Replicel

Sparky4444

Reaction score
I've been following Replicel....Some of their early results didn't look very promising...I am not sure...This has been in the works for a long time...It will NOT be a cure...

LuckySlevin

Reaction score
I've been following Replicel....Some of their early results didn't look very promising...I am not sure...This has been in the works for a long time...It will NOT be a cure...

Lets debate. i want to know why you dont think it will be a cure? also what do u mean it didnt look promising? The most important question do you think it will increase my donor if then i decide to get the transplant? because that is what is important to have a vast donor part so that wwhen you get the transplant it looks excellent.

It has been in the works for a long time but they are going to start their phase 2 now and they have been partned with shiseido, cosmetic giant, also partnering with one of the largest hospitals in Europe

"
The RepliCel team is also pleased to be partnering with one of the largest hospitals in Europe, the Charité-Universitätsmedizin in Berlin, as the primary clinical site for this trial. The Company anticipates initiation of its phase II study in the second half of 2013."

Plus their 2013 AGM presentation looked very promising.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B70WtOkc3lY

Sparky4444

Reaction score

Lets debate. i want to know why you dont think it will be a cure? also what do u mean it didnt look promising? The most important question do you think it will increase my donor if then i decide to get the transplant? because that is what is important to have a vast donor part so that wwhen you get the transplant it looks excellent.

It has been in the works for a long time but they are going to start their phase 2 now and they have been partned with shiseido, cosmetic giant, also partnering with one of the largest hospitals in Europe

"
The RepliCel team is also pleased to be partnering with one of the largest hospitals in Europe, the Charité-Universitätsmedizin in Berlin, as the primary clinical site for this trial. The Company anticipates initiation of its phase II study in the second half of 2013."

Plus their 2013 AGM presentation looked very promising.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B70WtOkc3lY

I know you're desperate to believe in this, so was I...but after Phase Ia or b, they posted the numbers in density gained and it was sparse...of course, it wasn't dosed to the final mark, but the preliminary numbers weren't very promising...this won't be a cure, plain and simple..will it help?? I think it will be good but not for those to far gone...

at the end of the day, the future will be good for those just starting to thin...when we say 2015, that's what it will be...but for a cure, not for a long time until they figure out the stem cell approach

LuckySlevin

Reaction score
I know you're desperate to believe in this, so was I...but after Phase Ia or b, they posted the numbers in density gained and it was sparse...of course, it wasn't dosed to the final mark, but the preliminary numbers weren't very promising...this won't be a cure, plain and simple..will it help?? I think it will be good but not for those to far gone...

at the end of the day, the future will be good for those just starting to thin...when we say 2015, that's what it will be...but for a cure, not for a long time until they figure out the stem cell approach

I dont know man i do think it will be a semi cure, as in it will get you hair just not all of it buy after i at least get some of it i could transplant the rest from the back side to even things. i am still good for now not completely bald i would say a Norwood 2.5. but if you are looking into the stem cell approach what about follica, aderans, histogen??

Sparky4444

Reaction score
I dont know man i do think it will be a semi cure, as in it will get you hair just not all of it buy after i at least get some of it i could transplant the rest from the back side to even things. i am still good for now not completely bald i would say a Norwood 2.5. but if you are looking into the stem cell approach what about follica, aderans, histogen??

I you hit it on the head -- get as much as you can, or save as much as you can pre-hair transplant...but I think to get anything worthwhile and impactful, I firmly believe improvements in hair transplant will be where it's at....at least in trying to get back to normal, and not just some sparse, whisps all over the place

LuckySlevin

Reaction score
I you hit it on the head -- get as much as you can, or save as much as you can pre-hair transplant...but I think to get anything worthwhile and impactful, I firmly believe improvements in hair transplant will be where it's at....at least in trying to get back to normal, and not just some sparse, whisps all over the place

Hello,

Yes i do believe in hair transplants, i have had three uncles done hair transplants. 2 were good donors one was not but even the one that wasnt but because he streses. but even if he wasnt it is way better than what he looked the other two 2 one had 1 procedure looks good not like his teen years but good. he can have another one to cover up and look better but he is ok how he is and the last one had the full procedures he had 3 hair transplant went from NW4.5 -5 TO NW1 -1.5 with more density than me now. and they all did FUE HAIR TRANSLPANT so no scar. that is why i dont care for full cure just a guarantee that i will have vast donor hairs.

Also what age do you think its good to get the transplant ? Cause i am thinking in a couple of months i am 23 btw.

Sparky4444

Reaction score
Hello,

Yes i do believe in hair transplants, i have had three uncles done hair transplants. 2 were good donors one was not but even the one that wasnt but because he streses. but even if he wasnt it is way better than what he looked the other two 2 one had 1 procedure looks good not like his teen years but good. he can have another one to cover up and look better but he is ok how he is and the last one had the full procedures he had 3 hair transplant went from NW4.5 -5 TO NW1 -1.5 with more density than me now. and they all did FUE HAIR TRANSLPANT so no scar. that is why i dont care for full cure just a guarantee that i will have vast donor hairs.

Also what age do you think its good to get the transplant ? Cause i am thinking in a couple of months i am 23 btw.

I really can't say what age is good...The common wisdom is to let your hairloss progress to a point where you can follow a good plan moving forward...

I'm 43, and my loss has been a combination of slow recession and diffusion since about 35....In a way, I want my frontal area to go quickly so I can transplant the front...that is the plan -- transplant the front and hold on to the vertex and rear (or cope with the loss there) and wait for something to give some decent coverage there....I want good coverage with my front and top, can live with thinner on the vertex and back

I think you should really hold off until the end of the year...Dr. Wesley will be introducing a new FUE scarless technique and it appears to be a hair transplant game-changer...

LuckySlevin

Reaction score
I really can't say what age is good...The common wisdom is to let your hairloss progress to a point where you can follow a good plan moving forward...

I'm 43, and my loss has been a combination of slow recession and diffusion since about 35....In a way, I want my frontal area to go quickly so I can transplant the front...that is the plan -- transplant the front and hold on to the vertex and rear (or cope with the loss there) and wait for something to give some decent coverage there....I want good coverage with my front and top, can live with thinner on the vertex and back

I think you should really hold off until the end of the year...Dr. Wesley will be introducing a new FUE scarless technique and it appears to be a hair transplant game-changer...

Yea i saw a video about how there is a higher chance for more surviving hairs which looks promisisng. but i am really HOPINNGGG that within two years hair cloning becomes available. Jajajaja thanks for your insight.

Also this guy squeegee seems to be posting alot of research but never answers when asked to simplify can he just be posting random unconcrete studies

Baldie101

Established Member
Reaction score
Go with the way I do it...I'm norwood 5/6...and try the meds first. If they don't work, go with the hair transplant. If they do then use them until something grand appears which will work.

I think your uncles, all 3 of them, are also using drugs to keep the new hair they got. Probably not minoxidil but propercia, right? I thought you only got the hair transplant and didn't have to do drugs but recently I keep reading that even those with hair transplant are using the drugs to keep the new and old hair.

LuckySlevin

Reaction score
Go with the way I do it...I'm norwood 5/6...and try the meds first. If they don't work, go with the hair transplant. If they do then use them until something grand appears which will work.

I think your uncles, all 3 of them, are also using drugs to keep the new hair they got. Probably not minoxidil but propercia, right? I thought you only got the hair transplant and didn't have to do drugs but recently I keep reading that even those with hair transplant are using the drugs to keep the new and old hair.

I read that too and no they do not take the drug, cause they have done full scalp hair transplant. i am currently under minoxidil and vitamins i was using propecia but i got sides like decresed libido ball ache pain around nipple area and got scared so drop it people told me it regulates but i was not willing to risk it i dont want hair if it comes with man boobs and no penis. I would be a girl for that.

Anyway thanks for your thoughts also since you entered this thread any thought on a cure? Replicel, histogen, aderans, hair cloning stem cells?

persistentone

Established Member
Reaction score

Replicel's phase 1 results are here:

http://www.replicel.com/hair-regeneration/phase-i/

about 7 out of 16 patients had better than 10% improvement in hair density, so not remarkable, BUT:

1) It's not clear that they are anywhere near optimizing their dose and frequency of treatment. It may be that they focused on safety protocols at first and with safety proven may increase dosing and frequency and get proportionately better results.

2) The most exciting thing about the Replicel approach is they are replicating cells from the lower part of the head, which is androgen resistant. So it's likely whatever hair is regenerated by their approach will be more immune to the effects of DHT.

If they could get their treatment to give about a 20% density improvement made up of DHT resistant hair follicles, I think that would be quite a welcome treatment and really would give value add over other treatments.

The downside is their approach is very labor intensive since it requires them to custom grow cells taken from your body. It's likely to be quite expensive I would guess.

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
There is one huge problem with RepliCel's approach: They do not deal with the hardened fibrotic tissue. They do achieve regrowth, but the new follicles will die off in due time anyway, as they form in fibrotic tissue or in tissue that is in the process of fibrosis right now.

My guess: (micro)wounding and/or PGD-2 inhibitors would be necessary to not let that hair die off as well.

persistentone

Established Member
Reaction score
There is one huge problem with RepliCel's approach: They do not deal with the hardened fibrotic tissue. They do achieve regrowth, but the new follicles will die off in due time anyway, as they form in fibrotic tissue or in tissue that is in the process of fibrosis right now.

My guess: (micro)wounding and/or PGD-2 inhibitors would be necessary to not let that hair die off as well.

Is there good scientific evidence that fibrotic tissue prevents hair follicles from growing?

Sparky4444

Reaction score
sorry guys..Replicel just isn't going to amount to much...it just isn't..I get it, you're picking with your heart..but all the signs are showing that this thing just wont pack any kind of punch

persistentone

Established Member
Reaction score
sorry guys..Replicel just isn't going to amount to much...it just isn't..I get it, you're picking with your heart..but all the signs are showing that this thing just wont pack any kind of punch

But how can you say that when they haven't even done a dosing study yet?

It certainly doesn't look like any cure.

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Is there good scientific evidence that fibrotic tissue prevents hair follicles from growing?
The conclusion lies at hindsight. It has been 100% confirmed for alopecia areata. Given that Androgenetic Alopecia also induces fibrosis and that it has been shown that in Androgenetic Alopecia patients only the bald areas are completely fibrotic, I think it is safe to assume that it is fibrotic tissue causes follicles to stop hair production. Follicles reduced from biopsy have also been shown to contain hair that never managed to break through.