Rogaine and hairlines

canikeepit

Reaction score
I've heard some of the people on this site claim that rogaine/midox works well for the hairline, but then I go to their website and they say it's only for the top of the head.

generally speaking, does it do anything upfront; how has it worked for you guys.

Berserk

Reaction score
I have been able to grow quite a bit back with rogaine. I have been on it for 2 years and it is still going strong.

NilesTilden

Established Member
Reaction score
I posted a study which found minoxidil was successful on 33% of hairlines. It's in a thread "newbie with burning questions" of a day or 2 ago.

As for this hombre, minoxidil is the ONLY thing that's worked on my hairline. I was on 'pecia for 3 years with continued thinning/recession in front. Giving minoxidil another shot was my last hope (I'd tried it 6-7 years ago but got too many flakes/itch and my hair got worse due to scratching).

Luckily it's done dang well for me in the last 15 months. My hairline/front is better than it's been in 5 years, maybe more.

And say, do yourself a favor and get Dr.Lee's minoxidil (minoxidil.com). If not for his stuff, I wouldn't be able to do minoxidil. Too much itch and flakes for this man to take!

Lee's dries fast as heck and gives me way less flakage. If you can handle rogaine/generic minoxidil, Lee's is still good for morning use since it dries so fast. Sure, it costs more, and US citizens have to pay for the $20 consult before ordering, but it's well-the-hell worth it!

NilesTilden

Established Member
Reaction score
Oh, so far as why rogaine/generic minoxidil don't make claims about being able to grow in front, that's due to the fact that they only tested minoxidil results on the vertex during FDA trials. They can only say it works there, but it can work all over yo head, foo!

The study I mentioned is posted below. Sorry I don't have a link to it. It was originally posted on another hair loss forum over a year ago.

"Increased Frontal Scalp Coverage and Frontal Hair Regrowth with 5% and 2% Minoxidil Topical Solution"
Elise A Olsen, M.D.; Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC; David A. Whiting, M.D.; University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX; Jeffrey J. Miller, M.D.; Penn State College of Medicine, Hershey, PA

Frontal and vertex areas of the scalp in men with androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia) were assessed and treated in the pivotal clinical studies with 5% and 2% minoxidil topical solution. The efficacy and safety of 5% and 2% minoxidil topical solution have been demonstrated in target areas on the leading edge of vertex balding in a 48-week, randomized, placebo-controlled study of men with vertex pattern 3, 4, 5, or 6 hair loss based on the Savin Male Pattern
and Density Scale (Olsen et al, 2002, in press).

Patients were instructed to apply 5% or 2% minoxidil topical solution or placebo to the frontal/parietal areas of the scalp twice daily.
In order to assess the effect of 5% and 2% minoxidil on change in frontal/parietal scalp hair coverage, an independent panel of 3 blinded experts retrospectively reviewed photographs of the frontal scalp from patients who participated in this study.

Photographs from 139 patients in the 5% minoxidil topical solution group, 142 patients in the 2% group, and 71 patients in the placebo group were reviewed and scored to determine changes in scalp coverage and central hair part width.
The photographs consisted of standardized, reproducible, digitized views of Polaroid photographs taken of the superior frontal/parietal scalp at baseline and at weeks 16 and 48. Change from baseline in scalp coverage was measured on a 7-point categorical scale. The
median of the Global Panel Review scores from the 3 independent reviewers was reported.

Scores for patients in both the 5% and 2% minoxidil topical solution treatment arms at weeks 16 and 48 indicated significantly greater frontal scalp coverage compared to placebo (p<.001).

Frontal scalp coverage for 33% of patients in the 5% group, 15% in the 2% group, and 6% in the placebo group at week 16 was rated as moderately or greatly increased. At weeks 16
and 48, frontal scalp coverage rating scores were significantly higher for patients in the 5% minoxidil topical solution group compared with the 2% minoxidil topical solution and placebo groups (p<.001).

The findings of this retrospective analysis provide useful information for clinicians who monitor and treat patients with Androgenetic Alopecia.

The Gardener

Reaction score
The literature that comes with Minoxidil says that it is only effective on the crown of the head because that is the area of the scalp that they applied it on in their FDA trials.

Anecdotally, minoxidil works best on the crown and not as effectively on the front. I think they knew this going into the trials, and thus only used crown baldness treatment in the trials so that their overall 'success' statistics would be higher for marketing purposes. Fact of the matter is that the sh*t works on the front too. It is working for me, I've nipped a good half inch or so off the tops of my balding temples... kind of 'rounded out' what used to be very sharp angles up there, and has given my hairline a more even look. I'm a f*****g very happy man.