idea to split the normal dosage to start off with? probably makes more sense just to cut it down, if you start to notice sides, eh?
also, i guess i just worried that i'd jumped into minoxidil too quickly.. i keep reading these threads mentioning "minoxidil dependant hairs," and what-not. kind of made me paranoid that the shedding i was experiencing with minoxidil now was setting myself back. i would have been ok with maintenance BEFORE i started treatment. when i began minoxidil, i was thinking "preventitive." but now.. i just wouldn't want to hop over to propecia and have this be my starting point (even if it still isn't that bad yet). i just hope i didn't screw myself.

lain.. yeah, sounds very similar. down to the timeline even. except more on the right side for me! perhaps we should keep eachother posted.

reading through many of these threads has got me thinking maybe it couldn't hurt to through some nizoral into my regimen. better diet probably couldn't hurt much either..

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
justin said:
i would have been ok with maintenance BEFORE i started treatment. when i began minoxidil, i was thinking "preventitive."

You shouldn't think of minoxidil as a "preventative" or "maintenance" treatment, except in a very superficial sense. The best available scientific evidence suggests that all minoxidil does is stimulate a little extra growth, without actually interfering with the fundamental balding process. Balding continues at about the same rate, it's just that you have a bit more hair at any given point in time than you would otherwise have had.

If you want to have a treatment that actually DOES interfere with the fundamental balding process, then you should include one of the antiandrogenic types of treatments like finasteride, dutasteride, or spironolactone.

Bryan

justin

Established Member
Reaction score
but if i start propecia now.. does "maintenance" now mean what i have as a result of rogaine? did i screw myself by starting off with minoxidil?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
justin said:
but if i start propecia now.. does "maintenance" now mean what i have as a result of rogaine? did i screw myself by starting off with minoxidil?

Keep in mind that what I'm about to say isn't referring to your specific case as you described in detail above, I'm just speaking in general terms: yes, I would expect that if one would start using Propeica, one could reasonably expect it to retain any extra growth achieved with minoxidil (to the extent that finasteride retains any hair in the first place...at the very least, it should slow-down further loss).

Bryan

justin

Established Member
Reaction score
well, what i'm really trying to say is: if i cut the minoxidil when i start on propecia, will i at least go back to where i was before i started on the minoxidil? i wasn't that bad when i started using rogaine, i'm just worried that this increase in loss is indicative of setting myself back a bit (or forward, as the case my be with hair loss). in other words, i didn't really need much or any regrowth before i started.. NOW i'm patiently waiting to get back to where i was BEFORE starting treatment (maybe a little thicker!?), and keep myself there or slow it down so i'm not really thinning until i'm in my 30's or 40's.

this gyno side thing has really got me in a tizzy, as well. out of all the potential side effects, it has to include one that affects my other insecurity. my out-of-shape chest. heh. go figure.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I almost never talk about so-called "shedding" issues, but just give it some more time and see what happens.

Bryan

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Basically, because I just don't know what the hell it is that people mean when they talk about "shedding".

Bryan