Rogaine Foam question

BrianPeppers

Reaction score
do the makers of rogaine put any chemicals or anything in rogaine so your hair becomes dependent on it? that way your hooked for life. kind of like cigerette companys and nicotine. it would make sense.

i heard a few people say their hair got worst after stopping rogaine. most people will say it would of fallen out anyways, but would it? or does rogaine want you to keep buying their product?

what do you guys think?
i just turned 20 last week, and im afraid to use it because i dont want to go bald if i ever decide to stop using it. my hair isnt too bad right now.

or am i just talking crazy? (i ordered some fincar BTW, and for some reason im more worried about taking rogaine than anything else)

G

BrianPeppers said:
i heard a few people say their hair got worst after stopping rogaine. most people will say it would of fallen out anyways, but would it? or does rogaine want you to keep buying their product?

yes and yes to your two questions. rogaine is not a cure, it's a treatment, same as propecia or avodart. if you stop those two drugs, you revert back to where you would have been without them in the course of a few months. it's the same thing with rogaine.

the cigarette analogy is a terrible one because a) rogaine is not addictive, and b) rogaine actually gives you a tangible benefit(ie MORE HAIR) while cigarettes just give you cancer and other bad things.

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
JayMan said:
BrianPeppers said:
the cigarette analogy is a terrible one because a) rogaine is not addictive, an rogaine actually gives you a tangible benefit(ie MORE HAIR) while cigarettes just give you cancer and other bad thind b)gs.

but they do make you look REALLY cool :hairy:

ceee

Established Member
Reaction score
libertine said:
JayMan said:
BrianPeppers said:
the cigarette analogy is a terrible one because a) rogaine is not addictive, an rogaine actually gives you a tangible benefit(ie MORE HAIR) while cigarettes just give you cancer and other bad thind b)gs.

but they do make you look REALLY cool :hairy:

are you saying that walking around with a rogaine bottle doesn't look cool?

haunted-ballroom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
BrianPeppers said:

yes and yes to your two questions. rogaine is not a cure, it's a treatment, same as propecia or avodart. if you stop those two drugs, you revert back to where you would have been without them in the course of a few months. it's the same thing with rogaine.

the cigarette analogy is a terrible one because a) rogaine is not addictive, and b) rogaine actually gives you a tangible benefit(ie MORE HAIR) while cigarettes just give you cancer and other bad things.

Oh, you end up back where you "would have been"? I thought you would just end up back where you were before you started...

BrianPeppers

Reaction score
what i meant was if rogaine deliberately makes it so you lose hair afterwards, even hair that rogaine had no effect on. and end up doing more harm then would otherwise.

I dont know why i asked this question to tell you the truth. No one will know the answer.
i was only comparing cigarette thing to describe how you could be "hooked" into buying it forever

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
This may help explain the phenomenon:

graph.jpg

H2O

Established Member
Reaction score
hairwegoagain said:
This may help explain the phenomenon...Stump Mycock Study...

:lol: Brilliant

G

Fantastic work hairwegoagain. But WoW is on dutasteride so he won't be going bald any time soon.

G

BrianPeppers said:
what i meant was if rogaine deliberately makes it so you lose hair afterwards, even hair that rogaine had no effect on. and end up doing more harm then would otherwise.

I dont know why i asked this question to tell you the truth. No one will know the answer.
i was only comparing cigarette thing to describe how you could be "hooked" into buying it forever

No they don't do that. That's ridiculous. I explain why below.

haunted-ballroom said:
JayMan said:
BrianPeppers said:

Oh, you end up back where you "would have been"? I thought you would just end up back where you were before you started...

You end up back where you would have been. Say you start Propecia at 22, and you would have been a Norwood 5 at 35 without it, but because you're on it, you're only a Norwood 3. Within a year, you will be sporting your Norwood 5. Some people say that's unfair and Propecia is bullshit because you have to keep using it to get the benefit. Here's what I say to those people: What drug can you think of where it keeps benefiting you after you stop using it? Are people who use Lipitor to keep cholesterol low going to continue to have their cholesterol lowered upon discontinuation? Of course not.

These drugs are the only reason most of us aren't going bald. They are not CURES. They are TREATMENTS. If you want something more permanent that you don't have to do sh*t to maintain, look into a HAIR TRANSPLANT. But guess what? You'll still want to be on Propecia at least after your hair transplant, for two reasons: 1) to maintain the hair that wasn't transplanted 2) to maintain the transplanted hairs. some people say there is no need to do this but hair on the sides and back is not completely resistant to dht. maybe only 70%. but if you're on propecia or avodart than you can keep those sides and back nice and thick into old age, and since your transplanted hairs came from the sides and back, they will stay nice and thick as well.

Now I haven't addressed minoxidil. If you're on Propecia for 5 years say, and add minoxidil, and it gives you say 1000 hairs, and you stop it, you only lose the hairs it regrew for you. You don't lose anything else. And if minoxidil did nothing for you then you won't lose anything from stopping it. minoxidil won't make you worse off than you were before you started it. It provides an offset of regrowth as Bryan likes to call it. But Propecia keeps you ahead of the baldness curve for as long as you take it, and the difference between Propecia and placebo(taking nothing) grows every year that you keep taking the drug. Once you stop it, bam, you're back to where you would have been at that age had you never taken it.

H2O

Established Member
Reaction score
JayMan said:

OK Jayman if they're still confused you'll have no choice but to bust out the "Fish and Pond" metaphor... :p (anyone got a light ?)

G

H2O said:
JayMan said:

OK Jayman if they're still confused you'll have no choice but to bust out the "Fish and Pond" metaphor... :p

Fish and Pond metaphor:

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... ish#256209

And here's one you haven't seen that isn't as humorous but is still beneficial, H20. Can you tell that I was a GI Joe fan?

Soldier metaphor:

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... ers#284080

H2O

Established Member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
And here's one you haven't seen that isn't as humorous but is still beneficial, H20. Can you tell that I was a GI Joe fan?

Absoultely :lol:

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
JayMan said:
Fantastic work hairwegoagain. But WoW is on dutasteride so he won't be going bald any time soon.

The street names and associated illustrations are for comedic effect only...although for WoW, I thought the illustration was particularly fitting.

My Best,

Hairwegoagain

G

the only thing that could have made it better would have been having someone else located where CCS is now, and then put CCS in front of the screwdriver posing, so it looks like the screwdriver is going up there hahah