**Regime Philosphy**

extremekicks

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's a topic. I'm sure this has been touched upon. If so many pardons.

**Regime Philosphy**

We all know you should give a regime ( your weapons ) at least 6 months to a year to see If you are making any progress. We all know that you also can what we call upgrade to more potent products If a few arent working.

**QUESTION ** But what about switching to 2 or 3 soild reigmes( THAT WORK FOR YOU ) every 3 to 4 months to keep your hair in a growth and maintain phase? Also laying off finasteride, minoxidil, dutasteride, Proscar etc say for a week or two add some hair / system some rest?

This is kind of like bodybuilding - using differnt workouts every 3 months and eating differnt foods and supplements to make gains so your body doesnt get used to its daily activities.

Would changing up your regime coax the DHT? Would this be a answer for longevity as well?

Just a thought I had goin thru my head. Please newbies, juniors , and veterans post your opions and thoughts about this. Im curious.

Be positive and love ur life

Pce Brian

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
i cant see how that would work.

with the bodybuliding analogy, the reason for, say, changing the chest exercises you do, or switching from low number of reps to high number of reps every few weeks is so that the muscle dont get used to what youre doing. but this makes sense in bodybuilding, because you are trying to train your muscles to adapt to lift higher weights, so you dont want them to get used to something.

if, however, you start finasteride, then drop it, then start it, etc, i dont think this will give the hair a "rest". hair doesnt "adapt" to grow better like muscles - totally different. what will happen is, if theres finasteride in your system itll stop most dht production so hair will be free to grow without much negative influence on it. but if you take the finasteride away, all that will happen is the dht will start attacking the hair on it. cant see that as giving the hair a rest.

studies support this...i mean, the finasteride studies show dropping finasteride will cause hair loss. and there was a similar minoxidil study posted on the forums not too long ago. its common knowledge that when you stop these treatment..you will shed.

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The less DHT the better. I would not skip finasteride/dutasteride doses. I can see no benifit to letting DHT levels go up.

Skipping a day or three on minoxidil shouldnt be so bad. But I would never go more then a week without it. When dieting, would you eat for a month and then starve for a month? Of course not. Dont starve your follicles.

The bodybuilding analogy makes sense on a certain level, but even though you're "switching it up", youre still working the same muscles, just in different ways. Different hairloss treatments attack from totally different angles,. and if one of those angles is making a difference, letting it slip will cause atrophy.

The Gardener

Reaction score
I think that consistency is KEY. I would never intentionally skip a day of minoxidil and, quite to the contrary, think it is very important to apply twice a day.

Same with finasteride. A week on and a week off of finasteride?! What a tease that must be for the gonads.

Now I think your philosophy does apply when it comes to shampoos. I think it would be good to mix up your anti-inflammatories, but always keep a good baseline of Nizoral at least twice a week.

Reaction score
I don't think Propecia needs any resting phase as it lowers DHT.

But for minoxidil I usually stop 3-5 days straight per month just to be on the safe side and avoid tolerance. I've learned that there is no such thing as minoxidil tolerance but I'm just playing it safe thats all.

Even Dr.Lewenberg says you can stop minoxidil one month per year. I think its a good idea.

So if anyone is attracted to the philosophy the original poster of this thread made, I'd say stay on the Propecia but for minoxidil you could:

A. stop 3-5 days/month
B. stop 2 weeks every 6 months.
C. stop 1 month every year (backed by Dr.Lewenberg.

But if you don't worry about tolerance, I say just don't stop at all. Stopping the minoxidil is for people who worry like I do.

G

HAIRLOSSMILITANT said:
But for minoxidil I usually stop 3-5 days straight per month just to be on the safe side and avoid tolerance. I've learned that there is no such thing as minoxidil tolerance but I'm just playing it safe thats all.

Even Dr.Lewenberg says you can stop minoxidil one month per year. I think its a good idea...

C. stop 1 month every year (backed by Dr.Lewenberg.

Why did Dr. Lewenberg say it is good to stop one month per year? What did he specifically say about stopping minoxidil for a period of time and why?

twmajors

Established Member
Reaction score

Where did you learn that there's no such thing as minoxidil tolerance? I've heard, quite often, that after a couple years you need to increase the dosage. Also, I think everybody here would love more information on the resting a month a year and the consistent breaks. If there's an article, please post it, or if you have any clinical evidence to support this. :D

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Twmajors, here is a kickass thread that dispells myths regarding Minoxidil. Enlightening comments are made by one of HairLossTalk.com's resident experts, Bryan.

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... php?t=8350

People think that theres a minoxidil tollerance factor because eventually people go bald anyways. What they dont realize is that Minoxidil never actually does anything to counter the effects of MBP. Heres an excerpt from that thread.

Bryan said:
minoxidil's peak effect at inducing that "offset of extra growth" does occur around the 1-year point, on average. After that, the balding process continues at its same inexorable rate. [...] you can't "rely" on minoxidil to retain hairs, except to the limited extent that it buys you a little more time.

extremekicks

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey...

I guess I should reword what I meant. I can see keeping on finasteride and or Proscar. But then change up the topicals in cycles to possibly get continous growth. Some good ideas and suggestions...Keep em coming.

Pce Brian