Rogaine after several years.

person

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Does rogaine become ineffective after a certain amount of years? Please can somebody give em a detailed analysis of what a long term rogaine user would expect. Also are there any users out there who have been using rogaine for a long time? I have so many questions; like if you were to use rogaine on your hairline for five years and then started to develop a bald spot.. would the rogaine work there as well ... or because your body got used to it .. it would no longer work even in a new area?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm unaware of any evidence that minoxidil becomes ineffective after a certain number of years. I think the best available evidence suggests that it continues to provide an offset of extra growth for as long as you use it, without actually interfering with the fundamental balding process. So the bottom-line is that you continue to slowly bald while using Rogaine, but you do have a little more hair each step of the way than you would have otherwise had without it.

mehtaesq1

Reaction score
I've read reports that it diminishes over time, however that has not been my experience. I have gone through sheds in the past that got me concerned, but the hair would grow back and at different times, it would look better than it has since my late 20s. There was a period last summer that I was actually getting compliments on my hair for a while until another shed hit in the early fall and then looked better early winter. Now, i'm going through a bad shed from having switched to foam-hoping that it's just a shed from the switch.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
mehtaesq1 said:
I've read reports that it diminishes over time, however that has not been my experience.

Ask yourself the following question: if it DID appear to diminish over time, what would be your explanation for that? There are at least a couple of possibilities:

1) You are developing a "tolerance" of some sort to the drug, so it's having less and less of a beneficial effect.

2) The drug is having exactly the same effect over time, it's just that your own balding is getting worse and worse, overtaking the beneficial effect of the minoxidil.

How would you determine which is the correct explanation?

Finish line

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been on it for over 3 years now and it gets better. SLOWLY, but it gets better.

It's like watching a tortoise grow.

jay2K6

Established Member
Reaction score
minoxidil is a very old drug there should be more feedbacks from veterans... people who have taken this stuff for over a decade