remodeling hair follicle structure/enviroment.

IDW2BB

Established Member
Reaction score
This is a big topic, but here is an abstract of some research towards that subject.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24558164

Mesenchymal stem cells with modification of junctional adhesion molecule a induce hair formation.

Wu M1, Guo X, Yang L, Wang Y, Tang Y, Yang Y, Liu H.

Author information

Abstract

The junctional adhesion molecule A (JAM-A) has been shown to serve a crucial role in the proliferation, differentiation, and tube-like formation of epithelial cells during angiogenesis. The role of JAM-A in hair follicle (HF) regeneration has not yet been reported. In this study, we used human JAM-A-modified human mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) to repair HF abnormalities in BALB/c nu/nu mice. The JAM-A gene and JAM-A short hairpin RNA were transfected into cultured human MSCs to generate the JAM-A overexpression MSCs (JAM-A(ov) MSCs) and JAM-A knockdown MSCs (JAM-A(kd) MSCs), respectively. These cells were injected intradermally into the skin of nude mice during the first telogen phase of the HF that occurs 21 days postnatally. We found that JAM-A(ov) MSCs migrated into the HF sheath and remodeled HF structure effectively. The HF abnormalities such as HF curve and HF zigzag were remodeled, and hair formation was improved 7 days following injection in both the JAM-A(ov) MSC and MSC groups, compared with the JAM-A(kd) MSC group or negative control group. Furthermore, the JAM-A(ov) MSC group showed enhanced hair formation in contrast to the MSC group, and the number of curved and zigzagged HFs was reduced by 80% (p < .05). These results indicated that JAM-A(ov) MSCs improved hair formation in nude mice through HF structure remodeling.

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
This actually looks quite promising - just another approach in regenerative medicine. Great find! :)

Big question is, again, how long it would take to get this thing - if it even proved a viable treatment - to practical solution level.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
5 to 50 years.

Wrong.

10-35 years. I'm sure George Cotsarelis would agree... well, he wouldn't tell you that, but he'd be thinking something else.

Chromeo

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Hellouser, you're probably right.

Jesus I was only joking. Get a sense of humour guys. I know we're all suffering but lighten the hell up, will ya?

Hopefully this leads to a real breakthrough in the next few years or so.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Maybe we should redirect our collective interests instead towards improving Cryogenics?:badmood:

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, Hellouser, you're probably right.

Jesus I was only joking. Get a sense of humour guys. I know we're all suffering but lighten the hell up, will ya?

Hopefully this leads to a real breakthrough in the next few years or so.

Nothing else should really matter outside of Jahoda and the team in China or possibly even Follica. The final breakthroughs are already there so our focus should be to get Jahoda' and China's findings out the door and into clinics for us to take advantage NOW. 50 years or 10 years... both are stupid projections as we have the capability to get our hair back today... well, theoretically anyway.