Rogaine and Hair Transplants

hair23

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'd sincerely appreciate it if someone could help me with these questions.

Which doctors require that you stop Rogaine before having the hair transplant?

How much time before the hair transplant will you have to stop using it?

Can you start to use Rogaine immediately after the hair transplant, or do you have to wait?

What is the reason for having to stop its use?

Most importantly, how much of a hit will your hair take for stopping Rogaine use--in other words, how long does one have to stop Rogaine use before the inevitable shed takes place?

hair23

Reaction score
Anyone? I want to know if I should give the foam a shot before finally resorting to an hair transplant for the hairline. But my time is limited, so I want to know what you guys think for the previous questions I've posted. Thanks so much fellas!

G

hair23,

Doctors will vary on their opinions regarding when to stop minoxidil prior to a hair transplant, and when it is considered safe to resume it post-op. My advice, ask your doctor who is treating you.

Generally speaking, stopping the minoxidil for two weeks prior to surgery is what is usually recommended, some say seven days, some say ten, etc. Most will not want you to resume it for a minimum of two weeks after surgery. They want complete healing of the epidermis to take place.

You do not want any of the inactive ingredients to saturate your new wounds as well.

Also, it generally takes up to 60 days or so for the effects to begin to reverse or lose efficiency.

hair23

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the info gillenator.

If a hair shed due to minoxidil cessation takes UP to 60 days, do you know on average when this happens?

Will you even have a shed if you were only on it for 4 months to begin with (since this is not even enough time for new hair to come out)?

G

hair23 said:
Thanks a lot for the info gillenator.

If a hair shed due to minoxidil cessation takes UP to 60 days, do you know on average when this happens?

impossible to reply :(
in very rare case (obviosuly if the minoxidil worked on you) u can stop minoxidil for many weeks and nothing is happening, but the most times you will see your hairs shed, after 2-3 months since the cessation

hair23 said:
Will you even have a shed if you were only on it for 4 months to begin with (since this is not even enough time for new hair to come out)?

if you mean the transplanted hairs, they will not shed in every case, even if u stop to apply the minoxidil
if you mean your existing hairs, nobody can reply with certainty