Restoration Robotics creates hair transplanting robot

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Nice find! Lets hope that it comes out fast and that it will reduce the cost of hair transplants!!

khali

Established Member
Reaction score
There is lot of benefits in this technology. Intercytex will also use it when their hair multiplication innovation becomes open for the public. By using this robot hair transplants will reduce in cost and increase in quality. I don't know why this technology is held back. I guess they are still making billions by allowing doctors to perform transplants manually. However, this robot technology will increase the hair transplant market by at least 3 times its current size.

khali

Established Member
Reaction score
Surgical robot gives hair transplants a natural look

A robot that can pluck and move individual hair follicles on a person's head makes hair transplants look more natural than those performed by humans, a US company claims.

The robot can also perform the procedure twice as fast as human clinicians, with less pain and scarring for the patient, says Restoration Robotics of Mountain View, California.

Standard hair transplants typically take 8 to 10 hours. A strip of healthy, hairy scalp 1 centimetre wide and 15 cm long is removed from the back of the head under local anaesthetic.

After the gap is sewn up, medical staff then manually separate the strip into 2000 individual hair follicle "bulbs". These are painstakingly implanted in 1-millimetre wide incisions across bald parts of the head.
http://technology.newscientist.com/chan ... news_rss20

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Im sorry I just can't believe a robot will ever replace a human in this field? It requires artisitic capability and every patient is different. A robot can't think or reason and never will. It just has preset programs.

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Well yeah if its a robotic arm whos actually movement is controlled by the surgeon. Then maybe :dunno:

jakeb

Established Member
Reaction score
I think the idea is that the surgeon can plot the hair insertion points on the computer, the let the robot do the painstaking, microscopic, fatigue inducing, actual transplanting of the hair. That way, the surgeon can play around with the hair placement and when it's all satisfactory, let the robot do the dirty work -- it will be more accurate than any human could ever be, and it never gets tired.

That said, I don't know how I feel about a robot whizzing around my head with a scalpel. It sounds like a horror movie waiting to happen.

metalheaddude

Reaction score
jakeb said:
That said, I don't know how I feel about a robot whizzing around my head with a scalpel. It sounds like a horror movie waiting to happen.

Lol! So true.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Transplanting hair is a long repetitive process where computers excel. A person can advise where the hairline should start and other specifics and then just hand the computer the data it needs to know where the boundaries are and the robot does the rest. I dont see why it cant be done other then cost