Replicel Is On Fire Lately — Data In Feb.

thomps1523

Established Member
Reaction score
if you understand the science behind replicel you know that what they are creating is in theory the cure to those who still have follicles; essentially they would provide DHT "immunity" to follicles so that your whole scalp behaves like the safe donor area. This is expected to be long lasting, though i wouldn't dismiss the possibility of it having to be done a few times or every few years. For those without follicles, it will require supplemental treatment (probably Tsuji) to resolve the problem.

Their goal is to restore a full head of hair, while that may not come to total fruition, they do hope to provide regrowth. Regardless total immunity for 10 years then a transplant to fill what follica/histogen can't bring back is good enough for me.

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Personally, I suspect that whether or not it can restore a full head of hair will depend on the person.

nameless

Banned
Reaction score
if you understand the science behind replicel you know that what they are creating is in theory the cure to those who still have follicles; essentially they would provide DHT "immunity" to follicles so that your whole scalp behaves like the safe donor area. This is expected to be long lasting, though i wouldn't dismiss the possibility of it having to be done a few times or every few years. For those without follicles, it will require supplemental treatment (probably Tsuji) to resolve the problem.

I think I do understand the science and I see 3 problems with Replicel:

1. Like DP cells, sheath cells may also not turn into hair unless they can find a way to protect hair producing qualities in the cells.

2. The follicle has to be in anagen in order for the injected cells to grow hair

3. Only some of the cells will land on the right place in the follicle. The rest of the cells will slip downward in-between follicles.

They should do follow-up injections a few months apart to see if that will induce more follicles to produce hairs. If they aren't trying to do that then they're fools.

Last edited:

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think I do understand the science and I see 3 problems with Replicel:

1. Like DP cells sheath cells may also not turn into hair unless they can find a way to protect hair producing qualities in the cells.

2. The follicle has to be in anagen in order for the injected cells to grow hair

3. Only some of the cells will land on the right place in the follicle. The rest of the cells will slip downward in-between follicles.

They should do follow-up injections a few months apart to see if that will induce more follicles to produce hairs. If they aren't trying to do that then they're fools.

1. I have no idea what you mean

2. I've not found any info that indicates that would be the case

3. There are millions of cells per dose and the final treatment will be many doses with the dermal injector so I'd say that's unlikely

And Shiseido's trials involve 3 different groups.

Single treatment, followup injections and placebo

GiveMeAccessToMyAccount

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I can't find a .gif that accurately demonstrates my reaction to this post.

This

21b398o.gif

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
So Lee Buckler has been doing a lot of interviews lately and you can email him directly about setting one up.

I'm not saying this site should do one

But this site should totally do one

Captain Rex

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So Lee Buckler has been doing a lot of interviews lately and you can email him directly about setting one up.

I'm not saying this site should do one

But this site should totally do one
@Swoop
we need an interview ASAP pls
the first question should be
1. Do they still believe in a fullhead cure through their treatment?
if yes then that's great
2. If no, then what is the maximum benefit we can expect from this treatment?
i mean we expect detail answers like -
1. increase in density.
2. crown regrowth
3. regrowth in mid portion
4. donor regeneration ( just a thought)
5. regrowth in completely slick bald areas
6. possibility in hairline formation
7. if not any of these then can they promise us maintenance at least?

just tell him to mark those points which his product can achieve according to the data they have now at present.

/* ignore this post if u don't find it necessary*/

nameless

Banned
Reaction score
1. I have no idea what you mean

2. I've not found any info that indicates that would be the case

3. There are millions of cells per dose and the final treatment will be many doses with the dermal injector so I'd say that's unlikely

And Shiseido's trials involve 3 different groups.

Single treatment, followup injections and placebo

1. I'm excited to hear that there will be a treatment arm getting follow-up injections. That sounds exciting.

2.Over at Hairsite, Rogerthat and I discussed the possibility that some of the injected cells would pass through the skin in between the follicles. It's just common sense that, that will happen because there IS space between follicles. Of course some cells will fall down in between the follicles. Of course some of the cells will also land on the follicles. But some of those that land on the follicles might not land on a spot (on the follicles) that will permit follicles to absorb them into follicular systems. Finally, I imagine that some of the cells *could* land on a good spot for absorption into the follicles.

3. I read somewhere that Replicel said that the hope is that many follicles should be in anagen at the time of injection.

4. I don't know if there will be a trichogenicity/inductivity problems when culturing sheath cells, but these problems exist with DP cells so this may also be an issue with sheath cells.

5. During the clinical trials I think Replicel should "mark" the injected cells so they can track them and do biopsies to see exactly where these injected cells go and what the cells do once they get to wherever they end up. Samumed did these types of biopsies but I don't know if Replicel has any intention to do so. I think if they did that then they could use that information to support claims of hair growth if there is regrowth.

Some of us feel suspicious about where the injected cells are going and whether or not the follicles will absorb these cells effectively into the follicle system. Keep in mind that follicles grow hair by moving cells along a specific path inside the follicle system. In the follicles the cells travel to specific spots by way of a very specific route.

If they won't mark the injected cells and track them to see where they go and what they do by way of biopsies then that looks kind of suspicious. It would make me think that perhaps Replicel has some concerns that if they track where the cells go and what the cells do (at their final destination) the results might be that the cells don't end up where they need to be. And of course that would be bad for sales.

Last edited:

nameless

Banned
Reaction score
@Swoop
if yes then that's great
1. increase in density.
2. crown regrowth

just tell him to mark those points which his product can achieve according to the data they have now at present.

If Replicel will do an interview then I would like to raise the following issue with them:

Will you please do a small study wherein you "mark" the injected cells and do post-injection scalp biopsies to see exactly where these injected cells go and what the cells do once they arrive wherever they go? Samumed did these types of biopsies and they acquired useful information. If you did this and the data is positive you could use that information to support regrowth claims if the larger study demonstrates hair growth.

Last edited:

thomps1523

Established Member
Reaction score
@Swoop
if yes then that's great
1. increase in density.
2. crown regrowth

If they have plans of releasing this data within the next month publicly, I have a hard time thinking they'll leak it in an interview. It's worth a shot, but I assume they want to release what they have, and if what you want to know isn't mentioned then they'll give you that info after by way of an interview.

baldingAF

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
New to this site, still balding AF on a day to day but wana say thanks to all the people, the information, deep net scouring, emailing and interviews and the small sliver of hope i take to bed every night.

Got on to ask about the temporary approval from Shiseido during phase 2 that i know @hellouser has advocated on a few threads as well as Japan's regulation dictates. So if, as i read in this thread and a few others, Shiseido has started phase 2 when does the temporary approval come through? Will it be announced or just understood? Will it happen in 2017? (I mean it should thats when Phase 2 is happening, right now right?) Should I plan ahead to get the cheapest tickets? Do we have to call and tell them we're coming? When's the soonest I can get my fix?

.....Somebody please shut me up.....

Last edited:

jc3303

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Best case scenario replicel will be available in Japan 2018/2019. They'll still need some sort of results from phase 2 before they can offer it to the public. Results from phase 2 won't be shown until early 2018

Xander94

My Regimen
Reaction score
How many injection trips will we have to take to Japan? I was thinking this is worth it since it will buy you 5 years of additional time and by then Tsuji will be fully operational.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry if I'm misinterpreting this, but how doesn't this demonstrate that it's not a disease and that you should just shave it off if it increases the risk of prostate cancer threefold? Excuse me if I'm being a blind idiot, because there is certainly that chance.

Increased risk of prostate cancer doesn't mean that baldness itself is a disease.

It means that balding men are a different population than non-balding men in multiple ways. For example, one possibility is that the sensitivity of the hair follicles is not an independent variable. The same genes that make you bald likely also act elsewhere in the body.

jnestor481

Reaction score
God damn. Can't imagine what it'll be like to not have to worry about this bull sh*t anymore. Started balding about 2.5 years ago.Can't imagine the frustration of the old timers who have been around the forums back when there was literally nothing on the horizon.

Let us hope all we need to do is hold the line for the next few years and then we'll finally have an escape from this hell.

Last edited:

cratusg

Established Member
Reaction score
God damn. Can't imagine what it'll be like to not have to worry about this bull sh*t anymore. Started balding about 2.5 years ago. Let us hope all we need to do is hold the line for the next few years and then we'll finally have an escape from this hell.

Couldn't agree more...

langthaar31

My Regimen
Reaction score
They mention that they think the hairfollicle needs to be in anagen phase during the injection for the treatment to work in the interview hellouser did in 2015, this is the reason you need time inbetween injections. Which means more hair restored the more injections.

Grasshüpfer

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Increased risk of prostate cancer doesn't mean that baldness itself is a disease.

It means that balding men are a different population than non-balding men in multiple ways. For example, one possibility is that the sensitivity of the hair follicles is not an independent variable. The same genes that make you bald likely also act elsewhere in the body.

There is in fact an error in hormone balacing or an error in ar expression that causes prostatae cancer as well as balding.
Balding and prostatae cancer correlate apparently strongly and have a in fact the same thearapy.
So controlling the hormones with finasteride might actually reduce the risk of prostatae cancer?

-edit- turns out its not that simple...
http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa030660#t=article
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2736846/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22289613

It seems quite a common theme to have amazing regrowth and bad sides at the same time. Or to be complete non responder. So maybe balding is really more about balancing out the hormones for our specific receptor expression.

Problem is even Dht is not one hormone, but actually four similar molecular compounds, so it's not trivial.

mr_robot

Experienced Member
Reaction score
There is in fact an error in hormone balacing or an error in ar expression that causes prostatae cancer as well as balding.
Balding and prostatae cancer correlate apparently strongly and have a in fact the same thearapy.
So controlling the hormones with finasteride might actually reduce the risk of prostatae cancer?

-edit- turns out its not that simple...
http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa030660#t=article
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2736846/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22289613

It seems quite a common theme to have amazing regrowth and bad sides at the same time. Or to be complete non responder. So maybe balding is really more about balancing out the hormones for our specific receptor expression.

Problem is even Dht is not one hormone, but actually four similar molecular compounds, so it's not trivial.

Hormones are n't the enemy, DHT is n't the enemy. 5ar produced in the hair follicle is the enemy, for some reason it becomes up regulated in balding follicles so your own hair is producing the thing that is killing it.